Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:Ok, so my Held email was sent directly to my trash (thanks Gmail!) and I accidentally permanently deleted it after I was done reading! Could someone please post or PM me the "Hold" email? Need to start strategizing...


Dear Yaweh,

Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision.

Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice. This additional letter of recommendation must be submitted through LSAC if you have not yet submitted the maximum of four letters to us through LSAC. You may submit the other materials, including a fifth letter of recommendation, by email to contactadmissions@law.upenn.edu (preferred method) or by fax to (215) 898-9606. If you are currently in undergraduate or graduate school, please submit to LSAC an updated transcript with your most recent grades as soon as it is available. Please do not send updated transcripts or informal grade reports directly to our office. Upon receipt of your updated transcript, LSAC will automatically send us an updated report.

Our goal is to have all decisions made by the end of April, although most applicants will hear much sooner. Please know that the time it has taken to review your file in no way indicates the final decision. Again, the review process at Penn involves multiple members of the Admissions Committee reviewing each of our 6,000 applications; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

Thank you for your patience during this time and best wishes in the coming months.

Sincerely,

Renee C. Post
Associate Dean

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby pixytree » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 am

By the sound of the hold letter, it's seems better to have been held than waitlisted. My WL letter says they may make decisions in May, or even during the summer.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

pixytree wrote:By the sound of the hold letter, it's seems better to have been held than waitlisted. My WL letter says they may make decisions in May, or even during the summer.


True, but the difference is this:

A held application could be accepted or waitlisted (or denied). Someone on the waitlist can only be called up IF a seat becomes free. On the other hand, a held applicant could get that seat orginally.

jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby jman77 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:46 pm

To those who got held and are planning to write an additional essay, did you take "an essay on a topic of your choice" to mean literally whatever we want to write about, or a topic from among the ones they suggested in the application form?

Thanks...

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby src42 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm

jman77 wrote:To those who got held and are planning to write an additional essay, did you take "an essay on a topic of your choice" to mean literally whatever we want to write about, or a topic from among the ones they suggested in the application form?

Thanks...

I have no idea. I might just do an LOCI.

Kent M
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Kent M » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm doing the LOCI as well. I'm not sure what exactly that portion refers to but the "such as" suggests we have some latitude.

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby swl56 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:33 pm

i've been at complete since 12/16... how long does it take to go from complete to UR?? :?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:35 pm

I'm still UR 1/11, but I submitted a LOCI over the weekend more clearly enumerating why UPenn actually is my first choice, and they said my file's been updated. So hopefully that will help.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Hey, I just went from regular review to committee review, but I think I the review date stayed the same (1/21).

What does it mean?


I know: double rainbow

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby arism87 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:24 pm

swl56 wrote:i've been at complete since 12/16... how long does it take to go from complete to UR?? :?


Oh God. I've been complete since 1/3. Thanks for crushing my hopes!

Oh well, I did my Penn app late, I have a feeling I'm destined for the WL :(

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Hey, I just went from regular review to committee review, but I think I the review date stayed the same (1/21).

What does it mean?


I know: double rainbow


It always says Under Committee Review.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I'm still UR 1/11, but I submitted a LOCI over the weekend more clearly enumerating why UPenn actually is my first choice, and they said my file's been updated. So hopefully that will help.


Good luck! Pulling for ya!

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Hey, I just went from regular review to committee review, but I think I the review date stayed the same (1/21).

What does it mean?


I know: double rainbow


It always says Under Committee Review.


That's what I was afraid of . . . RC fail by me :(

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Hey, I just went from regular review to committee review, but I think I the review date stayed the same (1/21).

What does it mean?


I know: double rainbow


It always says Under Committee Review.


That's what I was afraid of . . . RC fail by me :(

Retake

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:I'm still UR 1/11, but I submitted a LOCI over the weekend more clearly enumerating why UPenn actually is my first choice, and they said my file's been updated. So hopefully that will help.


Good luck! Pulling for ya!


Thanks! I'm still waiting for you to say Stanford admitted you :P

User avatar
awahoya
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby awahoya » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 am

Second UCR 1/24 :shock: First was 1/18ish, Edit: COMPLETE on 12/14 (not UR)
Last edited by awahoya on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Knock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 am

Sent in my 3rd LOR to go with an earlier transcript update :).

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 am

Knock wrote:Sent in my 3rd LOR to go with an earlier transcript update :).


Good luck! Only 4 days until Friday!!!

BHDLaw
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BHDLaw » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:09 am

awahoya wrote:Second UCR 1/24 :shock: First was 1/18ish, Edit: COMPLETE on 12/14 (not UR)


+1

For those who have had decisions - does it seem like 2 UCR dates are the norm before the decision? Good luck to everyone waiting, and congratulations to everyone accepted!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 am

BHDLaw wrote:
awahoya wrote:Second UCR 1/24 :shock: First was 1/18ish, Edit: COMPLETE on 12/14 (not UR)


+1

For those who have had decisions - does it seem like 2 UCR dates are the norm before the decision? Good luck to everyone waiting, and congratulations to everyone accepted!


Yes you will have at least two, most people have two, the 2nd one close to the decision.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am

r6_philly wrote:
BHDLaw wrote:
awahoya wrote:Second UCR 1/24 :shock: First was 1/18ish, Edit: COMPLETE on 12/14 (not UR)


+1

For those who have had decisions - does it seem like 2 UCR dates are the norm before the decision? Good luck to everyone waiting, and congratulations to everyone accepted!


Yes you will have at least two, most people have two, the 2nd one close to the decision.


Do they call about an acceptance and email rejections/WL? Also, do most of their decisions happen on Mondays/Fridays or do they seem to happen everyday?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:03 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Do they call about an acceptance and email rejections/WL? Also, do most of their decisions happen on Mondays/Fridays or do they seem to happen everyday?


You are right about the notification methods. I am not sure about the days, I don't know if they have a strict schedule or not.

User avatar
lawyersofcatan
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby lawyersofcatan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 pm

i hit my first UCR at 1/10 and have been there since. anyone else in a similar position?

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby hoping » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 pm

did anyone who sent in their fall grades (bec of a request) get a confirmation back for their e-mail?!

alawgirl
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby alawgirl » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 pm

hoping wrote:did anyone who sent in their fall grades (bec of a request) get a confirmation back for their e-mail?!


I got a request to send in my grades via email, but so far, I've only sent my grades to LSAC. I know Penn wants an email or faxed copy of the transcript, but I don't have access to that. SHould I email them an unofficial transcript that had been copied onto a Word document? Don't know how to go about this. :oops:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ChodeAnalBead, dsberkeley, fountainja, Google [Bot], joezze, Kaziende, rizzlebizness, woojin1287 and 9 guests