Chapman 2011! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nacirema

New

Re: Chapman 2011!

Post by Nacirema » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Law23 wrote:I want to start by saying thank you for answering our questions. My first questions is how many hours do you study per week and what is the norm? Also, I hear the program is competitive, but the students are friendly. I feel that is almost a paradox, can you please elaborate on that.

Before you started law school, is there anything you did or wish you did to be prepared? Lastly, do you know why Chapman dropped over 10 spots in the USNR, and in the next few years do you see the school ranked higher, if so, why?

Yeah so your life is going to suck in law school. Everything you did in undergrade is seriously easy in comparison. However, Chapman is def manageable. I have a pretty set schedule. I wake up at 7 and I am at the lilbrary by 8. I read, brief cases, go to class, and memorize stuff until around 9ish at night. I take an hour lunch and dinner and run for about 30 mins also, but my life was pretty devoted to school.

Additionally, the students are very friendly. Law school is very competitive but for some reason Chapman has a pretty laid back atmosphere. Students are going to try to out perform you for sure, but everyone is generally willing to start study groups, share outlines, or go over material (you just have share something with people if you want something)

I read a book before law school and it was useless. Have fun this summer because life is about to get a litte crazy.

Chapman's drop did suck. Everyone was really upset. The rankings do matter. However, most of the drop was because of the way the US News ranking methodology changed. They gave more points to key areas that Chapman was not focusing on to increase the rankings. Further, Chapman did not have a dean for the past year and a half. Additionally, there was a 5 way tie for 95th place, and four way tie for 100th which bumped us out.

I think realistically, Chapman will move back into the 90s next year, and will be in the low-mid 80s by the time you graduate. Chapman has changed dramatically since 2005 and is now a viable contender with Loyola. Chapman's feeder schools are UCLA, USC, UC Santa Barbara, and UCI so there gaining a lot of undergraduate recognition finally. Further, Chapman will increase because the Dean is legit. He was the Dean of Berkeley Business School and moved them in rankings from 15 to 3. Further, he is a rock start in the republican politics and all the rich white donors love him. Moreover he is job focused and has already made changes for Chapman to invade the job market.

Caveat: I just want you to be realistic when it comes to job placement. One or two students from Chapman will get a Big Law job with 150,000 salary. However, this is not the norm because most students graduate and work for private practice, governement, or mid sized firms and make about 70k.

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Nacirema wrote:
Law23 wrote: I read a book before law school and it was useless. Have fun this summer because life is about to get a litte crazy.

Which book was that, if you don't mind my asking?

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 am

got in off the waitlist today! there is still hope!

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm

/
Last edited by longhornlaw on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Man this is taking forever. Anybody else still waiting?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hbliam

New

Post by hbliam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm

homerless wrote:Man this is taking forever. Anybody else still waiting?
I applied late and gave them a bit off leeway for that but...I withdrew from the waitlist. I got in at the other two schools I applied to (late as well) and would rather go somewhere that can process an application and give me a decision within five months :roll: . I'd have more respect for a place that flat out denied me rather then string me along thinking they are so desirable I will drop everything to go there.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I applied late but not THAT late..Ive been in Review since March...submitted Jan. I've already been accepted elsewhere, but I'd like to complete my cylce lol...this is totally ridiculous. I emailed, and they said to sit tight.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:31 pm

FYI Admitted as of Today. Does Anyone know when they let you know about scholly money?

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Last edited by longhornlaw on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nacirema

New

Post by Nacirema » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 pm

jstubbs wrote:FYI Admitted as of Today. Does Anyone know when they let you know about scholly money?
Congrats man!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:15 am

Just a heads up, got my admit packet today. 60% scholly with 3.0 contingency for renewal. I'm pretty sure Im going to withdraw and will go to Pepperdine instead, so my spot and some $$ are going back into the pot, good luck to those still waiting!

Danimal

New

Post by Danimal » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:03 pm

Admitted from the waitlist today...3.6/150

I guess writing a LOCI, sending in an updated resume, doing the online chat, and visiting in person made up for my LSAT score.

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm

In yesterday via status checker. No packet as of today.

Glad they finally started moving again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TXJD

New

Post by TXJD » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Nacirema wrote:Hi guys I stumbled on this page. I currently go to Chapman and I am ranked pretty high. If you guys need any advice or just want scoop on the profs let me know!

btw track three is the best track!
How many hours of actual class time can we expect? Is it an 8 to 5 situation? If not, what is the spread of hours during the day? I'm just trying to plan my commute, possible dog-walker, etc.

Danimal

New

Post by Danimal » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Anyone need a roommate for the upcoming school year? Feel free to contact me :D

stadt

New

Post by stadt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 am

Waitlisted since May. What are my changes at this point?

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Admitted off the WL on Friday.

No money though. Anyone know how open they are to negotiating money?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homerless

New

Post by homerless » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:34 pm

I remember at the info session, they were pretty particular about not just matching grants. They look at the rank of the other schools offering money, your numbers relevant to 75th percentiles for both schools, etc. Overall, I would guess negotiating might not be so easy.

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 pm

I got pulled off the waitlist a couple weeks ago and I didn't get my scholarship offer until yesterday, so you might want to hold out on that one. Also, had been planning to go to Southwestern but didn't get any money there but now I am trying to negotiate some money from them because I would rather be up in LA and still waiting out on Pepperdine. But needless to say a spot and some money will be thrown back in to the pot most likely so don't give up

JOE!

New

Post by JOE! » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm

If anybody is looking for a place to live, I'm going to be moving and need to find a tenant (or two) for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in Orange. I can tell you from experience it's a great place to live while going to Chapman Law.

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm

Would it be outrageous to live in Santa Monica and go to chapman?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm

ashle484 wrote:Would it be outrageous to live in Santa Monica and go to chapman?
depends on your definition of outrageous, but are you from LA? Honestly that is a ridiculous commute. It prob. would take you around 1.5 hours each way...I dont think you want to commit 3 hours of pure drive time when you are trying to Study...why Santa Monica? I'm born and bred in LA so if you need tips on where to live hit me up.

TXJD

New

Post by TXJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 pm

jstubbs wrote:
ashle484 wrote:Would it be outrageous to live in Santa Monica and go to chapman?
depends on your definition of outrageous, but are you from LA? Honestly that is a ridiculous commute. It prob. would take you around 1.5 hours each way...I dont think you want to commit 3 hours of pure drive time when you are trying to Study...why Santa Monica? I'm born and bred in LA so if you need tips on where to live hit me up.
I live in Loma Linda and am planning on taking the metrolink from riverside into Orange most days, that way, with a pair of headphones, I can use the commute time to study. Just a thought, in case there's a convenient line that will get you there from santa monica.

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am

Well I currently live in orange county, but had had my heart moving to la because I was going to go to southwestern and ride out the waitlist at pepperdine but because Chapman is now offering me a scholarship and Southwestern claims to have no more money to give out I can't pass up the opportunity at Chapman but hopefully the commute won't be all that bad

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 am

well, Go to Santa Monica Monday morning and do the commute to see what its like and if you can handle it. It will not be pretty. I was commuting to Costa Mesa and it was a killer, Chapman is even further.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”