BU 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: BU 2011 Applicants

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:08 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:Has anyone else gotten phone calls yesterday/today? I went complete 9/22, above both medians and haven't heard anything.

Nope. I found their whole process quite baffling. They had that small trickle of acceptances at the beginning of last week and then nothing.

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:13 pm

law_monkey wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:Has anyone else gotten phone calls yesterday/today? I went complete 9/22, above both medians and haven't heard anything.

Nope. I found their whole process quite baffling. They had that small trickle of acceptances at the beginning of last week and then nothing.

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

agh baffling is right. I kindof want to call and ask, since I've been complete for so long, but that's probably annoying?

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:18 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

agh baffling is right. I kindof want to call and ask, since I've been complete for so long, but that's probably annoying?

Your numbers are a lot higher than those who got in. Maybe they are yield protecting and if so your calling can only help because it can assure them that you want to go. That's my take.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 pm

username99 wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

Your numbers are a lot higher than those who got in. Maybe they are yield protecting and if so your calling can only help because it can assure them that you want to go. That's my take.

Ah thanks, this makes me feel better, I think I will call. What do you say to them? just like, "I have been complete for an extended period of time and I am just checking to make sure my file is alright"?

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:27 pm

You're right - that could be annoying. Maybe don't call. Or if you do just say you really want to go to school there and you wonder how you can bolster your app, which they've had for some time now. Do NOT make any disparaging remarks about David Ortiz.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

I actually had a kind of weird experience with them. I sent in my app at the beginning of October, and I got the initial confirmation email but never the completion one. So a couple weeks ago I filled out their status update request online, and a couple days later I got the complete email which was just the generic one and not a reply. So I don't know if they sent that to me because I filled out the request or if they just got around to checking my file and determining its completion. I wouldn't care that much except that it would be a month's difference in completion, so now I have no estimation at all of when I might hear from them. :(

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:28 pm

sent

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 pm

law_monkey wrote:I actually had a kind of weird experience with them. I sent in my app at the beginning of October, and I got the initial confirmation email but never the completion one. So a couple weeks ago I filled out their status update request online, and a couple days later I got the complete email which was just the generic one and not a reply. So I don't know if they sent that to me because I filled out the request or if they just got around to checking my file and determining its completion. I wouldn't care that much except that it would be a month's difference in completion, so now I have no estimation at all of when I might hear from them. :(

Something similar happened to me. I got their received email on Nov. 3, and it said to inquire if you hadn't hear after two weeks. I used the form on the website, and I just got an email that was basically, "We got your app Nov. 24, please be patient. Don't inquire for two weeks after the 24th."

Weird.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

There's really nothing baffling. This is pretty much how the cycle went last year. They called a handful of people before the break, but it wasn't necessarily people with top numbers or those who applied early. There really doesn't seem to be any pattern to who they called. Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Just another interesting tidbit from LSN, in December they mostly accept people who are around median/75th percentiles. January, they start to accept people well above the 75ths and offer them huge scholarships.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:11 pm

RPK34 wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Dear BU,

Please love us. Thanks!

There's really nothing baffling. This is pretty much how the cycle went last year. They called a handful of people before the break, but it wasn't necessarily people with top numbers or those who applied early. There really doesn't seem to be any pattern to who they called. Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Just another interesting tidbit from LSN, in December they mostly accept people who are around median/75th percentiles. January, they start to accept people well above the 75ths and offer them huge scholarships.

So basically there should be a lot of action on this thread in 2 days...but we shouldn't want to hear yet because that means we're missing out on the better scholarships. Thanks BU, thanks...

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 pm

So basically there should be a lot of action on this thread in 2 days...but we shouldn't want to hear yet because that means we're missing out on the better scholarships. Thanks BU, thanks...[/quote]

Haha yeah, that really maximizes stress, it seems!

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Has anyone who was accepted received anything in the mail yet? When I spoke with the person from the admissions office, she said they would send something in a week or so. I haven't received anything yet.

AHX2

Postby AHX2 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Yeah, I received my packet a couple of days ago.

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 pm

AHX2 wrote:Yeah, I received my packet a couple of days ago.

Wow, this is perplexing

username99

Postby username99 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Did anyone else?

wonkymonkey

Postby wonkymonkey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 pm

username99 wrote:

Did anyone else?

I did but I believe the scholarship info comes later.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm

RPK34 wrote:Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Dear BU,

Please, oh pretty please include me in your next batch of acceptances. I can help you maintain/improve your medians. BU is a top choice, and if accepted, I will very likely attend.

Love,

HeavenWood

P.S. I'm a very special snowflake (I'm so special, it's snowing in Pittsburgh as I speak!) :mrgreen:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:28 pm

Dear BU,

Please accept me! I will love your outside just as much as I love your inside. You are my top choice.

Forever and ever,

GH

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Dear BU,

Please accept me! I will love your outside just as much as I love your inside. You are my top choice.

Forever and ever,

GH

HeavenWood wrote:
RPK34 wrote:Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Dear BU,

Please, oh pretty please include me in your next batch of acceptances. I can help you maintain/improve your medians. BU is a top choice, and if accepted, I will very likely attend.

Love,

HeavenWood

P.S. I'm a very special snowflake (I'm so special, it's snowing in Pittsburgh as I speak!) :mrgreen:

Hahaha these are awesome. Adcoms do have eyes everywhere :twisted: which in this case may bode well for the two of you. I predict admittance.

ldboston

Postby ldboston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:24 pm

For the record, I'm a reapplicant and I got in. A lot had changed since I first applied though.[/quote]

I have more work experience, better reccommendations (at least I think so) and did more BU specific stuff in the app, so i'm hoping that helps!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

ldboston wrote:For the record, I'm a reapplicant and I got in. A lot had changed since I first applied though.

I have more work experience, better reccommendations (at least I think so) and did more BU specific stuff in the app, so i'm hoping that helps![/quote]

Better LSAT scores or gpa by any chance?

ldboston

Postby ldboston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

No, I applied 2 years ago...i took the lsat then and graduated in 2008. My scores are decent for BU...we'll see.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:04 pm

RPK34 wrote: Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Question: were these acceptances given through e-mail or over the phone?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:35 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
RPK34 wrote: Then, the Thursday after Thanksgiving, they sent out a ton of acceptances.

Question: were these acceptances given through e-mail or over the phone?

Aren't BU acceptances via phone?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm

All the ones I've seen on TLS so far have been via phone.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”