Buffalo Waiting Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pereira6

Re: Buffalo Waiting Thread

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm not sure if anyone noticed it, but UB moved ahead of Syracuse in the US News rankings. 85th compared to 100th.

Why anyone would choose Syracuse over UB--unless they received a mega scholarship from SU--is beyond me now that UB even has them beat from step one.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Damn it! Every time I scroll through the new posts, I see this and misread it as "Buffalo Wing Thread." Damn you Buffalo applicants for getting my hopes up!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:18 pm

yo! wrote:Damn it! Every time I scroll through the new posts, I see this and misread it as "Buffalo Wing Thread." Damn you Buffalo applicants for getting my hopes up!

Didn't you know? It's also the Buffalo Wing Thread. Anchor Bar is where it's at.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 am

I did not realize this thread existed, and I must say it is of higher quality than the 2014 one.

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:18 am

pereira6 wrote:Why anyone would choose Syracuse over UB--unless they received a mega scholarship from SU--is beyond me now that UB even has them beat from step one.

I am aware of a few of my friends from UG that factored in how good the basketball/football programs were when choosing their law school. Needless to say they are dumbasses but they are out there. (OMFG I'm gonna go to S because their bball team won the tourney when melo went there and I like the color orange)

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:23 pm

anyone hear anything from financial aid?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 am

taxnstuff wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Why anyone would choose Syracuse over UB--unless they received a mega scholarship from SU--is beyond me now that UB even has them beat from step one.

I am aware of a few of my friends from UG that factored in how good the basketball/football programs were when choosing their law school. Needless to say they are dumbasses but they are out there. (OMFG I'm gonna go to S because their bball team won the tourney when melo went there and I like the color orange)

2 years ago, many people would argue UB football would have creamed SU. I agree.

jln82

Postby jln82 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 pm

northwood wrote:anyone hear anything from financial aid?

I submitted a complete form early-mid Feb and I've heard nothing. I was thinking about calling UB but something tells me wait til April 1.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:05 am

withdrawing on monday. best of luck to those that go!

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:30 pm

northwood wrote:withdrawing on monday. best of luck to those that go!

did you decide where you're going instead?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm

it will be syracuse or pittsburgh.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:08 pm

northwood wrote:it will be syracuse or pittsburgh.

If it's Syracuse, it better be cheaper! :)

jln82

Postby jln82 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:40 pm

I think I'm going to check out the Encore event in a few weeks. Did anybody go to the last one? Was it fun?

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Anyone going to the luncheon in NYC on the 30th?

jln82

Postby jln82 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:56 pm

taxnstuff wrote:Anyone going to the luncheon in NYC on the 30th?

I had no idea there was one? Where's info for that event?

KCBUFF

Postby KCBUFF » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 pm

hey guys Im going to the accepted students stuff on the 15th and 16th The one on the 15th is being held at coles, which was voted one of the best beer bars in the world. They have an incredible selection of beers.

sportsstar5

Postby sportsstar5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 am

I have a question in reference to Buffalo's personal statement criteria explanation that I included below.

I've been planning on using a very-well written personal statement that I wrote for several schools. Their description seems to refer to abroad experiences, employment, or involvement. These are all things I included in my resume, and I thought we're supposed to not repeat resumes in personal statements, and rather include a unique take on who we are and/or who we have become up to this point. My essay focuses on an experience that made me into the dedicated person with a community service mindset that I am today. It is a personal statement, rather than a resume like UB's description seems to covey.

Is this ok? What did you do or what do you think? Thanks so much.

Your response should be at most two double-spaced pages in length.

The Admission Committee values good writers and in fact, considers the personal statement a key component in the application process. Please provide a supplementary statement with additional information or commentary that you believe will assist the Admission Committee in evaluating your application. Please refer to concrete examples drawn from your background including experience in other countries or cultures, employment, community activities, educational, and intellectual experiences you believe will be helpful to the committee.

sportsstar5

Postby sportsstar5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 am

Hi,

Quick question....

One or more applications including the Buffalo application asks to list awards and recognition I received and reasons why which awards were made. This is in addition to a resume.

Should I put the same awards that are on my resume? What would I put for a reason why receiving an award (something like having a high gpa and good character standing)? Is this what you did?

Thanks so much!

sportsstar5

Postby sportsstar5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Does anyone who applied have any info regarding the personal statement? Still trying to see if I can reuse my main, well-written one. I wanted to avoid writing a personal statement repeating my resume like their prompt indicates. Thanks.

caller10

Postby caller10 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:36 pm

sportsstar5 wrote:Does anyone who applied have any info regarding the personal statement? Still trying to see if I can reuse my main, well-written one. I wanted to avoid writing a personal statement repeating my resume like their prompt indicates. Thanks.

I have applied to Buffalo. I just wrote a personal statement for them with my experiences that made me want to be a lawyer and was accepted. It's up to you though if you want to rewrite your personal statement or not. you could always call the admissions office and ask them if it would hurt you not to follow their personal statement instruction. Also, there is a buffalo thread for the 2015 application cycle a little further back in this forum too instead of using this one that is older.

akarenina

Postby akarenina » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:43 pm

sportsstar5 wrote:Does anyone who applied have any info regarding the personal statement? Still trying to see if I can reuse my main, well-written one. I wanted to avoid writing a personal statement repeating my resume like their prompt indicates. Thanks.

If it helps I used the same personal statement that I used for all the other schools I applied to (obviously tweaking it a bit to say why I wanted to go to UB) and I got accepted. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you have a solid PS already.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”