Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shoop
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby shoop » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

shoop wrote:Just got the call! I'm in! 3.9/170, submitted 12/25, UR 1/13. No "Why Penn?" I'm starting to suspect that my LORs are bleepin' golden.

The call came from a 215 area code and the caller was super nice and peppy and it was a GREAT way to end my week!


An email came about 2 hours later with login info for the Admitted Students website.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:14 pm

So instead of getting a call or e-mail I got a status update, "UCR 1/21/11." I suppose it's my 3rd UCR. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Should I assume I won't hear anything until next Friday?

findafish
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby findafish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:38 pm

just checked my online status, waitlisted..
bummer

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby src42 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 pm

just got an email from penn: held for further review, with a request for another LOR and an additional 2 page essay on the topic of my choice.

what should my topic be? i already did a DS and a why penn.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:So instead of getting a call or e-mail I got a status update, "UCR 1/21/11." I suppose it's my 3rd UCR. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Should I assume I won't hear anything until next Friday?


+1. Went from 1/18 to 1/21.

User avatar
Swanky
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Swanky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I guess this week's not my week for a decision. Congratulations to all who have been admitted!

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:49 pm

WL'd via email

Does anyone know how Penn is about the WL? Is this a soft rejection?

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Gotti wrote:WL'd via email

Does anyone know how Penn is about the WL? Is this a soft rejection?


what time?

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:51 pm

src42 wrote:just got an email from penn: held for further review, with a request for another LOR and an additional 2 page essay on the topic of my choice.

what should my topic be? i already did a DS and a why penn.


Same.

I am guessing held is synonymous for being waitlisted. Anyone have any idea how many people they pulled from the waitlist/hold pile last year? Is it on the lines of UVA, where it pretty much should be taken as a soft rejection?

jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby jman77 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
src42 wrote:just got an email from penn: held for further review, with a request for another LOR and an additional 2 page essay on the topic of my choice.

what should my topic be? i already did a DS and a why penn.


Same.

I am guessing held is synonymous for being waitlisted. Anyone have any idea how many people they pulled from the waitlist/hold pile last year? Is it on the lines of UVA, where it pretty much should be taken as a soft rejection?

Another hold here. Bummer. Those who are reporting a WL, did your emails actually say you were wAitlisted or held?
Last edited by jman77 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:So instead of getting a call or e-mail I got a status update, "UCR 1/21/11." I suppose it's my 3rd UCR. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Should I assume I won't hear anything until next Friday?


+1. Went from 1/18 to 1/21.


Is it your 3rd UCR, too? I went from UCR 1/12 to UCR 1/18 to UCR 1/21. Wanna PM me your #'s?

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

NVM that. Held.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:So instead of getting a call or e-mail I got a status update, "UCR 1/21/11." I suppose it's my 3rd UCR. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Should I assume I won't hear anything until next Friday?


+1. Went from 1/18 to 1/21.


Is it your 3rd UCR, too? I went from UCR 1/12 to UCR 1/18 to UCR 1/21. Wanna PM me your #'s?


I'm not sure if there was an initial review date before 1/18, but I think there was (so many status checkers and poor memory aren't really helping much).

As for numbers, I'm above 75% GPA and below 25% LSAT.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:NVM that. Held.


Just now?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:59 pm

jman77 wrote:Another hold here. Bummer. Those who are reporting a WL, did your emails actually say you were wAitlisted or held?


Actually waitlisted, iirc.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:03 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:NVM that. Held.


Just now?


E-mail came through pretty recently. Status still reads "UCR"

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby pixytree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Got the waitlist email :-( guess my instinct about my call with them earlier was right.

what's the diff between waitlist and hold?

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby src42 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 pm

ScarryBakhtin wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:NVM that. Held.


Just now?


E-mail came through pretty recently. Status still reads "UCR"

Same.

findafish
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby findafish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:10 pm

co-ask, the difference? mine was waitlist

pixytree wrote:Got the waitlist email :-( guess my instinct about my call with them earlier was right.

what's the diff between waitlist and hold?

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:13 pm

src42 wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
ScarryBakhtin wrote:NVM that. Held.


Just now?


E-mail came through pretty recently. Status still reads "UCR"

Same.


:shock:

This does not bode well.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13550
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:14 pm

findafish wrote:co-ask, the difference? mine was waitlist

pixytree wrote:Got the waitlist email :-( guess my instinct about my call with them earlier was right.

what's the diff between waitlist and hold?

I'm assuming held means they will continue to look at your file so you still have a shot at being admitted. Waitlist means you'll only get looked at again if they have spots available after admits have made decisions to attend or not. I don't really have any idea, but that's how i'm reading it.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Gotti » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:17 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Gotti wrote:WL'd via email

Does anyone know how Penn is about the WL? Is this a soft rejection?


what time?


2:39 PST

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby src42 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Flips88 wrote:
findafish wrote:co-ask, the difference? mine was waitlist

pixytree wrote:Got the waitlist email :-( guess my instinct about my call with them earlier was right.

what's the diff between waitlist and hold?

I'm assuming held means they will continue to look at your file so you still have a shot at being admitted. Waitlist means you'll only get looked at again if they have spots available after admits have made decisions to attend or not. I don't really have any idea, but that's how i'm reading it.

That's my interpretation as well. The email said that at least 2 people have looked at my application and they are "impressed" with my credentials, but they want to keep reviewing. I feel like it's the same thing Stanford and Chicago are doing to me (though I will eventually be WL'd) but they aren't sending me email updates about it.

User avatar
ScarryBakhtin
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby ScarryBakhtin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm

scr, did you send in your fall grades yet? I still need to do that.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:15 pm

WL nuked.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, hip to be Square, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests