Chapman 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TXJD

Re: Chapman 2011!

Postby TXJD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:52 pm

I've been in review since 3/25. Hopefully, things will start moving more quickly now that the 1st seat deposit deadline has passed. At least that's what I've been telling myself to keep from throwing my computer at the wall.

observationalist

Postby observationalist » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
observationalist wrote:We should have the 2009 data ready to go in LST's data clearinghouse soon. But in the meantime, I encourage you to look at the 2009 spreadsheet taken from U.S. News. Of note:

Out of 199 ABA approved law schools, just 16 reported more graduates in jobs that didn't require bar admission than Chapman. Only 53.7% of Chapman grads found FT work that required bar admissions in 2009. This was the best hiring year on record, prior to the bubble. In its best year, just half of Chapman grads found FT legal work. Without accurate data on 2010 grads (which requires you contacting the school and making a request), it's reasonable to assume things were about twice as poor. This means a 1 in 4 shot of finding FT legal work of any nature.

22.7% of the Class of 09 was represented in the salary information. Just 42% of private sector graduates reported salaries. That means that the reported 25th/median/75ths of $45K, $60K and $78K most likely reflect only the top fifth of the class. To state the same thing in another way: the top 10% of Chapman's '09 class turned out making $60K or more, while the top 20% landed you a legal job making somewhere around $45K, and nearly half the class could not find full-time legal work of any nature.

I encourage you to contact the school directly for Class of 2010 employment data, and to ask them very specific questions that can help you prepare financially. I would also ask them about any new programs the school has developed to prepare graduates for solo practice, since that is likely where a large chunk of the bar admission-required people are ending up these days. G'luck.

Look, it's great y'all want to get more traffic to your website, but Jesus, stick to the employment thread. If we were asking questions about employment in this thread, then this would be warranted. We're here talking about the admissions process. We're all adults here; even if this advice has good intentions, you're coming off in ways you probably didn't intend to.

tl; dr: stick to the employment thread, we'll keep this about law school acceptances, denials, and waitlists.

Don't feed the trolls. Whoops.

Understood... apologies for the unintended consequences. I was just correcting information based on someone's earlier post about LST, and since we work with applicants to make informed choices I wanted to clarify what our resources are intended to show. I mean no harm to anyone who's planning or hoping to attend, but I do encourage those of you who are accepted to contact the school and seek more current data. Since any information you can find will be helpful for other applicants, it's probably a good idea to post responses in this thread (other than employment, which isn't geared towards helping people decide where to attend.) G'luck.

TXJD

Postby TXJD » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:31 pm

observationalist wrote:
longhornlaw wrote:
observationalist wrote:We should have the 2009 data ready to go in LST's data clearinghouse soon. But in the meantime, I encourage you to look at the 2009 spreadsheet taken from U.S. News. Of note:

Out of 199 ABA approved law schools, just 16 reported more graduates in jobs that didn't require bar admission than Chapman. Only 53.7% of Chapman grads found FT work that required bar admissions in 2009. This was the best hiring year on record, prior to the bubble. In its best year, just half of Chapman grads found FT legal work. Without accurate data on 2010 grads (which requires you contacting the school and making a request), it's reasonable to assume things were about twice as poor. This means a 1 in 4 shot of finding FT legal work of any nature.

22.7% of the Class of 09 was represented in the salary information. Just 42% of private sector graduates reported salaries. That means that the reported 25th/median/75ths of $45K, $60K and $78K most likely reflect only the top fifth of the class. To state the same thing in another way: the top 10% of Chapman's '09 class turned out making $60K or more, while the top 20% landed you a legal job making somewhere around $45K, and nearly half the class could not find full-time legal work of any nature.

I encourage you to contact the school directly for Class of 2010 employment data, and to ask them very specific questions that can help you prepare financially. I would also ask them about any new programs the school has developed to prepare graduates for solo practice, since that is likely where a large chunk of the bar admission-required people are ending up these days. G'luck.

Look, it's great y'all want to get more traffic to your website, but Jesus, stick to the employment thread. If we were asking questions about employment in this thread, then this would be warranted. We're here talking about the admissions process. We're all adults here; even if this advice has good intentions, you're coming off in ways you probably didn't intend to.

tl; dr: stick to the employment thread, we'll keep this about law school acceptances, denials, and waitlists.

Don't feed the trolls. Whoops.

Understood... apologies for the unintended consequences. I was just correcting information based on someone's earlier post about LST, and since we work with applicants to make informed choices I wanted to clarify what our resources are intended to show. I mean no harm to anyone who's planning or hoping to attend, but I do encourage those of you who are accepted to contact the school and seek more current data. Since any information you can find will be helpful for other applicants, it's probably a good idea to post responses in this thread (other than employment, which isn't geared towards helping people decide where to attend.) G'luck.

Thank you for being polite and trying to inform, but PLEASE post this somewhere on a thread that is geared toward DECISIONS. This thread is just for the application/admission process. We don't come look at this thread to decide on schools. We come to this thread to get a sense of where other applicants are, and maybe a little bit to commiserate.

lilcalisunshine

Postby lilcalisunshine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Observantionlist----Thank you very much for responding so politely, I think we were all a little bit fussed by the attitude of other people so may have jumped at you unnecessarily! It's very smart business practice of you to correct incorrect information presented by others! Thanks!!

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Last edited by longhornlaw on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilcalisunshine

Postby lilcalisunshine » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Email Colby! I'm sure he'd love to hear from you :P

dtl

Postby dtl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 am

Term: Year: 2011
Program Time: Full Time Day Degree: JD
Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 1/24/2011

Anyone else get this sort of treatment? I am > their 75th on LSAT and over the 50th on GPA too.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:50 am

Last edited by longhornlaw on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filter0922

Postby filter0922 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 am

I've been following this thread for a few months now and thought I'd jump in.

I spoke with admissions yesterday. There are over 900 applications in review right now and it'll take at least 6 weeks before I receive a decision from them. It could be longer pending how quickly the committee reads, but it will be awhile.

Submitted 2/27/11, Complete 4/4/11

TXJD

Postby TXJD » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 pm

filter0922 wrote:I've been following this thread for a few months now and thought I'd jump in.

I spoke with admissions yesterday. There are over 900 applications in review right now and it'll take at least 6 weeks before I receive a decision from them. It could be longer pending how quickly the committee reads, but it will be awhile.

So, since I went complete on 3/4/11, can I expect to wait at least 2 weeks? Ugh

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:25 pm

nkra

Postby nkra » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:36 pm

dtl wrote:Term: Year: 2011
Program Time: Full Time Day Degree: JD
Current Status: In Review
Current Status Date: 1/24/2011

Anyone else get this sort of treatment? I am > their 75th on LSAT and over the 50th on GPA too.

I had a similar in review date as you (I think I was maybe a little earlier), and I was accepted last week. I was above their 75th for GPA and around the median for LSAT. I received a very small scholarship and my first deposit is due the first week of May. Not sure what I'm going to end up doing yet.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:33 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
filter0922 wrote:I've been following this thread for a few months now and thought I'd jump in.

Holy hell, that's a lot of applicants still. Guess that explains why so many new folks have appeared on LSN. Good luck to you.

On a housing note, have any of y'all looked at the graduate housing that Chapman offers? They own a bunch of nice looking houses, for a pretty good rental rate too. Any older folks on here know anything about them?

I know a few people that live in them. Space is really limited. Some of them are actually on Glassell right next to the school. I don't think i'd like to live on that street (across the street from a bunch of frat houses) but its definitely worth looking into.

Also, some people may disagree with this, but I recommend not living with fellow law students. For the sake of your emotional well-being, you should have a few non-school related spheres in your life.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:05 pm

twert wrote:
longhornlaw wrote:

Holy hell, that's a lot of applicants still. Guess that explains why so many new folks have appeared on LSN. Good luck to you.

On a housing note, have any of y'all looked at the graduate housing that Chapman offers? They own a bunch of nice looking houses, for a pretty good rental rate too. Any older folks on here know anything about them?

I know a few people that live in them. Space is really limited. Some of them are actually on Glassell right next to the school. I don't think i'd like to live on that street (across the street from a bunch of frat houses) but its definitely worth looking into.

Also, some people may disagree with this, but I recommend not living with fellow law students. For the sake of your emotional well-being, you should have a few non-school related spheres in your life.

I was hoping to live within walking distance of the school... Is this possible if you don't get into the graduate housing? I'm from Irvine and could live with non-law students, but I really don't want to make an unnecessary 30 minute drive, especially with gas prices on the rise :/

twert

Postby twert » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:37 pm

there are lots of little houses and apartments within walking distance of the school. I live about two miles away, i walk sometimes but its a little far. You can probably find roommates on craigslist within walking distance.

TXJD

Postby TXJD » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm

In via status checker today!

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 pm

TXJD

Postby TXJD » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Yup! I think we should form our own student organization.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:11 pm

TXJD wrote:In via status checker today!

YAY congratulations! :)

TXJD

Postby TXJD » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 pm

A mail miracle happened today because I got the acceptance packet the day after they said they mailed it, what?! 80% scholarship! Thanks to yall who had scholarships and withdrew!

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:41 pm

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Good God. I felt like Charlie Bucket in Willy Wonka as my stomach sank when I read, "Thank you for applying." This feeling only lasted 1 second, because I immediately scrolled over to reveal the part where it says, "The review process takes approximately 8-10 weeks."

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 am

wtf, just noticed that under requirements it shows a box for personal statement and resume and they are both unchecked. Does this mean they are missing and I need to send them?? I checked on LSAC and it looks like my resume and ps was submitted. Did anyone else get this on their status while they were waiting?

biglonestar

Postby biglonestar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:20 am

Mine says the same thing but I already submitted both. Not sure what it means.

homerless

Postby homerless » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 am

Same for me. I submitted app like last last minute though. I figure they just need time to catch up and review what was sent, etc. If I recall right, I had the same issue with Loyola.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”