Penn 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Penn 2011

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Grocery heaven is reserved for Walmart Supercenters in states like WV and SW VA only. Sorry.

Walmart has absolutely nothing on a super Wegmans.
You have not been to a real Walmart then. (and I have not been to a real Wegmans, but I used to save $200 on groceries per trip down to WV, VA and NC compared to buying back home, so the trip usually pays for the trip).

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm

arism87 wrote: Hahaha nah. Choosing a law school based on Walmart is just silly. Unlike choosing a school based on the availability of beer.

I have my priorities straight, r6!
If you heed my advice, free beer will be plenty.

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Grocery heaven is reserved for Walmart Supercenters in states like WV and SW VA only. Sorry.

The comparison is an insult. :evil:

It isn't just the savings. It's the experience. Weggies is like Whole Foods made love to a Wal Mart, but the only part of Wal Mart that showed up in the love child were the prices.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

You have not been to a real Walmart then. (and I have not been to a real Wegmans, but I used to save $200 on groceries per trip down to WV, VA and NC compared to buying back home, so the trip usually pays for the trip).
+1. Every time I go back home to visit, I stock up so much I get made fun of. "Sure you don't need another cart?" "Waiting for a snowstorm in April?" F off, this yogurt is a quarter!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

lol I have been to both. The greatest thing about Wegmans is that Wegmans brand - super cheap - is really good and often better than name brand stuff. Walmart's brands - great value, for instance - are clearly discount brands.

But this is a Penn thread, so I will stop the Wegmans love. It has just been 8 months and I am very deprived having to shop at crap places like Frys, Albertsons and Bashas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Also, not to be mega lazy when I'm sure I could find this a few pages back, but since we're all here anyway: what are the stages of status checker for Penn? I had a last minute change of heart and applied late.

Eta: I have no problem with the great value brand. But I have almost no standards. -- FOR FOOD, people. Not men.

Okay, those too.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:49 pm

jd2014! wrote: The comparison is an insult. :evil:

It isn't just the savings. It's the experience. Weggies is like Whole Foods made love to a Wal Mart, but the only part of Wal Mart that showed up in the love child were the prices.
I am Chinese, so you are not going to tell me anything American food-related activity is an "experience" ;) that's why I just refer them them as "grocery" stores :lol:

But seriously, it's probably really nice.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:50 pm

arism87 wrote:Also, not to be mega lazy when I'm sure I could find this a few pages back, but since we're all here anyway: what are the stages of status checker for Penn? I had a last minute change of heart and applied late.

Eta: I have no problem with the great value brand. But I have almost no standards. -- FOR FOOD, people. Not men.

Okay, those too.
Under Committee Review is the final stage before you hear a decision, I believe.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Knock wrote:
arism87 wrote:Also, not to be mega lazy when I'm sure I could find this a few pages back, but since we're all here anyway: what are the stages of status checker for Penn? I had a last minute change of heart and applied late.

Okay, those too.
Under Committee Review is the final stage before you hear a decision, I believe.
yes, and usually reviewed twice (date updates to a second UCR date).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dex

New

Post by Dex » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote: Hahaha nah. Choosing a law school based on Walmart is just silly. Unlike choosing a school based on the availability of beer.

I have my priorities straight, r6!
If you heed my advice, free beer will be plenty.
8)

Go on....

*sits back*

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Okay, those too.
Cool what's before that? I'm still at received and processing, does it go complete before UCR?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:58 pm

arism87 wrote:
Cool what's before that? I'm still at received and processing, does it go complete before UCR?
It does go complete. Mine sat at complete for 2 months almost but that was earlier in the season. It was faster last year when I submitted late, almost the same day.

jd2014!

Bronze

Post by jd2014! » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:58 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Okay, those too.

Yes. Processing -----> Complete -----> UCR 1 -----> UCR 2 -----> Offer of admission

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:02 pm

jd2014! wrote:
arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:

Yes. Processing -----> Complete -----> UCR 1 -----> UCR 2 -----> Offer of admission
Thanks all! (I HOPE it ends with offer of admission, appreciate the optimism! lol)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Dex wrote:
8)

Go on....

*sits back*
Make friends outside of law school, go to their events.

daisyduke

Bronze

Post by daisyduke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 pm

Since I missed the Wegman's discussion, I am just throwing in my two cents (sorry to bring it back to this). I beg to differ about Wegman's not being a big deal in PA. It is definitely a HUGE deal! r6, I am so sorry you have been missing the Wegman's love cause it is the best place ever. Not quite as much love as in upstate NY (obviously) but still... big deal. Awww Wegmans

Good Luck everyone for tomorrow morning!

DaveBear07

Bronze

Post by DaveBear07 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Have there been any WL/R e-mails sent out yet? All quiet here. For now....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Yeah nothing happening today for me... I am a first day applicant so Idk if that is bad... I wonder what the order of calls is determined by...

leopardRAWR

Bronze

Post by leopardRAWR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:03 pm

My GPA improved this semester .04- still a touch under Penn's median, but closer than it is now. Is it worth asking if they can wait for my updated transcripts to make a decision? I've had one UCR date (12/14) and I'm at their LSAT median. Is it possible to update your transcripts after going UCR?

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

loptimist

New

Post by loptimist » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:10 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:Have there been any WL/R e-mails sent out yet? All quiet here. For now....
i was ED, and finally today, i got the hold email.

is hold email the same as deferral? or waitlist?

what are my chances?

i seriously think the interview i had with the dean was so bad that she decided to rather than just reject me, hold onto my file until the last day and give me the deferral.... and crush that last hope I have for a miracle on april.... :(

on a separate note,
is anyone willing to share his/her 5 year plan or at least an idea regarding it?
i've already written a DS and Why Penn essay (about interdisciplinary approach)..
I am not sure how to start the 5 year plan essay without being so repetitive...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 pm

loptimist wrote: i was ED, and finally today, i got the hold email.

what are my chances?

i seriously think the interview i had with the dean was so bad that she decided to rather than just reject me, hold onto my file until the last day and give me the deferral.... and crush that last hope I have for a miracle on april.... :(

on a separate note,
is anyone willing to share his/her 5 year plan or at least an idea regarding it?
i've already written a DS and Why Penn essay (about interdisciplinary approach)..
ah i'm so sorry loptimist! i know i would have screwed up a phone interview too. hopefully you'll hear back before april. i'll PM you my five year/why penn essay

loptimist

New

Post by loptimist » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:37 pm

achilles wrote: ah i'm so sorry loptimist! i know i would have screwed up a phone interview too. hopefully you'll hear back before april. i'll PM you my five year/why penn essay

it was my first time doing a phone interview ever.. whoa. damn.
that 5 year plan was very good. thank you..

wish i had a friend like yours.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:24 pm

loptimist wrote:
DaveBear07 wrote:Have there been any WL/R e-mails sent out yet? All quiet here. For now....
i was ED, and finally today, i got the hold email.

what are my chances?

on a separate note,
I think there was someone last cycle who was deferred/held and was admitted in February (okay, so I stalked the Penn 2010 thread). Don't lose hope! Send your additional essays on over - we're all rooting for you :)

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:36 pm

loptimist wrote:
achilles wrote: ah i'm so sorry loptimist! i know i would have screwed up a phone interview too. hopefully you'll hear back before april. i'll PM you my five year/why penn essay

it was my first time doing a phone interview ever.. whoa. damn.
that 5 year plan was very good. thank you..

wish i had a friend like yours.
how did you end up with a phone interview?

Penn is officially the only school I have not gone UCR at
:(
Maybe they know I love them a lot and will wait... not fair.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”