Buffalo Waiting Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iceman389

Bronze

Re: Buffalo Waiting Thread

Post by Iceman389 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

ohmylord wrote:Well, since I'm here, how many people got scholarships in their acceptance letters? It feels like I'm the only one who didn't get a cent from the school. I received my acceptance email about two weeks back and the actual letter a couple of days after. In neither of these letters is a scholarship mentioned. Meanwhile, Syracuse, Albany, and St. John's have offered me money, and if I'm getting this correctly, they're in a higher ranking than Buffalo this year.

So would it be hard to try to get some money from Buffalo if I mention that someplace like Syracuse or even Albany have given me money to make it comparable to Buffalo's sticker price?

Also, to note, I'm in-state, and there's no retaking the LSATs.

157/3.63
Buffalo doesn't really give out too much scholarship money but that nice $17,000 in-state tuition they have would still make it cheaper than those other schools. And in-state tuition doesn't have a grade stipulation...

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
ohmylord wrote:Well, since I'm here, how many people got scholarships in their acceptance letters? It feels like I'm the only one who didn't get a cent from the school. I received my acceptance email about two weeks back and the actual letter a couple of days after. In neither of these letters is a scholarship mentioned. Meanwhile, Syracuse, Albany, and St. John's have offered me money, and if I'm getting this correctly, they're in a higher ranking than Buffalo this year.

So would it be hard to try to get some money from Buffalo if I mention that someplace like Syracuse or even Albany have given me money to make it comparable to Buffalo's sticker price?

Also, to note, I'm in-state, and there's no retaking the LSATs.

157/3.63
Buffalo doesn't really give out too much scholarship money but that nice $17,000 in-state tuition they have would still make it cheaper than those other schools. And in-state tuition doesn't have a grade stipulation...
That's odd to say because the Syracuse and St. John scholarships do require me to keep up a certain GPA in order to retain the scholarship. And I actually heard from pereira6 they tend to give out $5,000 scholarships, which is MUCH better than nothing especially since I really need the money.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Syracuse tuition= 44k year
Albany= 44k a year
Buffalo= 17k a year

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 pm

northwood wrote:Syracuse tuition= 44k year
Albany= 44k a year
Buffalo= 17k a year
I know how much each is at sticker. Really really concerned about scholarships than something I already know.

I feel like nothing is getting answered, just danced around. Competition much?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:13 pm

ohmylord wrote:
Albany= 44k a year
Buffalo= 17k a year
I know how much each is at sticker. Really really concerned about scholarships than something I already know.

its going to be hard for buffalo to give you money. they will look at the sticker prices of each school and let you know that they are still less expensive than those schools. UB doesnt have as much money to give than the other 2. private schools usually have more scholarship funds than public schools, as state run schools have to share.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:38 pm

northwood wrote:
ohmylord wrote:
Albany= 44k a year
Buffalo= 17k a year

its going to be hard for buffalo to give you money. they will look at the sticker prices of each school and let you know that they are still less expensive than those schools. UB doesnt have as much money to give than the other 2. private schools usually have more scholarship funds than public schools, as state run schools have to share.
Well, it would be strange for a school to assume everyone is going to be giving me sticker price. Unless it's a very poorly run institution, they have to assume I'm going to be offered SOMETHING from the other schools. In this case, all of the others schools that have accepted me have given me some kind of money, with Albany putting itself at a very comparable price to Buffalo's sticker, making Buffalo's decision to give me money sway.

If they seriously go by just sticker price purely, then it sounds to me that's the last school I want to go to (a school with poor foresight).

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:54 pm

ohmylord wrote:
northwood wrote:
ohmylord wrote:
Albany= 44k a year
Buffalo= 17k a year

Well, it would be strange for a school to assume everyone is going to be giving me sticker price. Unless it's a very poorly run institution, they have to assume I'm going to be offered SOMETHING from the other schools. In this case, all of the others schools that have accepted me have given me some kind of money, with Albany putting itself at a very comparable price to Buffalo's sticker, making Buffalo's decision to give me money sway.

If they seriously go by just sticker price purely, then it sounds to me that's the last school I want to go to (a school with poor foresight).
Yes, they give out scholarships but it seems like nothing beyond $5k/yr. It looks like the lowest LSAT they've given money to is someone with 158 (see lawschoolnumbers). There may be other things about your applications besides money which have affected your scholarship offer. For instance, where in NY are you from? The ad-comm may not feel you have a strong connection to upstate-NY and therefore think it is unlikely you will attend in the first place.

If you're really serious about attending UB, which IMHO despite the rankings is a better school than either Syracuse or Albany, send them an email or call to express that. The worst they can do is say no to offering you any scholarship money.

FWIW, in the letter about scholarship they practically apologize for the fact that the scholarship is only $5,000/yr. They go into a little detail about how as a state school they have limited funds. HTH

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Yes, they give out scholarships but it seems like nothing beyond $5k/yr. It looks like the lowest LSAT they've given money to is someone with 158 (see lawschoolnumbers). There may be other things about your applications besides money which have affected your scholarship offer. For instance, where in NY are you from? The ad-comm may not feel you have a strong connection to upstate-NY and therefore think it is unlikely you will attend in the first place.

If you're really serious about attending UB, which IMHO despite the rankings is a better school than either Syracuse or Albany, send them an email or call to express that. The worst they can do is say no to offering you any scholarship money.

FWIW, in the letter about scholarship they practically apologize for the fact that the scholarship is only $5,000/yr. They go into a little detail about how as a state school they have limited funds. HTH
Should I try to give them a call immediately about this or wait until mid-March when all of the acceptances been finalized to ask them about it?

I am ~6 hours away from the city, but I am an in-state resident. Driving that distance shouldn't be an issue, especially if they do indeed give me the money to go there.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 pm

ohmylord wrote:

Should I try to give them a call immediately about this or wait until mid-March when all of the acceptances been finalized to ask them about it?

I am ~6 hours away from the city, but I am an in-state resident. Driving that distance shouldn't be an issue, especially if they do indeed give me the money to go there.
You seriously need to consider Buffalo's in-state tuition as a plus, rather than a slap in the face that you didn't give a scholarship.

The other schools have larger endowments available for scholarships BECAUSE of their ridiculously high tuition.

As insinuated to you in the other thread, if you wait a little while (Mid-March), and write a nice, thoughtful, well-written e-mail on perhaps receiving the 5,000 dollar scholarship (I would mention the amount specifically), you have a good shot at getting it. No guarantees though.

Also, screw the rankings. UB is a much better law school for future jobs than Syracuse or Albany, unless you have a real strong connection to Albany. UAlbany also won't get you anywhere in Public Interest any more than UB will; UB actually has a strength in Public Interest.

As the above mentioned, they really do apologize for not being able to give out more money for scholarships. I am a 170/3.85 and I got 5k a year. They just don't have the endowments for scholarships, but I'm totally okay with their stance because its freakin 17k a year. I think I deserved more money for things other than my numbers (I'm a UB undergrad who has done so much for this school, and they know that), but they just couldn't.

I would ask for money, but if they don't give it to you, don't act like they're shortchanging you. UB is the best option for you in my opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daly4889

New

Post by daly4889 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:56 pm

And I will say that on average, over the brief lifetime of US News and World Report Top 100 Rankings, UB has been solidly in the top 100, which is more than Syracuse and especially Albany can say. It fell in this last year's rankings (which is something to at least keep an eye with their trouble with budget cuts), but it is a well regarded program in Upstate New York and just may have a stronger regional rep than Syracuse. And it's cheap.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Plus, for Syracuse your scholarship is stipulated. Even if you are getting 30 a year there and paying less than buffalo at sticker, there is always a chance you will lose it. Buffalo will always be around that price even if tuition goes up.

Still wishing they would get back to me though. I have been in review for almost a month and had my application in in december. It is a little bothersome with all the other schools getting back to me that I applied to at that time.

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 pm

pereira6 wrote:
ohmylord wrote:

You seriously need to consider Buffalo's in-state tuition as a plus, rather than a slap in the face that you didn't give a scholarship.

The other schools have larger endowments available for scholarships BECAUSE of their ridiculously high tuition.

As insinuated to you in the other thread, if you wait a little while (Mid-March), and write a nice, thoughtful, well-written e-mail on perhaps receiving the 5,000 dollar scholarship (I would mention the amount specifically), you have a good shot at getting it. No guarantees though.

Also, screw the rankings. UB is a much better law school for future jobs than Syracuse or Albany, unless you have a real strong connection to Albany. UAlbany also won't get you anywhere in Public Interest any more than UB will; UB actually has a strength in Public Interest.

As the above mentioned, they really do apologize for not being able to give out more money for scholarships. I am a 170/3.85 and I got 5k a year. They just don't have the endowments for scholarships, but I'm totally okay with their stance because its freakin 17k a year. I think I deserved more money for things other than my numbers (I'm a UB undergrad who has done so much for this school, and they know that), but they just couldn't.

I would ask for money, but if they don't give it to you, don't act like they're shortchanging you. UB is the best option for you in my opinion.
Damn, with your scores you could be going to a better school. Aside from the (very awesome) advice, what made you choose Buffalo over anything else?
daly4889 wrote:And I will say that on average, over the brief lifetime of US News and World Report Top 100 Rankings, UB has been solidly in the top 100, which is more than Syracuse and especially Albany can say. It fell in this last year's rankings (which is something to at least keep an eye with their trouble with budget cuts), but it is a well regarded program in Upstate New York and just may have a stronger regional rep than Syracuse. And it's cheap.
That's what I was thinking. Some people on this site are seeing the (very) recent drop as some sign of Buffalo law apocalypse. Glad to see there are more reasonable people out there (there's a difference between realistic expectations and the general pessimistic feeling the forums tend to generate).
StillHerexxx wrote:Plus, for Syracuse your scholarship is stipulated. Even if you are getting 30 a year there and paying less than buffalo at sticker, there is always a chance you will lose it. Buffalo will always be around that price even if tuition goes up.

Still wishing they would get back to me though. I have been in review for almost a month and had my application in in december. It is a little bothersome with all the other schools getting back to me that I applied to at that time.
Your acceptance should be arriving shortly. If not, try to give them a call. I sent my application in mid January and with scores of 157/3.63, so if your resume is even marginally better than mine, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Good luck to you.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

ohmylord wrote:
Damn, with your scores you could be going to a better school. Aside from the (very awesome) advice, what made you choose Buffalo over anything else?
I'm at UB doing my B.A./M.A. Likely going elsewheres for law school. Makes me sad because I literally am the poster boy for UB (I love this place so much; great all around school), but I have to take the opportunities that are given to me.

When you visit UB, be sure to get a hold of me and I'd be more than happy to meet up with you. I'm doing the March ASD also (who can blame a guy for wanting free food and to talk to other law applicants?).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jetergrl2ss

Bronze

Post by jetergrl2ss » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 pm

I agree about Buffalo having a stronger rep than TLS gives it credit for. My uncle is an attorney in Buffalo with one of the largest law firms there and they always hire UB grads.

Several girls in my sorority have gone on to law school at SU, Albany, and Buffalo. The Buffalo 3L's are the ones who have jobs lined up. I know several 2010 SU grads still searching for jobs. Obviously this is anecdotal evidence and I'm not sure about their grades or extracurrics (moot court/law review/etc.) but something to think about.

I'll be visiting UB for the March ASD as well. I'm really looking forward to it actually :D

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:01 pm

pereira6 wrote:
ohmylord wrote:
I'm at UB doing my B.A./M.A. Likely going elsewheres for law school. Makes me sad because I literally am the poster boy for UB (I love this place so much; great all around school), but I have to take the opportunities that are given to me.

When you visit UB, be sure to get a hold of me and I'd be more than happy to meet up with you. I'm doing the March ASD also (who can blame a guy for wanting free food and to talk to other law applicants?).
Makes sense. I might not be able to attend the ASD due to the distance and busy schedule (driving six hours to and then six hours back). I wish to be able to do so, though.

QueenCity1L

New

Post by QueenCity1L » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I just want to add that the employment data for the Class of 2009 is in.
http://law.buffalo.edu/Career_services/ ... atistics10

Where the class of 2008 had a 91% employment rate, really affecting the rankings, the Class of 2009 has a 98% employment rate. The national average is around 90%. Also, the median LSAT score went up a point. That's two heavily weighted ranking criterion improving for UB. For all you ranking-conscious applicants, I think March 15th will bring good news for UB Law.

ohmylord

New

Post by ohmylord » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 am

QueenCity1L wrote:I just want to add that the employment data for the Class of 2009 is in.
http://law.buffalo.edu/Career_services/ ... atistics10

Where the class of 2008 had a 91% employment rate, really affecting the rankings, the Class of 2009 has a 98% employment rate. The national average is around 90%. Also, the median LSAT score went up a point. That's two heavily weighted ranking criterion improving for UB. For all you ranking-conscious applicants, I think March 15th will bring good news for UB Law.
Sounds like good news. Of course, I have to take some of the data with a grain of salt since schools love inflating their own numbers, but regardless, sounds like good news.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am

StillHerexxx wrote:Plus, for Syracuse your scholarship is stipulated. Even if you are getting 30 a year there and paying less than buffalo at sticker, there is always a chance you will lose it. Buffalo will always be around that price even if tuition goes up.

I feel your pain homie...hang in there...its been that long for me as well...just play "Like A Hurricane" and by the time the song is over you'll have your acceptance letter :mrgreen:

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm

pereira6 wrote:
ohmylord wrote:

Where are you going?

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I finally was accepted today. What day in march is the asd? I am still waiting on my letter.

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Applied 01/12/11 - Complete 01/31/11 - Under Review 02/07/11 - Accepted 02/28/11
Finally in the club, I can't wait...sending in my seat deposit when the letter arrives woo hoo!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I finally was accepted today. What day in march is the asd? I am still waiting on my letter.

there is one this saturday, and one in april

seat deposits arent due until april 15th

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:11 pm

So excited I get to stay in Buffalo. I hope you future UB students know how to party because I'll be throwing some good ones, cheers mates!

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:15 am

jln82 wrote:So excited I get to stay in Buffalo. I hope you future UB students know how to party because I'll be throwing some good ones, cheers mates!
Are you at UB undergrad?

jln82

New

Post by jln82 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

I graduated UB in 05' but I've been working out of Buffalo since.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”