Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 am

Has there been anyone go from reserve to rejected? Because it's seeming like reserve was just a pre-wait list, as opposed to a lot of other schools who have gone hold to rejected.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:05 am

snichols16 wrote:Has there been anyone go from reserve to rejected? Because it's seeming like reserve was just a pre-wait list, as opposed to a lot of other schools who have gone hold to rejected.


Do this thing called a search and you'll see tons of reserve apps that were rejected

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:08 am

Kabuo wrote:6/2, 6/13, 6/14. Annnnnnnd waitlist. FML.


Damn, sorry to hear that. Going to stick it out?

gwen.staci
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gwen.staci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:10 am

I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 am

NYC Law wrote:
Kabuo wrote:6/2, 6/13, 6/14. Annnnnnnd waitlist. FML.


Damn, sorry to hear that. Going to stick it out?


For now, yeah. Planning on moving into a place in STL in August though. If they think I'm going to back out of a lease and move again for sticker at Cornell if they admit me in mid August or something, they're mistaken. I might do that for Michigan, but not Cornell. And it seems like with the pace of everything else they've done, mid August might be when we find out.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:11 am

gwen.staci wrote:I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.


Go to Pharmacy school

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Ginj » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 am

NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.


Go to Pharmacy school


TITCR

gwen.staci
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gwen.staci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:16 am

Ginj wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.


Go to Pharmacy school


TITCR


Ironic response since this is a law forum. =P

User avatar
Ginj
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Ginj » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

gwen.staci wrote:
Ginj wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.


Go to Pharmacy school


TITCR


Ironic response since this is a law forum. =P


I've never heard of an unemployed pharmacist.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Kabuo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:18 am

Also, it would be really swell if schools could tell us why we were rejected. I typically just assume it's my GPA, but that's not a satisfying answer when the numbers are well within range of what's been accepted before, even this year. I even sent a pretty substantial LOCI, while it seems like at least a few people are being admitted as something of a surprise (after forgetting they were in the running or w/e).

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:20 am

Pharmacy school is a much safer route. Plus UNC is a great environment & a highly respected pharmacy school. Law school is for those who are not good at math & science who want to postpone reality for a few years. :wink:

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 am

BLS on Pharmacy Outlook wrote:Employment is expected to increase faster than the average. As a result of job growth, the need to replace workers who leave the occupation, and the limited capacity of training programs, job prospects should be excellent.


BLS on Lawyer Outlook wrote:About as fast as the average employment growth is projected, but job competition is expected to be keen.


Heck, I'm considering switching now that I look into it, I still like math and science.

gwen.staci
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gwen.staci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:27 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Pharmacy school is a much safer route. Plus UNC is a great environment & a highly respected pharmacy school. Law school is for those who are not good at math & science who want to postpone reality for a few years. :wink:

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:29 am

Also, I know many unhappy lawyers seeking outside business opportunities to facilitate a career change, but I don't know any pharmacists looking for a career change---other than a desire to attend medical school.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:29 am

gwen.staci wrote:
Ginj wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:I was accepted to some other law schools: gtown with no aid, wash u with 40k, emory with 70k.

I was also accepted to #2 pharmacy school, UNC, as well as USC, VCU.. etc..

I have options, just playing with the Cornell idea. Just seeing what you guys think.


Go to Pharmacy school


TITCR


Ironic response since this is a law forum. =P


We're a self-loathing bunch.

gwen.staci
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gwen.staci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 am

Yikes. Sorry for the post glitch. I think I wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was just looking into pharmacy or law school because I was thinking about doing pharmacy policy, FDA, areas that overlapped...

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

gwen.staci wrote:Yikes. Sorry for the post glitch. I think I wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was just looking into pharmacy or law school because I was thinking about doing pharmacy policy, FDA, areas that overlapped...


Have you applied to BU? They have a good health law program

gwen.staci
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gwen.staci » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:33 am

NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:Yikes. Sorry for the post glitch. I think I wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was just looking into pharmacy or law school because I was thinking about doing pharmacy policy, FDA, areas that overlapped...


Have you applied to BU? They have a good health law program



I was too lazy to write another essay....

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:35 am

gwen.staci wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
gwen.staci wrote:Yikes. Sorry for the post glitch. I think I wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I was just looking into pharmacy or law school because I was thinking about doing pharmacy policy, FDA, areas that overlapped...


Have you applied to BU? They have a good health law program



I was too lazy to write another essay....


Didn't even know they had essays, I didn't write one and got 10k

User avatar
aaaaaah
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby aaaaaah » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 am

How many here are staying on the summer waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if I'd really be able to move at the last minute. Hmmph.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:56 am

aaaaaah wrote:How many here are staying on the summer waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if I'd really be able to move at the last minute. Hmmph.


I'm going to stick around, maybe interview, but I'm thinking of just following through with Fordham instead of all the hassle of a last minute change if I even were admitted.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 am

NYC Law wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:How many here are staying on the summer waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if I'd really be able to move at the last minute. Hmmph.


I'm going to stick around, maybe interview, but I'm thinking of just following through with Fordham instead of all the hassle of a last minute change if I even were admitted.


I think you can afford to sit on it for another couple weeks, but come July you'll probably need to start making plans to attend one of the schools you're in at.

User avatar
Sandstorm
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Sandstorm » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 am

Was just put on the summer waitlist from 6/14 as well. I'm not sure my dream of Cornell will ever be realized now. Extremely depressing. I dread making plans for my other school.


I even sent a pretty substantial LOCI, while it seems like at least a few people are being admitted as something of a surprise (after forgetting they were in the running or w/e)


I too wrote a substantial LOCI, explaining again my love of cornell and that I would accept if offered admission. Its amazing that people would even have to think about it. I'm ofcourse going to stay on the waitlist, but I'm seriously wondering if they ever plan on giving me a favorable outcome.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby sreichel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:19 am

bigjinjapan wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:How many here are staying on the summer waitlist? I'm trying to figure out if I'd really be able to move at the last minute. Hmmph.


I'm going to stick around, maybe interview, but I'm thinking of just following through with Fordham instead of all the hassle of a last minute change if I even were admitted.


I think you can afford to sit on it for another couple weeks, but come July you'll probably need to start making plans to attend one of the schools you're in at.

Agreed, i'll probably stay on until July starts, but then I need to plan housing and sign leases and ish

User avatar
gsat
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby gsat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Sandstorm wrote:Was just put on the summer waitlist from 6/14 as well. I'm not sure my dream of Cornell will ever be realized now. Extremely depressing. I dread making plans for my other school.


I even sent a pretty substantial LOCI, while it seems like at least a few people are being admitted as something of a surprise (after forgetting they were in the running or w/e)


I too wrote a substantial LOCI, explaining again my love of cornell and that I would accept if offered admission. Its amazing that people would even have to think about it. I'm ofcourse going to stay on the waitlist, but I'm seriously wondering if they ever plan on giving me a favorable outcome.


+1....I think I'm going to try to interview. That is the last chance I have besides begging and pleading.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”