Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:58 pm

tipler4213 wrote:I think people are just bitter b/c Berkeley has holistic review of applications--I only wrote 2 pages and I got in with the first round of admits (no CR) and mediocre numbers...


I just think it's funny people call it holistic at Berk, but YP at Mich/UVA/Penn.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby src42 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:29 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:I think people are just bitter b/c Berkeley has holistic review of applications--I only wrote 2 pages and I got in with the first round of admits (no CR) and mediocre numbers...


I just think it's funny people call it holistic at Berk, but YP at Mich/UVA/Penn.

+1

Holistic = random

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby swl56 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:49 pm

i don't think they're expecting you to write more than one of the supplemental essays at all... unless you are a borderline candidate. fwiw, i was admitted on friday and i do not think my numbers are that strong compared to others, so i wrote all three essays to prove my interest and to make up for my numbers.

thekunstis
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:24 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby thekunstis » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Did anyone call the admissions office to inquire about more info regarding the waitist? Is there a ranking system? Is there any advantage to submitting additional materials prior to May?

somewhere
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby somewhere » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:28 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I wrote a 5-year plan (that was really a Why Penn) and the lit/art essay. Guess this year they reaaally wanted two essays?


maybe, I just wrote the one diversity one.


Me too, like sarahlawg said.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby whitman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:56 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I wrote a 5-year plan (that was really a Why Penn) and the lit/art essay. Guess this year they reaaally wanted two essays?


maybe, I just wrote the one diversity one. and it was a total afterthought that I sent in a week or so after my application because people on here said it was pretty much required (to do an essay). It seems every year people who seem to be shoo-ins, don't get in, and people who you wouldn't think would, do. Who knows what's up with those adcomms.


Yeah, I definitely didn't think I'd get in (172/3.5). I thought my chances were much higher at Michigan than Penn, but I got into Penn after just a month and a half and have been waiting for a decision from Michigan for over 4...

Just wrote one essay, which I submitted as the arts option, but it was really a combination of literature, five year, and why Penn. Maybe that's why I got in?

Regardless, sorry if some of you seemingly YP folks really wanted to go to Penn; good luck getting off the waitlist.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Anyone going to the NYC reception tomorrow?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Has anyone that received the hold email received a final decision on their application (wl/deny/admit)?

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby OutCold » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I never got any info about the NYC reception. :( Definitely would have gone if I had known about it earlier.

User avatar
123xalady
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby 123xalady » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:38 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Anyone going to the NYC reception tomorrow?



I am--not sure if I'll be there before like 6:45 though.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Has anyone that received the hold email received a final decision on their application (wl/deny/admit)?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby DreamShake » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:21 am

ScarryBakhtin wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Has anyone that received the hold email received a final decision on their application (wl/deny/admit)?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.


Also curious about this--I sure haven't...

sargoodie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby sargoodie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 am

DreamShake wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Has anyone that received the hold email received a final decision on their application (wl/deny/admit)?


I would like to know the answer to this as well.


Also curious about this--I sure haven't...


+1. Held on 12/9

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 am

123xalady wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Anyone going to the NYC reception tomorrow?



I am--not sure if I'll be there before like 6:45 though.


Same...see ya there

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Went UR today! Yay!

User avatar
canes
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby canes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Hmm.. just went UCR for the second time
1/27-->2/22

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby 4102011 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I would like to thank Penn for the wine and food at the NYC reception :) <3

User avatar
ChriLa425
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am

UCR since Feb 11th....waiting, waiting, waiting....

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 am

dulcatis wrote:I would like to thank Penn for the wine and food at the NYC reception :) <3


Cheers to that--as well as meeting Excellence=a Habit. I am distributing her number at will to all those interested.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby jrose5 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:UCR since Feb 11th....waiting, waiting, waiting....


Same, submitted 1/08

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby swl56 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:39 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I would like to thank Penn for the wine and food at the NYC reception :) <3


Cheers to that--as well as meeting Excellence=a Habit. I am distributing her number at will to all those interested.


am curious as to how TLSers meet other TLSers... and know who's who. i wouldn't be surprised if we all went by our our usernames instead of our actual names at these things! :lol:

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

swl56 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I would like to thank Penn for the wine and food at the NYC reception :) <3


Cheers to that--as well as meeting Excellence=a Habit. I am distributing her number at will to all those interested.


am curious as to how TLSers meet other TLSers... and know who's who. i wouldn't be surprised if we all went by our our usernames instead of our actual names at these things! :lol:


Personally I can't wait until classes start in the fall and we're all super nervous about the cold calling but then some world renowned professor is going to break the silence with, "So law_monkey, what are the facts of whatever v. whatever?" It'll be great! :D

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

swl56 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I would like to thank Penn for the wine and food at the NYC reception :) <3


Cheers to that--as well as meeting Excellence=a Habit. I am distributing her number at will to all those interested.


am curious as to how TLSers meet other TLSers... and know who's who. i wouldn't be surprised if we all went by our our usernames instead of our actual names at these things! :lol:


We just randomely ended up being some of the few people who wanted to take the drinking to bar after the party...

User avatar
ChriLa425
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ChriLa425 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:30 pm

jrose5 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:UCR since Feb 11th....waiting, waiting, waiting....


Same, submitted 1/08



post if you hear anything! i´m getting anxious here...

User avatar
may
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby may » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:35 pm

ChriLa425 wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
ChriLa425 wrote:UCR since Feb 11th....waiting, waiting, waiting....


Same, submitted 1/08



post if you hear anything! i´m getting anxious here...


I had the same dates, UR 2/11, and just updated to UR 2/23. It's probably too soon, but I'm crossing my fingers for Friday.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”