Penn 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby NikaneOkie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 pm

QuailMan wrote:
Swanky wrote:UCR for the first time today, finally!

Complete 12/3 --> UCR 1/10

Congrats to all who have been accepted!



Same here! Complete 12/2 --> UCR 1/10.


+1

How long does it usually take between UCR 1 and an answer?
Last edited by NikaneOkie on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby 123kl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:41 pm

softsgalore wrote:Guys...I have the worst question in the world.

So I'm on the WL and I realized, when looking at the Chicago thread because of my WL there (it's been a waity kind of week), that Penn Law requires a "Why Penn?"

I, uh...I didn't do one. I was doing my applications from internet access costing forty cents a minute over 10,000 miles from home, so I completely spaced that it was a requirement. Would sending one be a good idea, or would it draw attention to the fact that I completely ignored their Why Penn requirement in the same way I ignored the PS length limit?


It's not a requirement, but it's a good idea. It was one of the three essays of which you were required to write one (it's actually called the "5 Year Plan" essay in that you state how Penn will help you accomplish your plan). You should definitely submit one.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby NZA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 pm

softsgalore wrote:Guys...I have the worst question in the world.

So I'm on the WL and I realized, when looking at the Chicago thread because of my WL there (it's been a waity kind of week), that Penn Law requires a "Why Penn?"

I, uh...I didn't do one. I was doing my applications from internet access costing forty cents a minute over 10,000 miles from home, so I completely spaced that it was a requirement. Would sending one be a good idea, or would it draw attention to the fact that I completely ignored their Why Penn requirement in the same way I ignored the PS length limit?


:? LOCI at this point would probably be best. It essentially fulfills the function of a Why Penn? and would be more appropriate.

Sorry to hear that, though, man...I almost did the same thing, but my internet is free and I'm just an idiot.

And I believe they do ask specifically for a supplemental essay, but there are three topics, as other people have stated.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
QuailMan wrote:
Swanky wrote:UCR for the first time today, finally!

Complete 12/3 --> UCR 1/10

Congrats to all who have been accepted!



Same here! Complete 12/2 --> UCR 1/10.


+1

How long does it usually take between UCR 1 and an answer?
Would LOVE some good news. Straight up rejected from Chicago today. Makes me feel like there's something wrong with my app.


In at Michigan, NYU, Cornell, UVA, and Georgetown and you think something is wrong with your app? Come off it.

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

It's usually a little over a month I think.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Knock » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 pm

softsgalore wrote:Guys...I have the worst question in the world.

So I'm on the WL and I realized, when looking at the Chicago thread because of my WL there (it's been a waity kind of week), that Penn Law requires a "Why Penn?"

I, uh...I didn't do one. I was doing my applications from internet access costing forty cents a minute over 10,000 miles from home, so I completely spaced that it was a requirement. Would sending one be a good idea, or would it draw attention to the fact that I completely ignored their Why Penn requirement in the same way I ignored the PS length limit?


You submitted a DS I believe, so you fulfilled the application requirement. I submitted a DS and didn't write a Penn 5 year plan.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:56 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:How long does it usually take between UCR 1 and an answer?


mine was UCR1=12/22, UCR2=1/3, admitted 1/7
still very excited.

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby 123kl » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:How long does it usually take between UCR 1 and an answer?


mine was UCR1=12/22, UCR2=1/3, admitted 1/7
still very excited.


I was 12/22, 1/5. . . still no word :cry:

Dwigt
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Dwigt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

As others are stating, the 5 year plan essay is a good idea, but it's not necessarily a requirement. There are three choices for the supplemental essay, of which you have to write one (the application allows for more than one to be written, but I wouldn't write all three - remember that those on admissions committees are human and don't want to read all day!).

The first choice is essentially a diversity statement. This is the only one that I wrote. I feel that as a URM it's almost a requirement for me to write a diversity statement.

The second choice is about the work of art or literature that influenced your decision to go to law school. To be honest, I'm not sure how this would help.

The third choice is the 5 year plan essay. This allows the admissions committee to understand your decision to study law (specifically at UPenn - hence many peoples' understanding of this as a "Why UPenn" essay). Conventional TLS wisdom suggests that this essay is pretty much a requirement; my personal experience of getting in without writing it suggests that this is incorrect (I didn't write one because I felt that my reasons for my decision to study law and my future career plans were addressed in the PS that I wrote and that I didn't have anything compelling to add on the topic).

If you're waitlisted, I would absolutely write a LOCI and allow it to function as a type of "Why UPenn" statement. I'm sure you wrote at least one of the other supplemental essays; if not, do so!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:06 pm

01/05 is seemingly a bad day :(((

User avatar
Shooter
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Shooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:01/05 is seemingly a bad day :(((


Don't worry. I think all the talk about 1/3 = Good and 1/5 = Bad was just speculation. I'm sure everything will be fine!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Shooter wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:01/05 is seemingly a bad day :(((


Don't worry. I think all the talk about 1/3 = Good and 1/5 = Bad was just speculation. I'm sure everything will be fine!


LOL, ever the optimist are you. :) I hope you're right. I guess we'll find out on Friday or something.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby RTFM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Is anyone else still stuck at File Complete late November? Am I ever going to see any movement here?

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:31 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess we'll find out on Friday or something.

Why are we thinking Friday? I'm dying to hear, so I hope you're right!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess we'll find out on Friday or something.

Why are we thinking Friday? I'm dying to hear, so I hope you're right!


No reason at all except that last Friday was the first onslaught of WLs, dings and acceptances (wasn't it?)

Aside from that, just wishful thinking.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby justadude55 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 pm

if i ever start a LS, we will call the people we deny and send chain e-mails to those we accept. that should separate us from the pack in a comic awkward way.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess we'll find out on Friday or something.

Why are we thinking Friday? I'm dying to hear, so I hope you're right!


No reason at all except that last Friday was the first onslaught of WLs, dings and acceptances (wasn't it?)

Aside from that, just wishful thinking.


pretty sure there was a big wave back at the end of december as well (when i got WL)

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby JennBNYC » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JennBNYC wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I guess we'll find out on Friday or something.

Why are we thinking Friday? I'm dying to hear, so I hope you're right!


No reason at all except that last Friday was the first onslaught of WLs, dings and acceptances (wasn't it?)

Aside from that, just wishful thinking.


Oh, okay. That logic sounds good enough to me! lol

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:24 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:01/05 is seemingly a bad day :(((


I was 1/5 and I got the call on 1/7, so it's definitely not a death sentence. I'm rooting for the rest of you!!!

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby neonx » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:53 am

I've finally filtered into committee review (01/10). Wohoo.

quetzal_bird
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby quetzal_bird » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:58 am

neonx wrote:I've finally filtered into committee review (01/10). Wohoo.


+1

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Penn 2011

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:21 am

quetzal_bird wrote:
neonx wrote:I've finally filtered into committee review (01/10). Wohoo.


+1

User avatar
Evrydyhonestliar
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
quetzal_bird wrote:
neonx wrote:I've finally filtered into committee review (01/10). Wohoo.


+1


+1 Ahhhhhhh!!

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby 123kl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:26 am

law_monkey wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:01/05 is seemingly a bad day :(((


I was 1/5 and I got the call on 1/7, so it's definitely not a death sentence. I'm rooting for the rest of you!!!


Penn's my alma mater. . . I'd just be sad if they WL'ed/rejected me.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Penn 2011

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 am

Waitlist is imminent for me. Been (2nd) UCR since 12/21 and not a peep




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, blahblah123, fazzvm56, Lmorina126, mccracal, mmorrell94, Nash91, nynina, potterotter, rpalmer13, StopLawying, thg1870 and 30 guests