Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HeavenWood

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Knock wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
eskimo wrote:I am "processing"

A mi tambien.

I plan on calling next Monday if everything isn't in order by then.

It takes a while to process applications when the office is frozen.

As long as I'm complete before November 15th...

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:3.79/168. Wish me luck. I'm predicting a WL/Reject though.

Cornell's very, very high for me too and I have similar numbers. Good luck!

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Deuce wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:3.79/168. Wish me luck. I'm predicting a WL/Reject though.

Cornell's very, very high for me too and I have similar numbers. Good luck!

Good luck to you two both! I also have very similar numbers, and would say Cornell's decently high on my list (I'm from NY).

Still not saying I'm complete even though I submitted on the 31st with everything in and all my other schools have gone complete and its complete on status check. I assume I'm fine.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 am

EDIT
Last edited by shanshan333 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 am

I just stuck to the lines. If they wanted us to write more than that, there would probably have been an optional "Why Cornell?" essay.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:18 am

shanshan333 wrote:Does Cornell just keep our answers to 'Why Cornell' limited to the lines they provide in the app, or did anyone provide an attachment with a paragraph or so?

I provided an attachment and had asked an admissions lady earlier if that was acceptable. she said it's more than fine to do so.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 pm

Last edited by shanshan333 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:17 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. It looks like two opposite answers. She said it's fine to do so, I wonder if it's advisable. I suppose if you have something substantial to say? If I wrote an attachment I would probably just label it is 'Item 19' or something. I think that's the number at which they ask you 'Why Cornell'.

I doubt it would hurt. I just don't think it's necessary. But if you're feeling that strongly about it, there's no reason not to go for it.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:19 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:Thanks for the quick responses. It looks like two opposite answers. She said it's fine to do so, I wonder if it's advisable. I suppose if you have something substantial to say? If I wrote an attachment I would probably just label it is 'Item 19' or something. I think that's the number at which they ask you 'Why Cornell'.

I doubt it would hurt. I just don't think it's necessary. But if you're feeling that strongly about it, there's no reason not to go for it.

exactly. as long as it isn't poorly written and as long as you have something worthwhile to say (which i'm sure you do if you are applying), it definitely cannot hurt.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Anyone care to read? It's a paragraph. Short and sweet.

Cornell Law School is one of my top choices because I appreciate the fact that the school approaches the study of law "within the context of its ultimate humanity". It is important to me that Cornell emphasizes producing lawyers that are "cut from a different cloth,” and that the university emphasizes a liberal education. For this reason, I am also impressed with Cornell’s premier public interest department and the fact that the university’s students have logged a total of 876 hours. It is evident that Cornell values providing students with the opportunity to give back and be active participants in humanity’s progression and also allows students to enjoy the time spent with classmates helping the community. Furthermore, the fact that Ithaca is surrounded by nature and has many beautiful landscapes also makes Cornell Law School a particularly appealing university. I love horseback riding and snowboarding and I believe Ithaca is the perfect place in which to do both of these activities. Horseback riding in particular is a passion of mine that I itch to do everyday; as a result, I would be delighted and thrilled by the opportunity to possibly join Cornell’s prestigious equestrian team.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Anyone care to read? It's a paragraph. Short and sweet.

Cornell Law School is one of my top choices because I appreciate the fact that the school approaches the study of law "within the context of its ultimate humanity". It is important to me that Cornell emphasizes producing lawyers that are "cut from a different cloth,” and that the university emphasizes a liberal education. For this reason, I am also impressed with Cornell’s premier public interest department and the fact that the university’s students have logged a total of 876 hours. It is evident that Cornell values providing students with the opportunity to give back and be active participants in humanity’s progression and also allows students to enjoy the time spent with classmates helping the community. Furthermore, the fact that Ithaca is surrounded by nature and has many beautiful landscapes also makes Cornell Law School a particularly appealing university. I love horseback riding and snowboarding and I believe Ithaca is the perfect place in which to do both of these activities. Horseback riding in particular is a passion of mine that I itch to do everyday; as a result, I would be delighted and thrilled by the opportunity to possibly join Cornell’s prestigious equestrian team.

I wrote like two sentences pointing out that my entire undergraduate focus of study has been on Japan studies and they have an east Asian law specialty. I think you're fine. I'm pretty sure you can't join a collegiate equestrian team- can you? Have you confirmed?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:Anyone care to read? It's a paragraph. Short and sweet.

I wrote like two sentences pointing out that my entire undergraduate focus of study has been on Japan studies and they have an east Asian law specialty. I think you're fine. I'm pretty sure you can't join a collegiate equestrian team- can you? Have you confirmed?

you probably can if it is a club, ncaa sport no.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I called and they said that one law student was on it before... Just one that they know of though. I said the possibility... maybe I should discuss that a little more by saying or even the opportunity to meet the undergraduate students on the team... etc.

EDIT: I added the following:

Though I am aware that the team has only had one other law student and is mostly comprised of undergraduates, if I am unable to join, I would value the opportunity to meet the undergraduates on the team and to ride at the same barn.
Last edited by shanshan333 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:51 pm

shanshan333 wrote:I called and they said that one law student was on it before... Just one that they know of though. I said the possibility... maybe I should discuss that a little more by saying or even the opportunity to meet the undergraduate students on the team... etc.

Actually, even if it's an NCAA team, it occurs to me graduate students are allowed to compete so long as they still have elligibility... at least that's true for football/basketball.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 pm

shanshan333 wrote:I called and they said that one law student was on it before... Just one that they know of though. I said the possibility... maybe I should discuss that a little more by saying or even the opportunity to meet the undergraduate students on the team... etc.

I included a similar note about a club sports team in some of my why X essays. I think it shows that you've done your homework on the school and you have interest in the university that extends beyond the law school. I think expressing interest is fine, as long as you're not stating 'i will make this sports team' since after all you don't really know.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:

Actually, even if it's an NCAA team, it occurs to me graduate students are allowed to compete so long as they still have elligibility... at least that's true for football/basketball.

This could be true, I don't actually know. I don't have elligibility anymore so club for me it is :)

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Horseback riding is weird. I don't think it really works like that with the NCAA stuff. They said they have had a law student on it before but only one so it is possible law students just probably aren't interested in it because you have to get up at 5 a.m. everyday for practice. That team is sick though and I would be thrilled to be on it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:23 pm

I know Michigan had a law student play on their football team (from Ohio State lol) so maybe u can if it is ncaa too.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:23 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

I know Michigan had a law student play on their football team (from Ohio State lol) so maybe u can if it is ncaa too.

see my post above.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:32 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

see my post above.

Just pointing out anecdote about a similar situation. Some clubs do have eligibility restrictions too though. I played rugby my sophomore year after I gave up football and rugby also has a 5 year eligibility limit.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Apparently I checked the box saying I would provide a diversity statement...oops. When I clarified that I didn't have a DS they seemed let down.

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Just went complete.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Sentry wrote:Just went complete.

dang...when did you apply? I applied October 12, and its still processing ..starting to get a little antsy.

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Completed as of a few minutes ago. Email told me they would have a decision by mid to late December

Sentry

Postby Sentry » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:34 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
Sentry wrote:Just went complete.

dang...when did you apply? I applied October 12, and its still processing ..starting to get a little antsy.

I applied 10/6.

I got the same email saying mid-late december.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”