Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CornellLawOrBust
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Bust-do you mean to say that we shouldn't necessarily trust the status checker? I know uc Davis is also behind and they've basically admitted that they have a significant delay in application activity and updating the status checker.


THEN WHY CAN'T CORNELL ADMIT THIS OR JUST TELL US OVER THE PHONE WHEN WE CALL! I NEED TO MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE!!!

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:00 pm

I was accepted about a week or two before the deposit deadline, never sent in the deposit. Hope a fellow splitter can take my place. Good luck.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Mike12188 wrote:I was accepted about a week or two before the deposit deadline, never sent in the deposit. Hope a fellow splitter can take my place. Good luck.


What do you have against us non splitters :(

CornellLawOrBust
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:07 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:I was accepted about a week or two before the deposit deadline, never sent in the deposit. Hope a fellow splitter can take my place. Good luck.


What do you have against us non splitters :(


Yeah, I don't understand this. Shouldn't the splitters have to wait?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:08 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:I was accepted about a week or two before the deposit deadline, never sent in the deposit. Hope a fellow splitter can take my place. Good luck.


What do you have against us non splitters :(


Yeah, I don't understand this. Shouldn't the splitters have to wait?


Huh?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:10 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:I was accepted about a week or two before the deposit deadline, never sent in the deposit. Hope a fellow splitter TLSer can take my place. Good luck.


What do you have against us non splitters :(


you guys worked too hard freshman/soph year. :lol:

Fixed it though.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Mike12188 wrote:you guys worked too hard freshman/soph year. :lol:

Fixed it though.


Since you're a splitter, if they need to fill your spot they are going to take a splitter.

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 pm

bk1 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:you guys worked too hard freshman/soph year. :lol:

Fixed it though.


Since you're a splitter, if they need to fill your spot they are going to take a splitter.


Thats what I figured, wasn't sure though.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:13 pm

I don't know that it necessarily works that way. Given that the deposit deadline has passed, they might be more discriminating in terms of numbers, depending on who's deposited, but one just has no way of knowing

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:you guys worked too hard freshman/soph year. :lol:

Fixed it though.


Since you're a splitter, if they need to fill your spot they are going to take a splitter.


Thats what I figured, wasn't sure though.


Screw that -- I'll up their GPA median and maintain their LSAT. Pick me!!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I don't know that it necessarily works that way. Given that the deposit deadline has passed, they might be more discriminating in terms of numbers, depending on who's deposited, but one just has no way of knowing


Well I don't mean that they're going to take a huge splitter, but that if they thought a person with above median LSAT, below median GPA was going to attend and didn't, they are going to replace that person with someone of the same stripe. Maybe that means they'll take a 170/3.6, maybe that means they'll take a 173/3.1.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I don't know that it necessarily works that way. Given that the deposit deadline has passed, they might be more discriminating in terms of numbers, depending on who's deposited, but one just has no way of knowing


Well I don't mean that they're going to take a huge splitter, but that if they thought a person with above median LSAT, below median GPA was going to attend and didn't, they are going to replace that person with someone of the same stripe. Maybe that means they'll take a 170/3.6, maybe that means they'll take a 173/3.1.


Anyone else noticed that Cornell's median and 75th LSAT is the same?

msridiculous447
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:59 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

IR 4/20...third-ish update?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Mike12188 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm a 171/3.3, I was deferred from EA and accepted maybe 3 weeks ago. I would assume this means they are trying to up their median LSAT.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 pm

As to those who don't believe in the power of a Jan. app to hurt your app I suggest you visit this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=153787

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:22 pm

They admit, like most schools in their range, somewhere around 4-5 times as many people as they expect to matriculated, depending on the year. Maybe they'll look at who deposited and determine that they have enough high LSATs. Even if they want higher LSATs maybe they determined that a nonsplitter has a sufficient LSAT. Who knows. If they wanted only 200 people and admitted as much, I'd expect that, but I imagine that they've let in much more than just Michael Scott. I think it will depend on who deposited, I don't think you can necessarily draw conclusions from a single withdrawal. I hate to nitpick, but I don't want all the type a's to think OH NO I WON'T GET THAT SPOT BECAUSE I'M NOT A SPLITTER, *hyperventilate/collapse*

Anyway, I can forgive them this week for being slow. For people who had their deposit letters postmarked on the absolute deadline, the last of those deposits should be coming in tomorrow or Friday at the latest if they haven't already. It would be illogical to continue making admissions decisions and speculating on how the class will turn out when they can process that information and use it to make the rest of their decisions. Next week I hope there is a lot more movement. 

CornellLawOrBust
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 pm

I'll up both their medians! Take me!!!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:26 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Anyone else noticed that Cornell's median and 75th LSAT is the same?


This is what happens when schools take lots of splitters and reverse splitters to drag the median close to the 75th.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:Anyone else noticed that Cornell's median and 75th LSAT is the same?


This is what happens when schools take lots of splitters and reverse splitters to drag the median close to the 75th.


I have to argue against this. I've probably studied Cornell LSN graphs more than anybody here. They don't really like reverse splitters or splitters. They seem to like well rounded applicants who have a high yield rate for them.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

FiveSermon, I feel for the guy, but I downright refuse to draw conclusions from a single persons cycle. It's amazing that they didn't get into a single non HYSCCN school, but one just doesn't know. Many applicants with solid numbers defy law school predictor and the like. He didn't get in to where you would expect, but a single person is not a trend, and there are always outliers. I would say maybe they had miserable recs and a lacking resume, but I'm not going to push it. Harrowing to say the least, but far from definitive.

Anyway, no use in fretting over it this late in the game. If one feels as though the timing of their application detrimented them, the constructive thing to do would be reapply, not worry about it when it is out of their control. If I reapply I'll definitely submit by the end of November.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

FiveSermon wrote:I have to argue against this. I've probably studied Cornell LSN graphs more than anybody here. They don't really like reverse splitters or splitters. They seem to like well rounded applicants who have a high yield rate for them.


Maybe it isn't true of Cornell in particular but that was my feeling for schools in general.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:I have to argue against this. I've probably studied Cornell LSN graphs more than anybody here. They don't really like reverse splitters or splitters. They seem to like well rounded applicants who have a high yield rate for them.


Maybe it isn't true of Cornell in particular but that was my feeling for schools in general.


I have to argue against this again. Schools that seem to like splitters/reverse splitters (UVA comes to mind) seem to have a bigger difference between their 25th-median-75th.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Naked Dude wrote:They admit, like most schools in their range, somewhere around 4-5 times as many people as they expect to matriculated, depending on the year. Maybe they'll look at who deposited and determine that they have enough high LSATs. Even if they want higher LSATs maybe they determined that a nonsplitter has a sufficient LSAT. Who knows. If they wanted only 200 people and admitted as much, I'd expect that, but I imagine that they've let in much more than just Michael Scott. I think it will depend on who deposited, I don't think you can necessarily draw conclusions from a single withdrawal.


This.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18419
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:33 pm

FiveSermon wrote:I have to argue against this again. Schools that seem to like splitters/reverse splitters (UVA comes to mind) seem to have a bigger difference between their 25th-median-75th.


Yes they create a larger 25-75 range but my point is that the median falls closer to the 75 than it does to the 25.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Normally I'm a stats geek but this is just too personal...hooray for the brave applicants willing to disseminate this information.

Not being sarcastic by the way.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”