Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitmuch

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:03 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:In! :)

congrats! out of curiosity as it doesn't really matter to me anymore...are thos stats for real?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Congrats!!!

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Emma1 wrote:
sreichel wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
sreichel wrote:6/2 updated to 6/13 still in review... and fucking scared now...

You just got off the Georgetown waitlist. Do you want Cornell more than Georgegtown?

All else being exactly equal, i'd probably take Georgetown, but if $ was involved at Cornell, i'm not really sure what I'd do yet...

Good luck!

Yeah I know, but a guy can hope :)

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 pm

splitmuch wrote:

congrats! out of curiosity as it doesn't really matter to me anymore...are thos stats for real?

Thanks!

And no lol.. 3.7 170 (retake) actually

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Thanks!

Any luck with MVPDG? Not that I want you to withdraw from C or anything, but those #s are pretty good :D

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

Thanks!

Any luck with MVPDG? Not that I want you to withdraw from C or anything, but those #s are pretty good :D

I got into my undergrad/favorite school ut with a nice scholly and turned down a much smaller scholly at gtown, but then missed ut's deposit deadline after already forfeiting my spot at gtown, so I deposited at vandy (and was depressed/kicking myself)

I will have to decide whether Cornell at sticker is better than vandy with 65k.. We'll see

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
I got into my undergrad/favorite school ut with a nice scholly and turned down a much smaller scholly, but then missed ut's deposit deadline after already forfeiting my spot at gtown, so I deposited at vandy (and was depressed/kicking myself)

I will have to decide whether Cornell at sticker is better than vandy with 65k.. We'll see

Why did you miss the dpeosit deadline at UT? Did you just forget? Did you try explaining the situation?

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm

splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
I got into my undergrad/favorite school ut with a nice scholly and turned down a much smaller scholly, but then missed ut's deposit deadline after already forfeiting my spot at gtown, so I deposited at vandy (and was depressed/kicking myself)

Why did you miss the dpeosit deadline at UT? Did you just forget? Did you try explaining the situation?

I was a dumbass and forgot (actually confused it with vandy's)

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:19 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:

Damn, at least you still have good options. Did you try talking to UT/were they just stone cold about it?

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 pm

splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:

Damn, at least you still have good options. Did you try talking to UT/were they just stone cold about it?

Most schools don't seem too strict about deadlines. I paid my deposit like 2 weeks late for where I'm going (assuming Cornell doesn't pan out).

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:26 pm

splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:

They offered me a spot on the waitlist, which I declined. I thought that 1) getting money off the wl was a long shot and 2) vandy offered better employment prospects, so I just deposited at vandy

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
They offered me a spot on the waitlist, which I declined. I thought that 1) getting money off the wl was a long shot and 2) vandy offered better employment prospects, so I just deposited at vandy

Thats a pretty hardass position, especially considering you are a UT ug. Your decision makes sense though.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Any idea if you're going to attend and give up Vandy? I gave up a medium scholarship at Vandy for Gtown (at sticker unless they get back to me with financial aid). It's a rough decision

theturkeyisfat

Postby theturkeyisfat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:55 pm

sreichel wrote:Any idea if you're going to attend and give up Vandy? I gave up a medium scholarship at Vandy for Gtown (at sticker unless they get back to me with financial aid). It's a rough decision

I'm gonna think hard about this... Tuition is 51k! But the school stays on your resume your whole career..

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:08 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
sreichel wrote:Any idea if you're going to attend and give up Vandy? I gave up a medium scholarship at Vandy for Gtown (at sticker unless they get back to me with financial aid). It's a rough decision

I'm gonna think hard about this... Tuition is 51k! But the school stays on your resume your whole career..

That's true, and here's what I thought: How many employers do you think say "ok, we're just going to interview Tier 1, the Top 14"? That means you could be NUMBER FREAKING 1 at Vanderbilt, and miss out on opportunities because of the school. The other thing is where do you want to work? Cornell will be better at getting into NY, Vandy is better for the south, both are decent on the west coast. You may already be thinking all these things, this is just what I thought about. If you want someone to bounce ideas off of PM me.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

sreichel wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:

That's true, and here's what I thought: How many employers do you think say "ok, we're just going to interview Tier 1, the Top 14"? That means you could be NUMBER FREAKING 1 at Vanderbilt, and miss out on opportunities because of the school. The other thing is where do you want to work? Cornell will be better at getting into NY, Vandy is better for the south, both are decent on the west coast. You may already be thinking all these things, this is just what I thought about. If you want someone to bounce ideas off of PM me.

It's certainly true that for some firms you will have to initiate the interview yourself as some do not do OCI at schools outside the T14, but #1 at Vandy is going to have pretty much the same options as #1 at Cornell I think.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Well yeah #1 at any school is going to have great options, it was an exaggeration, but I feel like T14 will by definition open doors for you that non T14 will struggle with. After that it's about which door you want opened (i.e. big law in NY, politics in D.C., entertainment in L.A., etc.)

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

Past 430. Guess that's another day of no decision. It's nbd really though, it's only mid June.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

cubbycake725 wrote:Another WL here. Will not be riding this one out.
Good luck to everyone still waiting! Especially Naked Dude! (I feel like you deserve a shoutout, ND :D)

Ha thanks for the shoutout. Well there is closure in not riding out a WL. Live long and prosper

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 pm

I've been wary of giving away too much information about myself, but I'll just say it. As an alumnus, not getting into Cornell really hurt. There I said it.

/therapy session

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I've been wary of giving away too much information about myself, but I'll just say it. As an alumnus, not getting into Cornell really hurt. There I said it.

/therapy session

Way to "bare it all" naked dude.

See what I did there? :wink:

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 pm

sreichel wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I've been wary of giving away too much information about myself, but I'll just say it. As an alumnus, not getting into Cornell really hurt. There I said it.

/therapy session

Nice one. Makes me want to reread The Phantom Tollbooth. I know all my friends and family would love to go back in time and stop me from ever reading the book that began my lifelong obsession with puns.

sreichel

Postby sreichel » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
sreichel wrote:

/therapy session

Nice one. Makes me want to reread The Phantom Tollbooth. I know all my friends and family would love to go back in time and stop me from ever reading the book that began my lifelong obsession with puns.

You must be to puns what I am to analogies.

Oh snap, did it again :wink:

gsat

Postby gsat » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:39 am

Any movement to report this morning? Still in review 6/14...

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 am

gsat wrote:Any movement to report this morning? Still in review 6/14...

+1. Not doing the sit at the computer and watch my email thing today though. Think I'll go get a burrito and buy a book. Will check in ~230.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”