Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cucullu

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby cucullu » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:36 pm

gonediving128 wrote:Oh cornell, I give up on you. Still not even in review yet. Hate to withdraw before my application's even been looked at but I'm ready to move on.. Hope my withdrawal frees up some time for another untouched application out there..

Did the same thing.

protein

Postby protein » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

LPSDBX wrote:Since I've been waiting on Cornell for so long, I went and dug up Nightrunner's letter to the Admissions Office from last year's thread. And now, for your reading pleasure:

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

solid message

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:49 pm

protein wrote:
LPSDBX wrote:Since I've been waiting on Cornell for so long, I went and dug up Nightrunner's letter to the Admissions Office from last year's thread. And now, for your reading pleasure:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

solid message

x2, fantastic read

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

X1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:55 pm

I really want to know WHEN they are going to tell me what their decision is. It's been 24 hours since I called. How long does it take to send out an email for Christ's sake? This is beyond ridiculous; it's also inconsiderate.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:I really want to know WHEN they are going to tell me what their decision is. It's been 24 hours since I called. How long does it take to send out an email for Christ's sake? This is beyond ridiculous; it's also inconsiderate.

Call again. Call again. Call again.

No wait don't. But that's how I'm feeling atm.

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Dear Cornell:

I'm ready and willing to take you over NYU. However, you're REALLY starting to piss me off and make me think you're incompetent. If you can't send out an email or even figure out who you want in your class, then how am I suppose to expect you to deliver me a first rate legal education?

Sincerely,

Pissed off 0L

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:Dear Cornell:

I'm ready and willing to take you over NYU. However, you're REALLY starting to piss me off and make me think you're incompetent. If you can't send out an email or even figure out who you want in your class, then how am I suppose to expect you to deliver me a first rate legal education?

Sincerely,

Pissed off 0L

Did you call again? I called last week but I'm tempted to call again. Maybe they will tell me my decision over the phone if I ask (if they have already made a decision).

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:04 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
CornellLawOrBust wrote:Dear Cornell:

Sincerely,

Pissed off 0L

Did you call again? I called last week but I'm tempted to call again. Maybe they will tell me my decision over the phone if I ask (if they have already made a decision).

I just called yesterday -- I don't want to call again so soon. But if I don't get my email or status update by Thursday, then I'm calling. I just assumed after talking to them yesterday, that I would get an email and status update rather shortly. I mean how cruel is it to tell someone a decision has been made and then not tell them what it is? And honestly, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEND OUT A GODDAMN EMAIL, CORNELL?!?!?!?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm convinced that if they improved their admissions process they'd have medians that actually resemble those of a T14.. at the same time I hope the wait forces all of you to withdraw so my below median LSAT and average GPA are something they need just to fill out the class

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:I'm convinced that if they improved their admissions process they'd have medians that actually resemble those of a T14.. at the same time I hope the wait forces all of you to withdraw so my below median LSAT and average GPA are something they need just to fill out the class

I'm sure they accepted enough people to fill out their classes already. It's April mang -- we are just the reserves to the reserves.

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:I'm convinced that if they improved their admissions process they'd have medians that actually resemble those of a T14.. at the same time I hope the wait forces all of you to withdraw so my below median LSAT and average GPA are something they need just to fill out the class

I'm taking my T14 numbers to NYU if they don't get back to me by the 2012 elections.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:14 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:

I'm taking my T14 numbers to NYU if they don't get back to me by the 2012 elections.

If I were you I'd have already withdrawn from Cornell with NYU on the table.. God forbid you don't get in and have to attend a T6 with awesome biglaw opportunities and awesome LRAP opportunities yuckkk

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
CornellLawOrBust wrote:

If I were you I'd have already withdrawn from Cornell with NYU on the table.. God forbid you don't get in and have to attend a T6 with awesome biglaw opportunities and awesome LRAP opportunities yuckkk

I hate NYC and am a prestige whore to boot.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
CornellLawOrBust wrote:

You realize NYU has a lot more prestige than Cornell (at least among the legal community).

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:
CornellLawOrBust wrote:

NYU is more prestigious with the legal community.. and Cornell's main market is NYC

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:19 pm

main point is that you have a T6 acceptance.. quit complaining

fivesermon and I really have something to complain about because we aren't T6 worthy

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

You realize NYU has a lot more prestige than Cornell (at least among the legal community).[/quote]

I was somewhat joking about Cornell's Ivy status amonsgt the laymen. I could care less. I just don't like NYC. And I know about Cornell's NYC placement, but I'll be gunning for Philly, Boston or Pittsburgh.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:main point is that you have a T6 acceptance.. quit complaining

fivesermon and I really have something to complain about because we aren't T6 worthy

Hey speak for yourself. I hear being ultimate frisbee captain and having a charming personality should make me a lock for Columbia.

rdavi012

Postby rdavi012 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:07 pm

i finally went complete today..so i guess i'll get my decision in December Yay!!!!....in the meantime while i wait until christmas to hear back from them..i have already put in a deposit elsewhere

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't know what's going on. Are they REALLY behind or are we getting played? I feel as though I applied at a reasonable time and I am still not under review. I get nervous because I think they've filled up their spots by now. If true, I think it's disrespectful to have a filled class without even reviewing applicants who applied on time. But I just don't know. Maybe they are just really slow.

Or maybe not. Maybe we really are just reserves. I like to think that a school like this would never lead applicants on, but if they never had any intention of letting me in it's disrespectful to lead people on until almost the end of April. I sincerely hope that they really are behind, because the alternative is unethical.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I don't know what's going on. Are they REALLY behind or are we getting played? I feel as though I applied at a reasonable time and I am still not under review. I get nervous because I think they've filled up their spots by now. If true, I think it's disrespectful to have a filled class without even reviewing applicants who applied on time. But I just don't know. Maybe they are just really slow.

Or maybe not. Maybe we really are just reserves. I like to think that a school like this would never lead applicants on, but if they never had any intention of letting me in it's disrespectful to lead people on until almost the end of April. I sincerely hope that they really are behind, because the alternative is unethical.

I've been studying LSN closely. It seems Mid/late April admits weren't uncommon. Last cycle though some of the stronger applicants who got waitlisted (170+/3.7+) were more disproportionately in the April/May decision finalized group. We may be fucked friends.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I don't know what's going on. Are they REALLY behind or are we getting played? I feel as though I applied at a reasonable time and I am still not under review. I get nervous because I think they've filled up their spots by now. If true, I think it's disrespectful to have a filled class without even reviewing applicants who applied on time. But I just don't know. Maybe they are just really slow.

I've been studying LSN closely. It seems Mid/late April admits weren't uncommon. Last cycle though some of the stronger applicants who got waitlisted (170+/3.7+) were more disproportionately in the April/May decision finalized group. We may be fucked friends.

Thankfully I'm not that strong an applicant :|

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:41 pm

I mean I have a friend who got into Harvard months ago and is still waiting on here...some people should be waitlisted...

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I am only staying in this now to see how long it takes for them to reach a final decision/PUT MY APPLICATION UNDER REVIEW...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”