BU 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mettasutta

Bronze

Re: BU 2011 Applicants

Post by mettasutta » Mon May 09, 2011 9:22 am

brownstudy wrote:Forgot to update. I received email notification of admission in late afternoon last Fri. Admission letter, scholarship letter attached, along with an international student form. Got 20K annually.

165 Oct, 169 Feb, rejected in Jan, asked for reconsideration after Feb LSAT score come out. foreign educated, no gpa. Received a call in later March and waitlisted right after the call.

Mailed in printed LOCI in early April, mentioned other admissions (omitted scholarship), said BU is my first choice, and capitalled FIRST. Checked out the website and rephrased some compliments into my letter.
Wow, I didn't know people successfully asked to be reconsidered after being rejected in the same cycle. :shock: Congrats!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Mon May 09, 2011 10:31 am

patallica22 wrote:yeah I'm only kidding :)

Are you definitely planning on attending?
my bad, I just saw this.. it all depends really on whether or not I can negotiate more money.. if not I'll be at BC because I got nearly twice the scholarship amount there

philswfc2008

Bronze

Post by philswfc2008 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Withdrawing from the WL....best of luck to all future BU students, especially those still on the WL!

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 pm

In off the WL via phone call, 171/4.0
$75k scholarship.
Really, really did not expect this. I had put BU completely out of my mind.
Admissions said I have until June 1 to decide (deposit deadline).

aaaaaah

Bronze

Post by aaaaaah » Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:In off the WL via phone call, 171/4.0
$75k scholarship.
Haha, I think you were the only one who didn't expect it. I'm surprised you weren't the first one they took off the WL.
I would think you could squeeze a little more $ out of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm

I thought I was negotiating with BU, but I haven't heard back from them in a while. They requested my Scholarship Letters from Other Schools on May 4th and that's when I sent them (and they confirmed receipt), but I still haven't heard back from them. All of my other deadlines are passing (and I've already deposited at BU). My deadline passed (twice) for Fordham, but they said I can still enroll if I deposit by the 23rd... should I email BU and ask what's going on, and see if they still have my documents? Or are they just doing it intentionally so I don't have the option to enroll elsewhere? I suppose I could just double deposit at Fordham, but I realllllly don't want to end up wasting that $400....
Last edited by aliarrow on Fri May 20, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 pm

IIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBU
IstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBU
IstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUIstillwantBUstillwantBUIstillwantBU

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Fri May 20, 2011 6:33 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:In off the WL via phone call, 171/4.0
$75k scholarship.
Same deal, pulled from WL. PM if you want numbers.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Thu May 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Just withdrew, good luck guys! Hope one of you gets my spot

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:49 pm

In off the waitlist...this will be an extremely tough decision. I really really hope they can scrape together a little bit of money for me.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:10 pm

loblaw wrote:In off the waitlist...this will be an extremely tough decision. I really really hope they can scrape together a little bit of money for me.
What are your numbers if you don't mind me asking? (feel free to PM me)

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:46 am

I'm still on the waitlist, and have little chance of getting off it. What do you guys recommend writing about in the LOCI, and how regularly does BU want them?

Stats of those recently admitted from the waitlist would be great.

Horsefeathers

New

Post by Horsefeathers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am

Just got in off the waitlist on Thursday. I'm 173/3.2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 am

Congrats! Will you be attending, or are you still making a decision?

Horsefeathers

New

Post by Horsefeathers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks! Still deciding - but not for long. Deadline's today...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:30 am

I'm still happy to take Q's about BU (I'm a rising 2L soon to go through OCI) if you guys are interested.

law.school.2014

New

Post by law.school.2014 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Hey guys,

Just withdrew from BU. Tough decision, but I hope this opens up a spot for someone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:03 pm

kaiser wrote:I'm still happy to take Q's about BU (I'm a rising 2L soon to go through OCI) if you guys are interested.
Well, I have a question. I've heard (read?) that 1L at BU isn't as crazy as it is at other schools, we have fewer classes or something to that effect. Is this true? And if so, would it still be inadvisable to work 20 hr/wk during the year?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm

cinephile wrote:
kaiser wrote:I'm still happy to take Q's about BU (I'm a rising 2L soon to go through OCI) if you guys are interested.
Well, I have a question. I've heard (read?) that 1L at BU isn't as crazy as it is at other schools, we have fewer classes or something to that effect. Is this true? And if so, would it still be inadvisable to work 20 hr/wk during the year?
1. Yes, BU really tries to ease the 1L's into the grind of law school. They host a ton of social events at the beginning to make sure everyone bonds and gets close in a setting other than the classroom. This includes bar nights, the infamous harbor cruise, etc. And you do indeed have one less class first semester so that you have a bit more time to get comfortable with how law school works without getting overwhelmed. First semester is only 3 core courses in addition to your writing class. It certainly isn't easy, but it gives you some leeway to tinker around with your study schedule and get comfortable with the whole law school thing.

2. It would be highly inadvisable to work 20/hr week during the year. I believe there are ABA guidelines that restrict the number of hours 1L's can work, and I'm sure it is somewhere around 20. 1L takes a HUGE time commitment, and if you are anything like me, you need to keep your mind in the game at all times to really stay focused. I'm sure there are a few select people who could work that much and still do well, but I would imagine it would make it quite difficult. Given how all-important 1L year is, I'd highly recommend not doing it.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:48 pm

kaiser wrote:
cinephile wrote:
1. Yes, BU really tries to ease the 1L's into the grind of law school. They host a ton of social events at the beginning to make sure everyone bonds and gets close in a setting other than the classroom. This includes bar nights, the infamous harbor cruise, etc. And you do indeed have one less class first semester so that you have a bit more time to get comfortable with how law school works without getting overwhelmed. First semester is only 3 core courses in addition to your writing class. It certainly isn't easy, but it gives you some leeway to tinker around with your study schedule and get comfortable with the whole law school thing.

2. It would be highly inadvisable to work 20/hr week during the year. I believe there are ABA guidelines that restrict the number of hours 1L's can work, and I'm sure it is somewhere around 20. 1L takes a HUGE time commitment, and if you are anything like me, you need to keep your mind in the game at all times to really stay focused. I'm sure there are a few select people who could work that much and still do well, but I would imagine it would make it quite difficult. Given how all-important 1L year is, I'd highly recommend not doing it.
Thank you for the information. Maybe I'll aim for 10 hr/wk.

loblaw

Bronze

Post by loblaw » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 pm

To any BU 1LS and 2LS lurking around this thread--I'm coming to Boston this weekend, and I have to make a choice between BU and BC on Monday. I didn't get a great feel for BU because I didn't attend ASW, etc. Could anyone be bribed with a beer at Sunset Grille (or equivalent) on Saturday evening or Sunday to meet up with me and talk BU? I would really appreciate it!! PM me if you think you could make it. Thanks :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:49 am

Still no real waitlist news. I'm about to give up hope. What should I mention in my LOCI? I always mention I'm really interested in attending, but I'm not sure if that's enough. :(

smiley

Bronze

Post by smiley » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey guys, I'm off to NYC and looking for someone to take over my room in a 2 bedroom apartment. It's in Brighton, right on the B line at the Washington St stop. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the tower on the T. It's also three stops the other direction to BC. The apartment is about 900 sf, and the room is a really nice size with three big windows and good light. It's only $750 per month, which you'll figure out soon is really great. Also fantastic is that you don't have to find a roommate, one comes supplied. He's a 22 year old recent grad from Kansas, starting work at Harvard in August. You'll both be moving in around the same time, so you can set up the place together. Move in date is negotiable from mid August to September 1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”