Penn 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrmangs

Silver

Re: Penn 2011

Post by mrmangs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Knock wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote::( Still at my first UR, 11/23. Oh well.
Same, except 12/09
Damn Knock, thought you'd be in by now! GL!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:29 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Am I the only person who feels that being jerked around by each of these schools for 3 to 6 months makes me not want to attend their school. This is less of an issue with Penn who creeps up right around the 3 month mark as some others. Like NYU... I applied in the beginning of October... probably won't get an answer until June... and that is assuming that I am not placed on the waitlist... then it would not be until September until they are a week into their classes. To think, we actually have to pay to be treated in such a way. I am sorry, but if you can't look at files, group them into stacks for different contingencies, and then issue out decisions in a fairly speedy manner then I can only imagine what it must be like if you have a problem with your financial aid while attending... maybe you'll hear in six months. The whole process has completely gotten under my nerves now. It is just ridiculous.

- Pissed off applicant X
I DEFINITELY get your frustration, but at the same time I do feel better when I feel that schools are actually reading our applications and not just throwing them into a pile based on numbers alone. And considering that each school has thousands of applicants it takes time to actually read through them. But I totally get what you're saying about it getting on your nerves sometimes.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:31 pm

They can wait till June if I get admitted. Every wave of rejections I survive just makes me less anxious. I recognize I'll still likely not make it in, but I want to believe that each one brings me closer.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:Am I the only person who feels that being jerked around by each of these schools for 3 to 6 months makes me not want to attend their school. This is less of an issue with Penn who creeps up right around the 3 month mark as some others. Like NYU... I applied in the beginning of October... probably won't get an answer until June... and that is assuming that I am not placed on the waitlist... then it would not be until September until they are a week into their classes. To think, we actually have to pay to be treated in such a way. I am sorry, but if you can't look at files, group them into stacks for different contingencies, and then issue out decisions in a fairly speedy manner then I can only imagine what it must be like if you have a problem with your financial aid while attending... maybe you'll hear in six months. The whole process has completely gotten under my nerves now. It is just ridiculous.

- Pissed off applicant X
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=103945

ajcollege

New

Post by ajcollege » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:50 pm

- Pissed off applicant X
Admissions is more art than science. Even if you could "group them into stacks", what would that accomplish? You still have to figure out how to build a cohesive class from those stacks. Is one PI worth three tax lawyers? Are splitters more valuable than reverse splitters? Even schools built around specialized programs still look beyond each applicant to the entire class they are working to create.

Also, among others, the reason "you pay" for this treatment is because if you didn't, you'd be one of 25,000-30,000 applicants throwing your hat into every school ranked 1-20+, regardless of your actual merits. At $70 a pop, the schools can have some sense of order and process as they read through applications.

If you have such problems with lag time, I suggest a career not built around waiting for people in positions of power and authority to make decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:14 pm

- Pissed off applicant X
NYU waitlists everyone in April, get ready it will be fun.

Swanky

New

Post by Swanky » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:23 pm

- Pissed off applicant X
Yes, it is quite frustrating for us, but then I step back and think about my boyfriend, who is a high school English teacher. It is SO time consuming for him just to grade essays and research papers. Now imagine that process replicated for thousands of people, many of whom look virtually indistinguishable on paper. Yikes.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 pm

- Pissed off applicant X
You write the most ridiculous rants. Your posts are never pleasant to read. You clearly feel very entitled simply because you, presumably, got a high LSAT and/or GPA. Wherever you go to school, please contact me so I can make sure I do not attend. TYIA

- Birdlaw117

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Chill everyone. :) More Penn decisions should be out tomorrow or Monday... it's been a few days, so something's gotta be coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ghost

Silver

Post by Ghost » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Last edited by Ghost on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Kili wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

- Pissed off applicant X
You write the most ridiculous rants. Your posts are never pleasant to read. You clearly feel very entitled simply because you, presumably, got a high LSAT and/or GPA. Wherever you go to school, please contact me so I can make sure I do not attend. TYIA

- Birdlaw117
After checking history of posts, not only do I have to agree, but I have to also LOL. (Emphasis on the first thread). :lol:
First thread was epic. Rarely does such a trainwreck happen so fast, even on TLS.

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Kili wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

- Pissed off applicant X

- Birdlaw117
After checking history of posts, not only do I have to agree, but I have to also LOL. (Emphasis on the first thread). :lol:
First thread was epic. Rarely does such a trainwreck happen so fast, even on TLS.
LOL...oh yes, THAT thread :D .... tremendous softs!!!

SirWilliam1022

Bronze

Post by SirWilliam1022 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 pm

;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 pm

SirWilliam1022 wrote:;)
Agree with the above posters, but kudos for your sense-of-humor response.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
+1

absolutazn87

Silver

Post by absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:10 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:
+1
+2

mapes

New

Post by mapes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 am

In last Friday. Applied just before Thanksgiving. Really excited to visit!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Top14dreams

New

Post by Top14dreams » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 am

Hi all, I was just wondering does everyone see a seat deposit line under "fees" on the status checker?

Shloime

Bronze

Post by Shloime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:15 am

Wishful thinking :wink:

Seems standard.

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

So maybe more acceptance calls today, like last Friday?

kdubb513

New

Post by kdubb513 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 pm

123kl wrote:So maybe more acceptance calls today, like last Friday?

I hope so. Especially for those whose 2nd UR date was 1/11

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eskimogirl

New

Post by eskimogirl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm

i just got an acceptance call from a really nice man at penn admissions! so it looks like some more decisions are coming out today.

submitted 11/6, first UR date 1/5, second UR date 1/11

good luck, everyone!

kdubb513

New

Post by kdubb513 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:30 pm

eskimogirl wrote:i just got an acceptance call from a really nice man at penn admissions! so it looks like some more decisions are coming out today.

good luck, everyone!

Congrats!!!!!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm

kdubb513 wrote:
eskimogirl wrote:i just got an acceptance call from a really nice man at penn admissions! so it looks like some more decisions are coming out today.

good luck, everyone!

Congrats!!!!!
+1. Great job! Now go post in the "decisions only" thread!

123kl

Bronze

Post by 123kl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:32 pm

kdubb513 wrote:
123kl wrote:So maybe more acceptance calls today, like last Friday?

I hope so. Especially for those whose 2nd UR date was 1/11
and the 1/5ers.....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”