Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pinkzeppelin

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby pinkzeppelin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Emma1 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
eskimo wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Cornell is pretty stingy, I wouldn't expect much $$ unless you had numbers above both 75th or at least one above 75th and another near/at median.

What are their 75ths? I looked on the website but could only find the medians (168/3.70)

168/3.81

Their median lsat is same as their 75th.

How can the median be their 75th?

by having at least 25% of their class have the same lsat score.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:51 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Their median lsat is same as their 75th.

How can the median be their 75th?

by having at least 25% of their class have the same lsat score.

They should take a cue from the University of Minnesota and have more LSAT diversity. :lol:

username99

Postby username99 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Nothing today, huh?

masson

Postby masson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:57 pm

username99 wrote:Nothing today, huh?

Apparently not....submitted on 10/30....not even under review :(

potteryschmottery

Postby potteryschmottery » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Am I an auto-ding by being 1 year out of school and submitting 1 academic and 1 professional LOR? The instructions state that they require 2 academic LOR's if you are less than 2 years out of school, but I don't have an extra. :/

mths

Postby mths » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:40 pm

potteryschmottery wrote:Am I an auto-ding by being 1 year out of school and submitting 1 academic and 1 professional LOR? The instructions state that they require 2 academic LOR's if you are less than 2 years out of school, but I don't have an extra. :/

try to find one

also, call the admissions office and ask

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 pm

mths wrote:
potteryschmottery wrote:Am I an auto-ding by being 1 year out of school and submitting 1 academic and 1 professional LOR? The instructions state that they require 2 academic LOR's if you are less than 2 years out of school, but I don't have an extra. :/

try to find one

They contacted me after submission to ask if I wanted my app considered as is or if I would add another academic LOR. I asked if it's better to wait quite awhile (as it takes forever to get a letter), get an academic eval instead, or to just go ahead and submit (as it was September at the time). They suggested that I get the evaluation and said it would count-- they don't seem to be as time intensive for professors, anyway.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:52 pm

arism87 wrote:
mths wrote:

try to find one

They contacted me after submission to ask if I wanted my app considered as is or if I would add another academic LOR. I asked if it's better to wait quite awhile (as it takes forever to get a letter), get an academic eval instead, or to just go ahead and submit (as it was September at the time). They suggested that I get the evaluation and said it would count-- they don't seem to be as time intensive for professors, anyway.

I don't think you're an auto ding. It would be worse if you were in UG right now and couldn't get one.

jbles2

Postby jbles2 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a statistic where I can find a static on how many 150's Cornell lets in a year. I don't want to waste the $80 if its 0. I'll be happy if a 1/8 of a percent of 150's make it.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 pm

jbles2 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a statistic where I can find a static on how many 150's Cornell lets in a year. I don't want to waste the $80 if its 0. I'll be happy if a 1/8 of a percent of 150's make it.

Are you a URM?

bigwillie

Postby bigwillie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

jbles2 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a statistic where I can find a static on how many 150's Cornell lets in a year. I don't want to waste the $80 if its 0. I'll be happy if a 1/8 of a percent of 150's make it.

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/

It seems like they let in a few people every year with scores under 160, the majority of whom seem to be URMs, but there are a few high 150s on LSN who have gotten in. There's one 150 URM who got in a few years ago, but I wouldnt bank on it.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:20 pm

bigwillie wrote:

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/

It seems like they let in a few people every year with scores under 160, the majority of whom seem to be URMs, but there are a few high 150s on LSN who have gotten in. There's one 150 URM who got in a few years ago, but I wouldnt bank on it.

to say the least.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:50 am

Being a URM isn't a golden ticket to the Universe, btw.

I just got rejected to UVA. Either you have a compelling story and the school wants to give the students they actually care about a diverse environment... or they don't. These schools don't owe anything to anyone.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 am

lisjjen wrote:Being a URM isn't a golden ticket to the Universe, btw.

I just got rejected to UVA. Either you have a compelling story and the school wants to give the students they actually care about a diverse environment... or they don't. These schools don't owe anything to anyone.

Hmm. I think I'm URM, but according to tls I am not (since I'm of Hispanic heritage, but not Mex). UVA WL's me. I applied there ED. Maybe it's a soft rejection

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 pm

I'll just go out on a limb to say this: I don't believe UVA should ever be the basis of whether or not you are having a great, bad, or OK cycle. It's way too odd. They YP a ton of people, so maybe they thought you could do better and WL'd you to see where else you go. Or maybe they didn't like you and your app. Or maybe your numbers just weren't good enough. It's just impossible to tell with them, because they probably have one of the broader spreads number-wise in the t14, and they are notorious YP.

The fact that you were rejected ED tends to suggest you should either improve your numbers or app though.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:31 pm

mst wrote:The fact that you were rejected ED tends to suggest you should either improve your numbers or app though.

One of us got waitlisted ED, one of us got rejected RD. All I'm trying to say is people quickly get bitter about the URM bump, but it's not infinite.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:
mst wrote:The fact that you were rejected ED tends to suggest you should either improve your numbers or app though.

One of us got waitlisted ED, one of us got rejected RD. All I'm trying to say is people quickly get bitter about the URM bump, but it's not infinite.

No one was getting "bitter about the URM bump" so please don't turn this thread into a URM discussion. There are plenty of other threads on that. Let's keep this thread on-topic: Cornell.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah, I have no idea what the heck Cornell is doing this cycle so far. They seem to be running really behind with processing apps (heck even a lot of EA just recently got completed), and they are rejecting and waitlisting numbers which seem close to Auto Admit (which is especially weird this early in the cycle).

If I were to guess, it's a major push to improve their yield and medians. They've been straying a bit too close to bottom t14 status for a while now, and they lack a lot of the protections afforded to Georgetown (attractive DC location and political niche) and Northwestern (attractive Chicago location and business niche).
Last edited by mst on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:50 pm

eskimo wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

No one was getting "bitter about the URM bump" so please don't turn this thread into a URM discussion. There are plenty of other threads on that. Let's keep this thread on-topic: Cornell.

Done. I'm getting anxious on my EA app. I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm

lisjjen wrote:I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

Sounds like an awesome statement to write in that "Why Cornell" box on their application. Haha.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:52 pm

mst wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what the heck Cornell is doing this cycle so far. They seem to be running really behind with processing apps (heck even a lot of EA just recently got completed), and they are rejecting and waitlisting numbers which seem close to Auto Admit (which is especially weird this early in the cycle).

As far as running behind, that appears to be the same as last cycle - they're just slow.

As far as the surprising rejections go - eek. Who knows what's going on there? :?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 pm

mst wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

Sounds like an awesome statement to write in that "Why Cornell" box on their application. Haha.

hahahahahahahaa this is SO credited. I lol'd at "I've heard it looks like Rivendale." (But seriously, it does!)

mst

Postby mst » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 pm

eskimo wrote:
mst wrote:Yeah, I have no idea what the heck Cornell is doing this cycle so far. They seem to be running really behind with processing apps (heck even a lot of EA just recently got completed), and they are rejecting and waitlisting numbers which seem close to Auto Admit (which is especially weird this early in the cycle).

As far as running behind, that appears to be the same as last cycle - they're just slow.

As far as the surprising rejections go - eek. Who knows what's going on there? :?

I edited my last post to put forth a guess, but that's about it.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:53 pm

lisjjen wrote:
Done. I'm getting anxious on my EA app. I would love to go to Cornell so much. I've heard it looks like Rivendale. The whole, international prestige thing is nice too.

It doesn't look like Rivendale (you mean Rivendell?), but it does look like something out of a fantasy novel.

Also- I wan't my decision now, please- I had a dream last night I was admitted to two schools and was so so happy- and usually I can tell when I'm dreaming, but not this time...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”