Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aaaaaah

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:56 pm

mths wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:I've been complete for six weeks and still have not gone under review. I'm officially sick of Cornell. Whatever their issue is, there's really no excuse for their insanely slow pace. Every other law school in the country can handle their admissions process without such a signficant percentage of applicants having to wait this late in the cycle. Seriously, is the rest of the school run this poorly?

:lol:

serious?

No. I'm clearly overreacting because I'm sick of this goddamn process and would like to finish my cycle.
Last edited by aaaaaah on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:00 pm

aaaaaah wrote:Not entirely. I'm clearly overreacting because I'm sick of this goddamn process and would like to finish my cycle. That said, I do wonder if other administrative tasks are held up because no one knows how to fix the printer.

rest assured, being in law school is a million times worse than taking an LSAT and going through an admissions process

Also, considering the huge increase in applications (not from last year but in general) and the very small class size, Cornell is probably doing all it can.

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:14 pm

mths wrote:Also, considering the huge increase in applications (not from last year but in general) and the very small class size, Cornell is probably doing all it can.

Were they this slow last year?

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 pm

I've been UR since 4/6...

mths

Postby mths » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:19 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
mths wrote:Also, considering the huge increase in applications (not from last year but in general) and the very small class size, Cornell is probably doing all it can.

yes

when did you apply?

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:30 pm

I called today because I had been under review since April 6th. They said that a decision had been made on my file and that I should receive an email and status checker update sometime this week!!! Why not just email me today and update my status checker!!! Why does it take so LLLOOOONNNGGGGG!!!!! :evil:

They didn't tell me what the decision was -- though I didn't ask. I'm hoping the fact that they didn't tell me wasn't a bad thing. I mean, wouldn't they maybe tell me I was in, because why not?

aaaaaah

Postby aaaaaah » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:34 pm

mths wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:

yes

when did you apply?

Early Jan. I know that's late, but every other school gave me a decision before 4/15 deposit deadlines. I just don't understand why Cornell didn't hire additional staff or somehow alter their admissions process if they got hit in a similar way last year. It just boggles my mind that it takes them more than a month to determine if an application is complete.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

mths wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:Not entirely. I'm clearly overreacting because I'm sick of this goddamn process and would like to finish my cycle. That said, I do wonder if other administrative tasks are held up because no one knows how to fix the printer.

rest assured, being in law school is a million times worse than taking an LSAT and going through an admissions process

Also, considering the huge increase in applications (not from last year but in general) and the very small class size, Cornell is probably doing all it can.

I can understand last year but shouldn't they be more prepared this time around? A sudden 50% increase in apps is certainly a justifiable excuse for being so slow with their process but this year around apps actually dropped 10%. They should have been ready.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

CornellLawOrBust wrote:I called today because I had been under review since April 6th. They said that a decision had been made on my file and that I should receive an email and status checker update sometime this week!!! Why not just email me today and update my status checker!!! Why does it take so LLLOOOONNNGGGGG!!!!! :evil:

They didn't tell me what the decision was -- though I didn't ask. I'm hoping the fact that they didn't tell me wasn't a bad thing. I mean, wouldn't they maybe tell me I was in, because why not?

You should have asked. That's the most bizarre response ever.

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:43 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
CornellLawOrBust wrote:I called today because I had been under review since April 6th. They said that a decision had been made on my file and that I should receive an email and status checker update sometime this week!!! Why not just email me today and update my status checker!!! Why does it take so LLLOOOONNNGGGGG!!!!! :evil:

I wouldn't expect anything else from Cornell at this point. Anyway, NYU wanted me, but I would seriously take Cornell over them -- so hopefully Cornell wants me!

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

aaaaaah wrote:
mths wrote:
aaaaaah wrote:

yes

when did you apply?

Early Jan. I know that's late, but every other school gave me a decision before 4/15 deposit deadlines. I just don't understand why Cornell didn't hire additional staff or somehow alter their admissions process if they got hit in a similar way last year. It just boggles my mind that it takes them more than a month to determine if an application is complete.

I'm biased because I applied at the same time, but that's not late. It's not early, but I think more towards February is hopelessly late. Plenty of people apply early January and do fine.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:39 pm

I'd say anytime in January is late. I applied late December and I think that's pretty late.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 pm

When I say late I don't refer to chronological place in the cycle but whether it hurts you. In my experience, applying late December or early January is not really detrimental to one's application. If I had applied in November I don't think my chances would have been higher. I'm not an auto admit so I would have been held until later in the cycle anyway.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Naked Dude wrote:When I say late I don't refer to chronological place in the cycle but whether it hurts you. In my experience, applying late December or early January is not really detrimental to one's application. If I had applied in November I don't think my chances would have been higher. I'm not an auto admit so I would have been held until later in the cycle anyway.

I've seen plenty of people get waitlisted at places they should have gone into because of a January app. I can't say specifically about Cornell but at schools like BU/BC/Fordham there are waitlists with numbers that would have gotten them in before.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 pm

It's possible, but I've seen people who applied early get waitlisted at places they should've gotten into. It certainly doesn't help, i'm sure, but I'm still not convinced that an early January submission is detrimental. And I think you have to take your observation of other schools at a discount when you examine Cornell, which seems to be a few weeks behind (at least) other schools. In another two weeks I'll give up hope at Cornell, but now. Counter anecdote--I went complete at BU on January 14 and was admitted less than a month later, and I was far from an auto-admit. But I shall stop trying to crack the blak box-it droves you crazy.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeesh. I'm on my phone in the library-forgive the awful spelling.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 am

Here's to hoping we hear back today (unlikely)!

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 am

Re: January submission

There could also be an element of selection bias. People who apply in January or later may very well fare worse simply because their apps tend to be weaker. It wouldn't be all that surprising for someone who waited to do their apps to have a weaker PS or whatever.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:41 am

OHHHH SHHHH***TTT I just checked my application is complete! lol maybe I will hear something by the 4th of July, what's the over/under? I submitted early Feb after the deadline via last min waiver

CornellLawOrBust

Postby CornellLawOrBust » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:10 am

FiveSermon wrote:

Still no email or status update. I mean seriously, what the hell is their problem? How long does it take to notify students AFTER they've made a decision? All it takes is a friggin' email!!! Their incompetence scares me at this point. Maybe it's just time to accept going somewhere else and eo move on.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:07 am

It seems most decisions are emailed between 11:30-2.

But I seriously doubt us 4/6'ers will hear back today. Took me 2 months to go complete...a month after that to go under review...I'm expecting a long long wait...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:32 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:Re: January submission

There could also be an element of selection bias. People who apply in January or later may very well fare worse simply because their apps tend to be weaker. It wouldn't be all that surprising for someone who waited to do their apps to have a weaker PS or whatever.

I seriously doubt it.

gonediving128

Postby gonediving128 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh cornell, I give up on you. Still not even in review yet. Hate to withdraw before my application's even been looked at but I'm ready to move on.. Hope my withdrawal frees up some time for another untouched application out there..

LPSDBX

Postby LPSDBX » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Since I've been waiting on Cornell for so long, I went and dug up Nightrunner's letter to the Admissions Office from last year's thread. And now, for your reading pleasure:

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:34 pm

LPSDBX wrote:Since I've been waiting on Cornell for so long, I went and dug up Nightrunner's letter to the Admissions Office from last year's thread. And now, for your reading pleasure:

To the Cornell Admissions Office:

It has been 158 days since you received my application, 91 days since you told me I was "complete," and more than 30 days since one of your admissions officers interviewed me. Deposit deadlines for nearly every other law school in the nation have come and gone, and yet you have not given me a decision. When I call and ask you why, I am told that you "are taking your time with each applicant."

Here's the problem: there is absolutely no chance that you have gathered any more information about me in the past 30 days. Zero chance. I am who I was when you interviewed me.

The truth, if we care to admit it, is that you are waiting to see what the median numbers of your deposited students look like, and utilizing regular-decision applicants as if we were on a reserve list. I can understand this - the nature of the rankings game requires rational actors to try to be ranked as highly as possible - but the blatant dishonesty with which you go about it is unnerving, and does not speak well of the "best sense" slogan of Cornell. If you are using us as 'reserve' students, then put us on reserve. If you are waiting to see how the class medians bear out before adding new students, then don't tell me you are somehow giving my application further consideration: it has been 158 days - my personal statement is the same as it was half a year ago.

I hope that my thoughts do not offend, but perhaps you could bear in mind that we are not just streaming data columns of grade-point-averages and LSAT scores, or even just applicants: we are people. Real, living people with families, jobs, deadlines, and problems; we are real people whose lives are greatly influenced by your actions. Some of our parents would like to know what time zone we will be in next year. In my case, my parents are desperate to discover how long of a drive it will be for them to visit their grandson.

Despite the fact that I would greatly enjoy attending Cornell, I must respectfully request that you withdraw my application for the entering J.D. class. I am a real person with a real life, and this life requires making plans. I must move forward, sooner or later, and your timetable apparently has no regard for this fact.

I wish you the best of luck with the incoming class.

Yours,

********** (Nightrunner)

I honestly do not get why they don't just waitlist us because that's what it seems like at this point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”