BU 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jonillson

Re: BU 2011 Applicants

Postby jonillson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

sidhesadie wrote:Most of us noting waitlist with numbers that should have gotten us in applied in early November, mine at first week of December seems to be the latest. So I don't think filling up early is the culprit.
I also was waitlisted at BC, where my numbers should also have been a pretty good lock since I'm at 75th% LSAT and above 75th% GPA.

Particularly with Elvis Aaron's 171/4.0.....waitlist??
They are obviously doing something interesting with admissions.

Weird cycle. Weird.

No, not weird. YP. It's YP.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 am

LOL, I didn't wanna say that!!!

crankyankees

Postby crankyankees » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 am

anyone else still waiting from November?

Pink

Postby Pink » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 pm

jonillson wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:Most of us noting waitlist with numbers that should have gotten us in applied in early November, mine at first week of December seems to be the latest. So I don't think filling up early is the culprit.
I also was waitlisted at BC, where my numbers should also have been a pretty good lock since I'm at 75th% LSAT and above 75th% GPA.

Particularly with Elvis Aaron's 171/4.0.....waitlist??
They are obviously doing something interesting with admissions.

Weird cycle. Weird.

No, not weird. YP. It's YP.

Some of it, like Elvis. But the rest of us? Who the eff knows.

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 pm

sidhesadie wrote:LOL, I didn't wanna say that!!!

If you're 3.5+/167+ and you've been WLed--and BU's your top choice--write to them and say so (and why, obviously). The WL is not a soft reject for people with these numbers; they're just putting the ball back in your court to see whether you have a legitimate interest in attending BU or have already been lured away by another school. If you want BU, you can get BU.

Even you, Pink.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:09 pm

harrijust86 wrote:In via phone call a couple of days ago!! With a decent scholly! Very excited!! This will be a tough decision because I got into Emory with the same scholly two days later... hmmm.

164/3.74 Non-URM /quote

Retake and go to Yale. Seriously, you have pretty awesome softs. /quote

+1million
Might I ask how old you are? Thats a whole lot of accomplishment /quote

Thanks!! Unfortunately, my 164 was my second try. My first try was a 161. Apparently, my brain is pretty stubborn when I tried learning this test.

I'll turn 25 this summer. I was working at the Pentagon at 19 (my sophomore year). /quote

So you somehow managed to go to the naval academy while working at the pentagon and being an emt trainer for six years. And Then were a jet pilot? Can I be your trophy husband? Seriously, you might be one of the most accomplished 25 year olds on the planet. Is law your passion? Are you gonna do jag? You fascinate me. Also, just wow! And thank you, I now feel both honored and inadequate.

I'm not a Naval Academy grad (thank God!). Those guys Commission out of school with minimal social and life skills. I went to GW and commissioned through the NROTC program. I did the EMT/CPR instructor thing since I was 16, so got a head start on that in high school (when I thought I wanted to be an MD).

I'm flattered at your offer, but I married a Marine jet pilot last year (so that I could be his trophy wife ;)). My personal statement was actually about what it was like to be the only Jew and the only female in a Navy tactical jet squadron. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from admissions offices about my personal statement -- including from BU. The theme of my PS was about being part of changing the status quo, and on the bottom of my acceptance letter, the BU admissions left a hand-written note that said "Here's to changing the status quo!"

Law is definitely a passion. I did a temporary duty assignment working with JAGs in Defense and Legal Assistance at a Naval Legal Service Office. I defended Sailors and Marines at Courts Martial and Admin Separation Boards and turned out to be very good at it. The JAGs recommended I sit for the LSAT and pursue a JD, so I happily took the opportunity when I left Active Duty for Reserve Intelligence.

Going back to Active Duty to return as a JAG is always an option (especially because the DoD won't need to train and commission me as an officer, they can just send me to Navy Justice School), but I'm keeping an open mind. I like being a weekend warrior spy so far, and I have contacts in DOJ Intelligence Policy and OGC Navy/Marine Corps. I would eventually like to work the policy side of the house.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm

catinthewall wrote:
harrijust86 wrote:In via phone call a couple of days ago!! With a decent scholly! Very excited!! This will be a tough decision because I got into Emory with the same scholly two days later... hmmm.

164/3.74 Non-URM /quote

+1million

Thanks!! Unfortunately, my 164 was my second try. My first try was a 161. Apparently, my brain is pretty stubborn when I tried learning this test.

I'll turn 25 this summer. I was working at the Pentagon at 19 (my sophomore year). /quote

So you somehow managed to go to the naval academy while working at the pentagon and being an emt trainer for six years. And Then were a jet pilot? Can I be your trophy husband? Seriously, you might be one of the most accomplished 25 year olds on the planet. Is law your passion? Are you gonna do jag? You fascinate me. Also, just wow! And thank you, I now feel both honored and inadequate.

I'm not a Naval Academy grad (thank God!). Those guys Commission out of school with minimal social and life skills. I went to GW and commissioned through the NROTC program. I did the EMT/CPR instructor thing since I was 16, so got a head start on that in high school (when I thought I wanted to be an MD).

I'm flattered at your offer, but I married a Marine jet pilot last year (so that I could be his trophy wife ;)). My personal statement was actually about what it was like to be the only Jew and the only female in a Navy tactical jet squadron. I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from admissions offices about my personal statement -- including from BU. The theme of my PS was about being part of changing the status quo, and on the bottom of my acceptance letter, the BU admissions left a hand-written note that said "Here's to changing the status quo!"

Law is definitely a passion. I did a temporary duty assignment working with JAGs in Defense and Legal Assistance at a Naval Legal Service Office. I defended Sailors and Marines at Courts Martial and Admin Separation Boards and turned out to be very good at it. The JAGs recommended I sit for the LSAT and pursue a JD, so I happily took the opportunity when I left Active Duty for Reserve Intelligence.

Going back to Active Duty to return as a JAG is always an option (especially because the DoD won't need to train and commission me as an officer, they can just send me to Navy Justice School), but I'm keeping an open mind. I like being a weekend warrior spy so far, and I have contacts in DOJ Intelligence Policy and OGC Navy/Marine Corps. I would eventually like to work the policy side of the house.

Well well, that is quite an amazing ride. Congratulations on it all. Looks like I was a day late and a pilot's licence short! Though oddly enough I have been spending a lot of time lately in the cockpit of F-16's. Not in an "I'm Charlie Sheen and I'm crazy" kind of way either. I don't mean to step over the line, but how do you guys plan on working out the fact that you will be in one location for three years and he most likely wont be?

I can see the allure of being a weekend warrior spy, I've actually been thinking about (obviously dependent on the level of student loans and job prospects upon exiting LS) of trying to make my way into AF JAG or intelligence.

Anyway, Best of Luck! I really believe you can do better than BU, and I love BU. Perhaps thats just self interest speaking after the WL massacre of March 7 '11 though.

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:17 pm

harrijust86 wrote:
catinthewall wrote:

164/3.74 Non-URM /quote

+1million

Well well, that is quite an amazing ride. Congratulations on it all. Looks like I was a day late and a pilot's licence short! Though oddly enough I have been spending a lot of time lately in the cockpit of F-16's. Not in an "I'm Charlie Sheen and I'm crazy" kind of way either. I don't mean to step over the line, but how do you guys plan on working out the fact that you will be in one location for three years and he most likely wont be?

I can see the allure of being a weekend warrior spy, I've actually been thinking about (obviously dependent on the level of student loans and job prospects upon exiting LS) of trying to make my way into AF JAG or intelligence.

Anyway, Best of Luck! I really believe you can do better than BU, and I love BU. Perhaps thats just self interest speaking after the WL massacre of March 7 '11 though.

We're used to it as a mil-mil couple. There's a mutual understanding that he will be doing his thing with the Marine Corps in North Carolina, and I will be doing my spy thing with the Navy and law school where ever I end up going. We're both very ambitious, goal oriented people, and Skype is a wonderful thing.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

jonillson wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:LOL, I didn't wanna say that!!!

If you're 3.5+/167+ and you've been WLed--and BU's your top choice--write to them and say so (and why, obviously). The WL is not a soft reject for people with these numbers; they're just putting the ball back in your court to see whether you have a legitimate interest in attending BU or have already been lured away by another school. If you want BU, you can get BU.

Even you, Pink.

I will try but with talk of them cutting class size, I am worried about getting no scholarship pwned even if i happen to get off and their reason for the WL was yp.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Got a travel stipend. I don't think I can make it to the preview day though. :(

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:36 pm

subtle wrote:Got a travel stipend. I don't think I can make it to the preview day though. :(

Did you get an email about it?

catinthewall

Postby catinthewall » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
subtle wrote:Got a travel stipend. I don't think I can make it to the preview day though. :(

Me too. Yes, it was in an email. I won't make it because I won't get the Leave approved :(

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:

Heyyy you're back, haven't seen you since your anon rampage lol.

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:

Yeah. I did. Which is very nice of BU. I really want to go, but I have to work (and after my week in Spain, I don't think I can take it off).

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Just submitted for a status checker. BU is one of the final pieces of the puzzle although it is becoming more and more apparent that they will most likely not factor in.

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:07 pm

WarioLaw wrote:Just submitted for a status checker. BU is one of the final pieces of the puzzle although it is becoming more and more apparent that they will most likely not factor in.

You've been complete for six weeks with no news?

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Yeah, got the complete email on 01/19. Although I guess that might only be 5 weeks and 6 days, depending on if you count the day I was complete and, um, today. Anyway, I am still waiting.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Just sent mine, too...about 7 weeks. Most people seem to get a generic, "ready for review" response but what the hey.

daniel5126

Postby daniel5126 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
daniel5126 wrote:I got accepted back in January with a 3.5/167 - I'm guessing they filled up their class pretty quickly, hence the WL and dings for people with better numbers than mine!

I applied early November (171/4.0) and just got WL..
I dont think it has squat to do w app date filling the class.
Just sent a LOCI. Man thats humbling.

Hmm.. YP then? They probably figure you're off to another esteemed school in the Boston area.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:

I just emailed the admissions person listed on the Preview Days site to request a stipend. I wrote a couple sentences about how I really want to attend/tour the school/etc. but as I live in San Francisco it would be an expensive trip. I think they just ask you to estimate costs but if you're over 300 miles away you should probably get stipend. The woman was really nice - emailed me back right away and gave me one.

lalu

Postby lalu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:18 am

lucky277 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:

I just emailed the admissions person listed on the Preview Days site to request a stipend. I wrote a couple sentences about how I really want to attend/tour the school/etc. but as I live in San Francisco it would be an expensive trip. I think they just ask you to estimate costs but if you're over 300 miles away you should probably get stipend. The woman was really nice - emailed me back right away and gave me one.

I'm from the Bay Area and am going to the preview day in SF (I believe it's the 28th), are you going? I can't make it to the Preview Days at BU but maybe I'll ask for a stipend to visit another day.

Also, I haven't received any scholarship info...my numbers are 3.6/167 w/ decent softs. Is that not enough for any merit?

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

I'm from the Bay Area and am going to the preview day in SF (I believe it's the 28th), are you going? I can't make it to the Preview Days at BU but maybe I'll ask for a stipend to visit another day.

Also, I haven't received any scholarship info...my numbers are 3.6/167 w/ decent softs. Is that not enough for any merit?[/quote]

Yes! I'll be going to the SF Preview Day right after I get back from the weekend in Boston. Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up at the SF event to talk about the Boston Preview Day. Don't know about merit info, I'm still waiting to see if I'll receive any but it's definitely a big factor in my decision. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

novab

Postby novab » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:03 pm

IN VIA PHONE CALL 1:59 PM

:)

167/3.75

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:20 pm

novab wrote:IN VIA PHONE CALL 1:59 PM

167/3.75

Congratulations! When did you go complete?

Also just glad to see they're calling again. Hope some love is headed my way today too...

harrijust86

Postby harrijust86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
novab wrote:IN VIA PHONE CALL 1:59 PM

167/3.75

Congratulations! When did you go complete?

Also just glad to see they're calling again. Hope some love is headed my way today too...

+1

with the waitlists of last week I was all but sure no-one else was getting phonecalls

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”