Buffalo Waiting Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Re: Buffalo Waiting Thread

Post by jetergrl2ss » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 pm

northwood, do you remember when you went complete? I just went complete 12/7 so I'm not expecting anything right away. just trying to figure out what kind of time line i'm looking at. also, did you say you're a SUNY product? Which one? I'm @ Geneseo

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:05 pm

I sent it on November 15th, got a status checker december 2nd. Went complete december 2nd( why it took so long, i dont know- I had everything in by october 29th). I am a suny product as well( im a freddy).

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:24 pm

I mostly applied as a low cost safety. Anyone else, especially SUNY students worried about budget cuts?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:06 pm

First acceptance!

Sent 11/17, Complete 12/2, Acceptance package in mailbox today. I don't know when I got the status checker, I don't really look at those for any of the schools haha I just let the decisions come when they do.

Numbers way above the medians (I think thats why the decision came quickly...), but I love the school and I think it gets a very bad rap in the rankings even though it does really well regionally. I know a lot of recent UB Law grads doing really well. For anyone considering going here, I strongly encourage it! I don't think I'll end up here, but it's a good school.

Anyone know when scholarship decisions are made? I know because of low tuition they don't give out many but the few they do give out I was wondering when they do it.

I got the Faculty Research Scholar invitation, basically a 3000$ work-study stipend. I don't think that counts as a scholarship.

Waiting for acceptances to the big-timers now! Good luck everyone, and again, I love UB, and I think anyone who goes here will too.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:09 pm

did you get anything in your packet about scholarship info? Alli got was the acceptance letter, the faculty directory, UB law magazine and a snapshot of 4 students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:13 pm

The only thing I got that you didn't was a letter about the Faculty Research Scholars...nothin about scholarships. I don't wanna sound like "that guy" haha but from what I understand its expected they're gonna give me something in the form of a scholarship, so if they didn't give out scholly info now then probably later. I'm going to ask the admissions office on Monday, I'll let you know!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 pm

thanks. Im just above both medians so im just wondering. Im really happy bc i get instate tuition, and I would seriously consider living the rest of my life in buffalo.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow TOTALLY missed this on my admissions letter. Scholarship information was in the letter:

"In addition to your offer of admission we are pleased to offer you a merit scholarship in the amount of 5,000$ per academic year for 3 years. As a public law school, we have limited scholarship money".

I included that last sentence because it should be noted UB is dirt cheap with a low cost of living. So a 15,000 scholarship is pretty decent for them.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:50 am

congragulations! guess im out of the running for scholarship money ( unless i can negotiate one). I wonder how much help they give for finacial aide? I hope New York State TAP can help

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawboy22

New

Post by lawboy22 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Got my acceptance package in the mail yesterday. Im a UB undergrad product, but I was a little disappointed with the scholarship offer. I fully understand they're a public school with limited funds, but its impossible to turn down better offers to higher ranked schools in order to pay to stay here. It's a great school though and the library is amazing! Best of luck to those that choose to go to UB Law!

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:58 am

Status Checker says Decision rendered as of today. Will be watching the mail...

dstr15

New

Post by dstr15 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 pm

I received the admission packet today (decision rendered 12-9). Instate tuition is mad cheap plus they gave me a 5,000 dollar scholarship. It will be hard to turn down this offer.

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:14 pm

In w/ $5000 also

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Hey guys, Im also out of SUNY (Brockport), and was just wondering what turned you guys on to UB. I mean obviously if you are in state, then its about as cheap as it gets, but is there something else?

itsnotrealme

New

Post by itsnotrealme » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Every time I came across this thread, I thought it is " Buffalo wings thread" lol

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Should be renamed that haha

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:30 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Hey guys, Im also out of SUNY (Brockport), and was just wondering what turned you guys on to UB. I mean obviously if you are in state, then its about as cheap as it gets, but is there something else?
It's cheap, underrated as a law school (only law school in a major American city + Rochester). I only applied cause its my UG, and probably will go somewhere else, but it's a quality school. Definitely better than the garbage schools that US News compares it with, anyways. UB isn't gunning for the top 30 or 40 but its got almost all of the major components of a pretty quality place to get a law degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Anyone hear from Buffalo lately? I have been complete for a few weeks, suspense is killing me. Anyone accepted willing to share numbers?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 pm

158 3.53 ny resident

i got my acceptance in the postal mail though

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Im a SUNY product. Budget cuts are definitely a real concern. I dont know if this applies as much to UB that is sort of on its own in the SUNY world.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah SUNY here as well. Budget cuts are worrisome. Most people I have talked to that are alums and what not think that is a big reason for UB's drop in rankings. Still a good school though.

I have a 156 3.86. I got my first denial today from Lewis & Clark, so now I am worried. Buffalo is the only school I can realistically afford with that lsat. Just hope it is enough.

Another question. I can't find Buffalo on LSP. Am I blind?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 pm

its not on there.
for the class of 2013
UB's medians are 158 and 3.48

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Yeah SUNY here as well. Budget cuts are worrisome. Most people I have talked to that are alums and what not think that is a big reason for UB's drop in rankings. Still a good school though.

I have a 156 3.86. I got my first denial today from Lewis & Clark, so now I am worried. Buffalo is the only school I can realistically afford with that lsat. Just hope it is enough.

Another question. I can't find Buffalo on LSP. Am I blind?
When you get so far down the rankings, LSP becomes a real crapshoot and not very accurate.

Put together a good app, and your SUNY status will get you in UB. You'll love UB as well, if you're not here already.

I should say, if it's possible, take a year off and retake. Just getting up to a 162 would do wonders for you.

Either way, UB is pretty legit.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm

I am so fucked. I just started working at an insurance company, that median could mean I will be doing ARC for the next year and a half. Fuck.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I am so fucked. I just started working at an insurance company, that median could mean I will be doing ARC for the next year and a half. Fuck.
Hey now, don't get all stressed! When you get lower in the rankings the 25-75 LSAT range can get wide at some places.

Your 3.8 is solid, and if you have a good app UB will like you. I have a feeling you'll get in no problem.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”