DePaul Law School 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
firemed

Silver

Re: DePaul Law School 2014

Post by firemed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:23 pm

dmgreen86 wrote:Miraculously, I'm INTO DePaul with a 150/3.4. First acceptance, and I'll be satisfied if no one else says yes. Very happy right now that I only had to take LSAT once!

Thank goodness for excellent writing skills.
Congrats!!!

Still waiting on my packet... sigh.... why does the postman take so damn long to get here?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote: Congrats!!!

Still waiting on my packet... sigh.... why does the postman take so damn long to get here?

Also waiting! It's stressful, eh?

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 pm

My packet was sent on 11/24 according to DePaul. I just received it today after requesting another one last week. I looked on the envelope because I was curious. The postmark said 11/24. IT TOOK OVER THREE WEEKS TO RECEIVE MAIL FROM CHICAGO TO SAN ANTONIO!!!!! Unbelievable...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:57 pm

MTKennedy wrote:My packet was sent on 11/24 according to DePaul. I just received it today after requesting another one last week. I looked on the envelope because I was curious. The postmark said 11/24. IT TOOK OVER THREE WEEKS TO RECEIVE MAIL FROM CHICAGO TO SAN ANTONIO!!!!! Unbelievable...
Not to be nit-picky, but 11/24 to 12/13 isn't over three weeks... It's about two days shy of three weeks :-)

Glad you finally got it! Hopefully it doesn't take that long for the rest of us! Good news in the packet at least?

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:04 pm

MTKennedy wrote:My packet was sent on 11/24 according to DePaul. I just received it today after requesting another one last week. I looked on the envelope because I was curious. The postmark said 11/24. IT TOOK OVER THREE WEEKS TO RECEIVE MAIL FROM CHICAGO TO SAN ANTONIO!!!!! Unbelievable...
Now I have no way of telling when they sent my packet, but I got it within a week of the acceptance email, and I'm in Houston. Maybe the normal increase in holiday mail got you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BHDLaw

Bronze

Post by BHDLaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Anybody who was accepted care to share how long you were in review? I am UR as of 12/2 and wondering when I might expect a reply. Submitted 11/20 - Under Review 12/2.

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
Now I have no way of telling when they sent my packet, but I got it within a week of the acceptance email, and I'm in Houston. Maybe the normal increase in holiday mail got you?
I don't know what got me. We were accepted on the same day, so I assume yours was sent on the same day. I'm just amazed it took so long to get here.

Also, scholarship info was enclosed, $12k per year.

swilson215

Silver

Post by swilson215 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Got my t-shirt today! :lol: My dad was impressed...

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Got T-shirt and packet.

$18K/yr if I keep a 3.2...

Anyone know where they set their curve at? I am guessing this is a top 1/3 requirement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Not to be nit-picky, but 11/24 to 12/13 isn't over three weeks... It's about two days shy of three weeks :-)

Glad you finally got it! Hopefully it doesn't take that long for the rest of us! Good news in the packet at least?
Well played sir. I meant to write almost and it somehow came out over. My apologies.

I don't think it should take that long for everyone else. Others aren't taking nearly as long.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:36 am

BHDLaw wrote:Anybody who was accepted care to share how long you were in review? I am UR as of 12/2 and wondering when I might expect a reply. Submitted 11/20 - Under Review 12/2.
I submitted 12/1, under review 12/2 and received my acceptance e-mail on 12-9. Still waiting on my packet though.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:56 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:Got T-shirt and packet.

Anyone know where they set their curve at? I am guessing this is a top 1/3 requirement.

Same EXACT deal today. T-Shirt, packet, $18k, 3.2 requirement. Sorry, DePaul... But you're the 4th best school in Chicago, I'm not going to go there on only $18k a year and no guarantee I'll keep the scholarship. I'll definitely take a full-ride, no GPA (good academic standing only) scholarship to St. Thomas in Minneapolis, since I'd rather live there than Chi anyway.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Same EXACT deal today. T-Shirt, packet, $18k, 3.2 requirement. Sorry, DePaul... But you're the 4th best school in Chicago, I'm not going to go there on only $18k a year and no guarantee I'll keep the scholarship. I'll definitely take a full-ride, no GPA (good academic standing only) scholarship to St. Thomas in Minneapolis, since I'd rather live there than Chi anyway.
I am planning on negotiating for higher.... 3/4 ride is required for me to Depaul...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I am planning on negotiating for higher.... 3/4 ride is required for me to Depaul...

I'll probably try this as well. 3/4 ride would be enough for me to seriously consider DePaul... What school/scholarship are you going to use for it? I don't think my T3 full-ride will make much of a difference... Although an Iowa, Illinois, or Minnesota scholarship might. I should hear from Iowa this week, and Illinois will be decided on Friday.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 pm

chrisbru wrote:

I'll probably try this as well. 3/4 ride would be enough for me to seriously consider DePaul... What school/scholarship are you going to use for it? I don't think my T3 full-ride will make much of a difference... Although an Iowa, Illinois, or Minnesota scholarship might. I should hear from Iowa this week, and Illinois will be decided on Friday.
A half ride or more at a better school is your best best.

Full ride at a T3 if you don't have any other option to negotiate, but your hand isn't going to be very strong. Better than nothing though.

Right now I don't have more than a 1/2 scholly anywhere... but we have a month or two before negotiations begin, and I hope to get something somewhere by then I could use.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:57 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
A half ride or more at a better school is your best best.

Full ride at a T3 if you don't have any other option to negotiate, but your hand isn't going to be very strong. Better than nothing though.

Right now I don't have more than a 1/2 scholly anywhere... but we have a month or two before negotiations begin, and I hope to get something somewhere by then I could use.

Same boat. I've only heard from St. Thomas and DePaul on scholarships.

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 pm

25k/year with 3.2 GPA requirement. I really like DePaul but not enough to go 75k in debt and maybe even more if I mess up a semester or something. Anyone know if they ever off full schollies?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArghItsBlarg

Bronze

Post by ArghItsBlarg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

nsideirish wrote:25k/year with 3.2 GPA requirement. I really like DePaul but not enough to go 75k in debt and maybe even more if I mess up a semester or something. Anyone know if they ever off full schollies?
From their ABA Data it looks like no, they don't, but they do seem to offer a handful of full+ scholarships. I'd imagine that's some program/honors scholarship sort of thing.

BHDLaw

Bronze

Post by BHDLaw » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Any word on whether more decisions are likely this week? I submitted 11/25, Complete Email on 12/6, but according to Status Checker under review since 12/2....

QandAphorism

New

Post by QandAphorism » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:29 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Whoa, I would maybe talk to a few other people about this...

Minneapolis > Chicago? Are you serious? 4th best school or not (I actually think it's 5th... Loyola + Kent are both higher... unless you consider Northwestern (Evanston) not in Chicago) I think you'd be making a terrible life decision by chosing St. Thomas over DePaul and Chicago.

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:07 pm

I've actually been pretty impressed with DePaul. They offered me 18k a year if I keep a 3.2 and I have received a few phone calls from them. I really liked the fact that they noticed I was interested in IP law and a professor called to talk to me about it. I wasn't able to answer it but it seem a lot better than some other schools. Of course I haven't made a decision yet and plan on talking to them about raising my scholarship. Im not sure how hard it is to keep a 3.2 but after going through engineering and a very competitive medical masters I think its doable.

Heck, I got into American and I doubt they are going to offer me anything. Im not gonna lie though, I am waiting to hear back from Kent and a few schools in Virginia

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Iceman389

Bronze

Post by Iceman389 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm

I've been under review since 12/2 as well. I'm hoping for a decision Monday or Tuesday of next week...

longhornlaw

Bronze

Post by longhornlaw » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:I've actually been pretty impressed with DePaul. They offered me 18k a year if I keep a 3.2 and I have received a few phone calls from them. I really liked the fact that they noticed I was interested in IP law and a professor called to talk to me about it. I wasn't able to answer it but it seem a lot better than some other schools. Of course I haven't made a decision yet and plan on talking to them about raising my scholarship. Im not sure how hard it is to keep a 3.2 but after going through engineering and a very competitive medical masters I think its doable.

Heck, I got into American and I doubt they are going to offer me anything. Im not gonna lie though, I am waiting to hear back from Kent and a few schools in Virginia
I received a phone call as well, but was actually turned off by it. The professor didn't want to actually talk about anything, just tell me that they would be sending an email with a link in it. Seemed more of a thing they had to do.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:34 pm

QandAphorism wrote: Whoa, I would maybe talk to a few other people about this...

Minneapolis > Chicago? Are you serious? 4th best school or not (I actually think it's 5th... Loyola + Kent are both higher... unless you consider Northwestern (Evanston) not in Chicago) I think you'd be making a terrible life decision by chosing St. Thomas over DePaul and Chicago.
Sorry, personal preferences. I can't stand Chicago, and wouldn't want to live there for 3 years, let alone for a career after it.

QandAphorism

New

Post by QandAphorism » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:42 pm

chrisbru wrote:
QandAphorism wrote: Whoa, I would maybe talk to a few other people about this...

Sorry, personal preferences. I can't stand Chicago, and wouldn't want to live there for 3 years, let alone for a career after it.
There's no accounting for taste/preference... but out of curiosity, why do you dislike Chicago so much?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”