Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
masterthearts

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Here is the exerpt from the email I received in response to my question:
You’ve obviously done well at a strong school and have shown the ability to thrive in an academic environment. That’s important to us, and will usually outweigh the LSAT score because your college record is based on actual performance not a high-stakes test’s prediction about future performance.

So, to make a long story short, I think Cornell places a lot of weight on a high GPA from tough school..sounds like they might be favoring reverse splitters this cycle (never did any research on previous cycles)

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Yay for the Complete 11/15ers...

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm a non-mex hispanic and my app has been complete and ready for review (per the email since 11/17). I'm a reverse splitter at an ivy league with GPA over 3.8 and lsat 163.
I actually emailed Geiger about my low lsat score. He said a high GPA is a better indication of one's abilities than a score on a single day. So, I hope that bodes well for me.

You’ve obviously done well at a strong school and have shown the ability to thrive in an academic environment. That’s important to us, and will usually outweigh the LSAT score because your college record is based on actual performance not a high-stakes test’s prediction about future performance.

Keep deluding yourself.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
I'm a non-mex hispanic and my app has been complete and ready for review (per the email since 11/17). I'm a reverse splitter at an ivy league with GPA over 3.8 and lsat 163.
I actually emailed Geiger about my low lsat score. He said a high GPA is a better indication of one's abilities than a score on a single day. So, I hope that bodes well for me.

Keep deluding yourself.

Really, what are you talking about. If they just wanted to accept those with a 168+ and a 3.7+, they could use a computer to make the decisions and would need only ONE adcom to glance through the app to make sure there are no arrests, or other negative marks.
You are deluding yourself.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:20 pm

masterthearts wrote:Here is the exerpt from the email I received in response to my question:

So, to make a long story short, I think Cornell places a lot of weight on a high GPA from tough school..sounds like they might be favoring reverse splitters this cycle (never did any research on previous cycles)

Cornell is pretty splitter averse in general if I recall correctly

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Is grad school GPA ever taken into consideration? I hope so! I've done a lot better in grad school than I did in undergrad.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:23 pm

masterthearts wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Keep deluding yourself.

Really, what are you talking about. If they just wanted to accept those with a 168+ and a 3.7+, they could use a computer to make the decisions and would need only ONE adcom to glance through the app to make sure there are no arrests, or other negative marks.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you about your chances of getting in, but can't your point be made about any combination of LSAT/GPA (i.e., your metric for assessment is no more "special" than what you criticize)? And if you want to add in selectivity based on UG, they could toss in a list of schools into their computer program.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

masterthearts wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Keep deluding yourself.

I'm not saying that's the only criteria but GL thinking that your 3.8 GPA will outweigh a 163 LSAT.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:34 pm

IsleMet wrote:Is grad school GPA ever taken into consideration? I hope so! I've done a lot better in grad school than I did in undergrad.

No.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:35 pm

IsleMet wrote:Is grad school GPA ever taken into consideration? I hope so! I've done a lot better in grad school than I did in undergrad.

It's just a soft.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:36 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Keep deluding yourself.

I'm not saying that's the only criteria but GL thinking that your 3.8 GPA will outweigh a 163 LSAT.

Well, soft factors are also considered, such as recs, resume, etc.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:38 pm

No, because if you don't have a high grad school GPA, you usually get kicked out of the program anyway. Getting a grad degree is a nice soft, but it basically implies that you did well in it anyway (grade-wise).

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

From what I can see on LSN, the people who already received decisions are those who went complete on or before 11/1.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm

mths wrote:
masterthearts wrote:Here is the exerpt from the email I received in response to my question:

since when?

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Still sitting in the 2nd phase of "under review" as of 11/29... why me, oh god no. :(

what do you mean by 2nd phase?
you've had two different dates that have said UR?

I'm at the first one for UR at 11/29

the last person to get accepted though went UR, then six days later was admitted.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Miracle wrote:
mths wrote:

since when?

I've always thought this but it's just anecdotal evidence. I'm not sure on an aggregate level whether Cornell does dislike splitters.

They are definitely more splitter adverse than Georgetown though.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:52 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Miracle wrote:
mths wrote:

since when?

I've always thought this but it's just anecdotal evidence. I'm not sure on an aggregate level whether Cornell does dislike splitters.

They are definitely more splitter adverse than Georgetown though.

Interesting. They didn't sound that way when I spoke with them

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Interesting. They didn't sound that way when I spoke with them

What did they say?

Snape

Postby Snape » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 pm

nevermind
Last edited by Snape on Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Compete since 11/11, updated 11/29. Still nothing.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Snape wrote:Cornell likes 168+ LSAT...they will settle for 167s with 3.85+....166 or lower is just a dream in the dark in need of other plans....163 is near dead....sorry

Well, we'll see about that. Does legacy count?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Snape wrote:Cornell likes 168+ LSAT...they will settle for 167s with 3.85+....166 or lower is just a dream in the dark in need of other plans....163 is near dead....sorry

Someone in this thread just got rejected with a 168/3.88. He had multiple underage drinking violations though? I thought TLS wisdom though was that these don't really matter.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

RTFM wrote:Compete since 11/11, updated 11/29. Still nothing.

Complete or UR on either date?

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Well, we'll see about that. Does legacy count?

Here's to hoping!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Someone in this thread just got rejected with a 168/3.88. He had multiple underage drinking violations though? I thought TLS wisdom though was that these don't really matter.

multiple matters
recent matters
bad addendum matters

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”