Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mst

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Next may, I say we dress up as hobbits and dwarves and run around the law school screaming "Where's Mordor?!" But only if we don't get in.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:56 pm

Sounds good to me. I think you're right - Cornell's just in a tough spot. Hard to recruit to Ithaca, and I think a lot of people use them as the T-14 safety. Perhaps they're switching things up this year to see how it goes (and, like you said, improve yield/medians)

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Done. I'm getting anxious on my EA app. I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

It doesn't look like Rivendale (you mean Rivendell?), but it does look like something out of a fantasy novel.

Also- I wan't my decision now, please- I had a dream last night I was admitted to two schools and was so so happy- and usually I can tell when I'm dreaming, but not this time...

I'm glad we can focus on the important stuff - the spelling of elf capitol cities ;)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:04 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Done. I'm getting anxious on my EA app. I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

It doesn't look like Rivendale (you mean Rivendell?), but it does look like something out of a fantasy novel.

Also- I wan't my decision now, please- I had a dream last night I was admitted to two schools and was so so happy- and usually I can tell when I'm dreaming, but not this time...

I'm glad we can focus on the important stuff - the spelling of elf capitol cities ;)

I may be a nerd, but damnit all if I'm not a nerd.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
I may be a nerd, but damnit all if I'm not a nerd.

+1

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Do you think they'll accept some folks with lower numbers then?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:13 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

I think it looks similar, at the very least.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 pm

That bridge they cross without handrails or guardrails in the movie always makes me nervous (the last picture you posted). All they need to do is trip or something or bump into eachother and BAM - the quest to save middle earth is done. Why would anyone build a bridge like that in the first place? And why are they walking so damn close together???

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:24 pm

mst wrote:That bridge they cross without handrails or guardrails in the movie always makes me nervous (the last picture you posted). All they need to do is trip or something or bump into eachother and BAM - the quest to save middle earth is done. Why would anyone build a bridge like that in the first place? And why are they walking so damn close together???

There's a little lip, at least.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:27 pm

mst wrote:That bridge they cross without handrails or guardrails in the movie always makes me nervous (the last picture you posted). All they need to do is trip or something or bump into eachother and BAM - the quest to save middle earth is done. Why would anyone build a bridge like that in the first place? And why are they walking so damn close together???

It was built by elves. There's a magic barrier that they made invisible just cause it looks cool when nothing has handrails.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:48 pm

mst wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what the heck Cornell is doing this cycle so far. They seem to be running really behind with processing apps (heck even a lot of EA just recently got completed), and they are rejecting and waitlisting numbers which seem close to Auto Admit (which is especially weird this early in the cycle).

If I were to guess, it's a major push to improve their yield and medians. They've been straying a bit too close to bottom t14 status for a while now, and they lack a lot of the protections afforded to Georgetown (attractive DC location and political niche) and Northwestern (attractive Chicago location and business niche).

I wouldn't say there is a major push to raise medians any more than any other cycle. Cornell is just notorious for being extremely slow with apps almost to the point of being disrespectful to it's applicants.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:52 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
mst wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what the heck Cornell is doing this cycle so far. They seem to be running really behind with processing apps (heck even a lot of EA just recently got completed), and they are rejecting and waitlisting numbers which seem close to Auto Admit (which is especially weird this early in the cycle).

If I were to guess, it's a major push to improve their yield and medians. They've been straying a bit too close to bottom t14 status for a while now, and they lack a lot of the protections afforded to Georgetown (attractive DC location and political niche) and Northwestern (attractive Chicago location and business niche).

I wouldn't say there is a major push to raise medians any more than any other cycle. Cornell is just notorious for being extremely slow with apps almost to the point of being disrespectful to it's applicants.

i guess, but cut them some slack. they are a small school w a small admissions staff that experienced a still-inexplicable and anomalous 50% spike in applications last year amidst budget cuts.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:57 pm

amkid100 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

i guess, but cut them some slack. they are a small school w a small admissions staff that experienced a still-inexplicable and anomalous 50% spike in applications last year amidst budget cuts.

I'm pretty sure their reputation has been around for a few years now and isn't the result of just last years cycle. Also, you have info on how big a schools admissions staff is compared to other schools? Post source please, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:18 pm

If you think it's "disrespectful" then withdraw. Seriously. They don't owe you anything. You applied for admissions for next fall, and they'll get you a decision before then. Don't blame your impatience on their method. Would I like to hear back tomorrow about my admission? Of course. Is that likely? Nope. Am I going to claim that the office is disrespectful to me for not getting back to me more quickly? Nope.

It sucks to wait, but that's the name of the game. I won't hear from my top choice until February. Chill out, and hunker down for the rest of the cycle.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:21 pm

eskimo wrote:If you think it's "disrespectful" then withdraw. Seriously. They don't owe you anything. You applied for admissions for next fall, and they'll get you a decision before then. Don't blame your impatience on their method. Would I like to hear back tomorrow about my admission? Of course. Is that likely? Nope. Am I going to claim that the office is disrespectful to me for not getting back to me more quickly? Nope.

It sucks to wait, but that's the name of the game. I won't hear from my top choice until February. Chill out, and hunker down for the rest of the cycle.

Eskimo, I would say it actually IS pretty likely to hear back tomorrow, assuming you made the EA deadline. But that's a pure guess on my part.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:21 pm

they never lied to u. that said, it can be a bit obnoxious when a school keeps you in review for over a month with no details. it would be nice if they could be a little more detailed about what is going on during that month -- we're having a meeting about which applicants to take, thinking over your addendum, debating if we should use your PS as toilet paper or scrap paper, etc.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:25 pm

justadude55 wrote:they never lied to u. that said, it can be a bit obnoxious when a school keeps you in review for over a month with no details. it would be nice if they could be a little more detailed about what is going on during that month -- we're having a meeting about which applicants to take, thinking over your addendum, debating if we should use your PS as toilet paper or scrap paper, etc.

Would you prefer more schools were like GW, which just sends you an email when you're complete, and then gives you a decision?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Eskimo, I would say it actually IS pretty likely to hear back tomorrow, assuming you made the EA deadline. But that's a pure guess on my part.

Eh, I didn't go complete until the 23rd and UR was just last week, so I doubt it. We'll see, I guess!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
eskimo wrote:If you think it's "disrespectful" then withdraw. Seriously. They don't owe you anything. You applied for admissions for next fall, and they'll get you a decision before then. Don't blame your impatience on their method. Would I like to hear back tomorrow about my admission? Of course. Is that likely? Nope. Am I going to claim that the office is disrespectful to me for not getting back to me more quickly? Nope.

Eskimo, I would say it actually IS pretty likely to hear back tomorrow, assuming you made the EA deadline. But that's a pure guess on my part.

I would all depend on when Eskimo went under review. I just went UR on December 1st, so if Cornell has a decision for me that quickly, it better be an acceptance! :mrgreen:

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:24 pm

No one said your particular case was disrespectful. But keeping an applicant waiting without a decision for almost half a year is borderline ridiculous.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:32 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

No one said your particular case was disrespectful. But keeping an applicant waiting without a decision for almost half a year is borderline ridiculous.

This is pretty much how many, many top schools are if you aren't auto-admit though? I don't really see how this is ridiculous.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Waiting six months is an issue? Nobody said you HAD to turn your law school application in 4 months before the deadline. You could have easily waited until the deadline and then only have had to wait 2 months or less for a decision!

If you finish a test early, do you expect a professor to grade it right then and get back to you before the test is even finished? No. He might, which would be awesome, but why should he or she be obligated to do that? Overly-high expectations ITT.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 pm

mst wrote:Waiting six months is an issue? Nobody said you HAD to turn your law school application in 4 months before the deadline. You could have easily waited until the deadline and then only have had to wait 2 months or less for a decision!

If you finish a test early, do you expect a professor to grade it right then and get back to you before the test is even finished? No. He might, which would be awesome, but why should he or she be obligated to do that? Overly-high expectations ITT.

Totally agree. Speaks to the sense of entitlement present in pretty much all of America now.

Am I anxious as hell? Yes, god yes I am. But c'mon, they have to go through thousands of apps, and do it "holistically" (so we hope) so I think they're doing a fine job.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Cornell doesn't owe you anything. They're taking whatever approach to applications that they feel they need to in order to form the class they think is best for the law school. They probably just don't want to fill their class 4 months before everyone has applied. You are aware that there is a february sitting for the lsat, right?

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:23 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
mst wrote:Waiting six months is an issue? Nobody said you HAD to turn your law school application in 4 months before the deadline. You could have easily waited until the deadline and then only have had to wait 2 months or less for a decision!

Totally agree. Speaks to the sense of entitlement present in pretty much all of America now.

Am I anxious as hell? Yes, god yes I am. But c'mon, they have to go through thousands of apps, and do it "holistically" (so we hope) so I think they're doing a fine job.

You mean in the age of microwave noodles and broadband internet, there is still a need for patience? I should probably just chill anyways. As soon as I hear back from all my schools, me wringing my hands over waiting to hear back is going to turn into me ringing my hands over which one to actually go to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”