BU 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
username99

Re: BU 2011 Applicants

Postby username99 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:21 pm

dakatz wrote:
username99 wrote:Simply put, what is it like to be a BU student? What are the important points?

Hmm, thats pretty broad, but I will try and give you an answer. Being a BU student certainly has many more pros than cons. The faculty is insanely good, and is right on par with the very best law schools in the country. We have a university-wide award every year for the best professor at BU. In both semesters of my 1L year, I get to take a class with a professor who has won that award. And they aren't just masters in their fields, but wonderful with the students. Myself and a group of students had dinner at our professor's house one night, which was a whole lot of fun.

The administration is also quite good. I honestly feel like, if there is anything the student body really wants, the administration will go out of their way to get it done. They treat us much more like adults than any undergrad administration, and they want us to be comfortable and happy here. And it really shows, in that the students are truly happy to be here. I visited a bunch of law schools before I applied. And I remember visiting BU and having random students go out of their way to share info about the school, help us out, talk about how much they enjoyed it, etc. My cynical mind thought that they were planted there by admissions. Yet I find myself doing the same whenever I see prospective students. At many law schools, I'd imagine that a large chunk of students just want to do their time, get their degree, and get out. But I really get the vibe that people at BU enjoy being here.

The social scene and schedule of events is really great as well. Every night there is some group hosting some event. And we also have a bunch of class-wide events like a harbor cruise, ski trip, "bar review" nights, etc. So whenever you put down the books, there is always some event where you can mingle with everyone outside of the law school setting.

To be as fair and balanced as possible, I think I should probably point out a few negatives that I can think of. The facilities are certainly a bit old and not particularly pleasing to the eye. But they are constantly renovating the inside and adding new comp lab areas/study spaces, etc. Again, if the student body wants it done, the administration gets it done. The facilities are sort of a neutral point for me. Its of course nothing I brag about to anyone. But at the same time, it has never been a detriment to my law school experience. Also, the law school is right in the middle of the undergrad campus and right next to the undergrad library. So we don't really get a chunk of the campus to ourselves. But again, these gripes are quite minor compared to the overwhelmingly positive experience I have had here so far.

Wow thanks so much for sharing all that info. The facilities are definitely less important to me than the faculty and things of actual substance. How about the job prospects? Is it more difficult than other comparable schools to succeed in the classroom and to succeed at finding employment? Thanks again

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Can't really speak to employment prospects yet since I'm just a 1L. But I do know a bunch of 2L students with summer positions all set up with big firms. I'm not sure about their class ranks or anything so I can't really say how deep in the class employers were willing to go.

But overall, I think BU is doing better than most comparable schools. You hear about schools like GW not doing so great because the DC market isn't doing too hot. I hear endless bad things about hiring out of Emory and WUSTL. So as far as the top-end regional schools, BU is probably one of the best picks you can make.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Wow dakatz, thank you so much for this information. You make me want to go to BU even more. To be honest, Boston is my top choice for making a living and settling down once I'm out of law school. So obviously, BU or BC would be the best picks for me. BU is definitely inching ahead, though. :wink:

Do you think BU would be worth going to at sticker price, or close to sticker?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Wow dakatz, thank you so much for this information. You make me want to go to BU even more. To be honest, Boston is my top choice for making a living and settling down once I'm out of law school. So obviously, BU or BC would be the best picks for me. BU is definitely inching ahead, though. :wink:

Do you think BU would be worth going to at sticker price, or close to sticker?

Now thats a question I couldn't possibly answer. It is all dependent on your financial situation, willingness to take on debt, personal goals, etc. I am the financially conservative type. Nothing could compel me to take on over 200K in debt (not even the few sticker T-14 options I had available, which I'm sure many other students would have taken up at sticker), because I knew it was a goal all along to find the proper balance between ranking and lack of debt. I want my interests and desires to determine the type of job I end up taking. I don't want it to be determined by the debt I have to pay off (though the economy certainly won't do any favors in making the options terribly plentiful). So its really all relative when it comes to whether or not a school is worth paying sticker for.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:29 pm

On the financial note- how is BU with scholarship money? What #s are generally needed for half, full, etc.?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Deuce wrote:On the financial note- how is BU with scholarship money? What #s are generally needed for half, full, etc.?

In general, they seem to be generous with scholarships. I think this is one of the main reasons why they have managed to put together such a strong class. Many of my friends are here on pretty big scholarships. The kids who have about full probably all scored right around 170. The very high 160's could get you a solid $ award, perhaps 20K or 25K a year. Also, they apparently negotiate scholarship if you have a basis for requesting additional money. I think its a really great thing that they are generous with scholarship money because it allows them to put together a class that defies their rank. I know a bunch of people who turned down T-14 schools to come here because of the generous scholarship among other things.

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:26 pm

dakatz wrote:
Deuce wrote:On the financial note- how is BU with scholarship money? What #s are generally needed for half, full, etc.?

In general, they seem to be generous with scholarships. I think this is one of the main reasons why they have managed to put together such a strong class. Many of my friends are here on pretty big scholarships. The kids who have about full probably all scored right around 170. The very high 160's could get you a solid $ award, perhaps 20K or 25K a year. Also, they apparently negotiate scholarship if you have a basis for requesting additional money. I think its a really great thing that they are generous with scholarship money because it allows them to put together a class that defies their rank. I know a bunch of people who turned down T-14 schools to come here because of the generous scholarship among other things.

Do they send you the scholarship info when you get your letter of admission?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:56 pm

username99 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Do they send you the scholarship info when you get your letter of admission?

I got mine about a week after the acceptance letter, via mail.

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Has anyone who was accepted received anything in the mail yet?

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Please call me BU! I <3 U!!!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Please call me BU! I <3 U!!!

Or e-mail me. I also welcome e-mails. :mrgreen:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 pm

SAAAAAAAAAAME.

Dear Lord, is anyone out there? =-/

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:45 pm

I know they've barely begun handing out acceptances, but that isn't stopping me from being antsy. :mrgreen:

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:48 pm

HeavenWood wrote:I know they've barely begun handing out acceptances, but that isn't stopping me from being antsy. :mrgreen:

When did you send in your app?

I really want a phone call from them. I am a reapplicant and was WL last year. :(

I hope my re-app shows them how much I love their school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:I know they've barely begun handing out acceptances, but that isn't stopping me from being antsy. :mrgreen:

When did you send in your app?

I really want a phone call from them. I am a reapplicant and was WL last year. :(

I hope my re-app shows them how much I love their school.

I've been complete since 11/8. All the acceptees on LSN (not that it's a completely representative sample, of course), were complete before the end of October.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

2L here - if you have specific employment Qs shoot. I ended up with offers in the fed gov in DC and Boston. Its finals, so I can't answer too many Qs, but any specifics let me know.

In totality, 3Ls got screwed really bad, 2Ls aren't in as bad as shape at all.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Blindmelon wrote:2L here - if you have specific employment Qs shoot. I ended up with offers in the fed gov in DC and Boston. Its finals, so I can't answer too many Qs, but any specifics let me know.

Do you know any students/grads with ties to Philly? If so, how did they do coming back home?

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:2L here - if you have specific employment Qs shoot. I ended up with offers in the fed gov in DC and Boston. Its finals, so I can't answer too many Qs, but any specifics let me know.

Do you know any students/grads with ties to Philly? If so, how did they do coming back home?

I know 2 who got bigfirm offers in Philly. They both had ties (I believe) to not Philly, but surrounding areas (basically NJ). At our NYC fair, there are about 5/6 Philly firms that come, but I think one person got it through mailing. Philly isnt a popular location (small market), but not unobtainable if have ties to it or the surrounding areas.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Not to be a downer, but is there any way we can move the discussion of BU Law to another thread? This particular forum is to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists..there must be a better place to discuss job opportunities and the school at large. I only request this because I'm awaiting a phone call and I get anxious every time I see this thread bumped!

ldboston

Postby ldboston » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 pm

I am a reapplicant as well..WL the first time. Hoping they see how much I love them and we get phone calls soon!

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:16 pm

amkid100 wrote:Not to be a downer, but is there any way we can move the discussion of BU Law to another thread? This particular forum is to discuss acceptances, denials, and waitlists..there must be a better place to discuss job opportunities and the school at large. I only request this because I'm awaiting a phone call and I get anxious every time I see this thread bumped!

I agree with this.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 pm

ldboston wrote:I am a reapplicant as well..WL the first time. Hoping they see how much I love them and we get phone calls soon!

+1 <3

username99

Postby username99 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
ldboston wrote:I am a reapplicant as well..WL the first time. Hoping they see how much I love them and we get phone calls soon!

+1 <3

For the record, I'm a reapplicant and I got in. A lot had changed since I first applied though.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Nice! Unfortunately for me, my LSAT only increased by 1 point and I applied earlier. Other than that, it's the same stats. Oh, and another internship.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Has anyone else gotten phone calls yesterday/today? I went complete 9/22, above both medians and haven't heard anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”