Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BackToTheOldHouse

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Hannibal wrote:WL nuked.

They're still sending out emails this late? or did you receive it earlier today?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I got a request for fall grades. What does that imply besides obviously wanting my fall grades? They told me to email them and attach a copy of the unofficial transcript. Then of course go through LSAC as well for verification purposes. I got held at Harvard earlier and I had no intention of updating (felt the difference was negligible)...but doesn't the LSAC report go to everyone?

All this time and still couldn't give me a straight answer. :(
Last edited by Non-Chalant1 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hjag

Postby hjag » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey all,

Considering that Penn is a top choice of mine... I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of applicants Penn prefers. Do they lean towards strong #s like Harvard, or strong softs like Berkeley? Or are they just kind of ambiguous?

Thanks!

And... sorry to hear about the WLs.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:00 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Hannibal wrote:WL nuked.

They're still sending out emails this late? or did you receive it earlier today?

I probably received it an hour or so before my post but I wasn't able to get to my comp.

src42

Postby src42 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:scr, did you send in your fall grades yet? I still need to do that.

I'm no longer in school, so no new grades to report. I could turn in my annual performance review from work. :)

ScarryBakhtin

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I got a request for fall grades. What does that imply besides obviously wanting my fall grades? They told me to email them and attach a copy of the unofficial transcript. Then of course go through LSAC as well for verification purposes. I got held at Harvard earlier and I had no intention of updating (felt the difference was negligible)...but doesn't the LSAC report go to everyone?(

Just to clarify, you didn't get the held e-mail which begins "Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review." You got a different e-mail?

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:40 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I got a request for fall grades. What does that imply besides obviously wanting my fall grades? They told me to email them and attach a copy of the unofficial transcript. Then of course go through LSAC as well for verification purposes. I got held at Harvard earlier and I had no intention of updating (felt the difference was negligible)...but doesn't the LSAC report go to everyone?(

Just to clarify, you didn't get the held e-mail which begins "Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review." You got a different e-mail?

Mine is completely different. It's basically like what I said. It's a straight up request for my fall grades, it's like NOT optional, but mandatory LOL.

kad1026

Postby kad1026 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:

Mine is completely different. It's basically like what I said. It's a straight up request for my fall grades, it's like NOT optional, but mandatory LOL.

I got an email like that last Friday. So is this hopefully better than being held? I just assumed they were the same but it doesn't sound like it.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:58 pm

First rejection of the cycle. :cry: I probably should have written a Why Penn...

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:37 pm

kad1026 wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:

I got an email like that last Friday. So is this hopefully better than being held? I just assumed they were the same but it doesn't sound like it.

Yea def. different emails. One requires grades to be sent in as soon as they are available. The other just says you are held for further review and say that you can send in additional grades/documents.

neonx

Postby neonx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 am

Dude, still stuck on UCR 1/20.

alawgirl

Postby alawgirl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:05 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:

Non-Chalant, I got the same exact email-- a request simply for fall grades to be sent ASAP to both Penn and LSAC. It didn't say anything else about sending additional materials or anything. It didn't use the word "held" at all.

However, what does it say above your status checker page? For me, it says:

"Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review. The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision. Thank you for your patience during this time and best wishes in the coming months."

So, on the status checker page, it says "held."
Don't know what to think of all this, but I'll be sending my grades in right away! You think an unofficial transcript will be ok?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 am

Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:AAAAAHHHH! I just got the voicemail!

I can't believe I missed it. Stupid 10-minute pre-meeting meeting. Well anyway .. AAHHHH! You think I can call them back just to thank them?

Applied around 10/26, UR 12/23--->1/14

CONGRATS HABIT!!! Call them back and shoot the shit for a while ;)

Thanks Knock (and everyone else)!! By the time I could call them back it was after 5 and I got the voicemail. A shame because the caller sounded really nice (I couldn't understand his name though). So excited to visit!

justhoping

Postby justhoping » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 am

UCR 1/18-1/20, heard nothing today, a call next friday please please please!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 am

alawgirl my status checker says UCR and was updated to 1/21 from 1/19. Doesn't say held anywhere. I think I'll email them an unofficial transcript tomorrow and then do the LSAC stuff...which annoys me.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:15 am

What's the difference between a hold and waitlist? Also, for those who have been waitlisted, does it specifically show in an email or ur status checkers? Is a hold pretty much a rejection?

ScarryBakhtin

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:58 am

dpk711 wrote:What's the difference between a hold and waitlist? Also, for those who have been waitlisted, does it specifically show in an email or ur status checkers? Is a hold pretty much a rejection?

The technical difference between a being held for further review and accepting an offer for a spot on the waitlist has been mentioned numerous times on this thread and last year's Penn thread: the former indicates the admissions committee's no longer being obligated to act on your file. They may chose to admit, w/l, or reject you depending on the sort of applications they review in the coming months and sorts of students who accept their offers of admissions. A waitlist e-mail, on the other hand, simply allows you to fill a spot on a list which is used to fill empty seats in the class.

However, I am wondering what the statistical difference is. In other words, what percentage of students who are held go on to be accepted, w/l, or rejected. If anyone can provide that information, specifically in relation to Penn, I would be eternally grateful.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:16 am

Ok, so my Held email was sent directly to my trash (thanks Gmail!) and I accidentally permanently deleted it after I was done reading! Could someone please post or PM me the "Hold" email? Need to start strategizing...

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:12 pm

so is it worse to be on the Penn "holdlist" or on the Penn waitlist"?

achilles

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:52 pm

dpk711 wrote:so is it worse to be on the Penn "holdlist" or on the Penn waitlist"?

I think it's worse to be on the waitlist.

Congrats to all the new admits!! Come join the fb group! And good luck to all the holds and WLs

123kl

Postby 123kl » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 pm

Just got the package from Penn. Contains a letter from Dean Post and a booklet. Says more info will come later.

modmx

Postby modmx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 pm

another week to wait

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

123kl wrote:Just got the package from Penn. Contains a letter from Dean Post and a booklet. Says more info will come later.

I like how all the faculty went to Harvard. Sign? lol

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:57 pm

ImpatientlyWaiting wrote:Seems like there have been a lot of posts by people who went UCR on 1/3, are above Penn's medians, and have not heard back yet. I'm in the same boat.

I wonder what they're doing with us?

Did anybody in this boat hear yesterday? It may be time to start a "Forgotten" thread, Penn edition. Le sigh.

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:06 pm

Committee Review on 1/10 and I submitted early november... Above both medians, And I wrote a why Penn/love letter. I'm feeling very forgotten :/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”