Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
may

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby may » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Just received an admit email! My last update was 4/11, I think I went complete on 3/2 and had at least 5 review dates along the way.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:45 pm

4/07 last review date still no word.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:47 pm

jrose5 wrote:4/07 last review date still no word.

Ugh. When will they get to us. I'm still not getting a decision even though I was complete before some of these people.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Despite withdrawing weeks ago, i just got an email saying that my application is "complete", I guess not.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Apparently they were just waiting for you to withdraw. :D

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

World's weirdest YP policy or world's most ingenious one?

patallica22

Postby patallica22 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:18 pm

FiveSermon wrote:World's weirdest YP policy or world's most ingenious one?

I don't know man, but I my gut leads me to believe that folks who are still waiting are on reserve, but aren't told they're on reserve at this point because Cornell wants to assess how big a reserve list they'll need to utilize in light of the first wave of potential withdrawals this Friday(which is one of the first goalposts for seat deposits at most schools).

I hope that response was convoluted, aka "ingenious", as Cornell's admissions process seems to be,....

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:19 pm

patallica22 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:World's weirdest YP policy or world's most ingenious one?

I don't know man, but I my gut leads me to believe that folks who are still waiting are on reserve, but aren't told they're on reserve at this point because Cornell wants to assess how big a reserve list they'll need to utilize in light of the first wave of potential withdrawals this Friday(which is one of the first goalposts for seat deposits at most schools).

I hope that response was convoluted, aka "ingenious", as Cornell's admissions process seems to be,....

This may very well be true. Hopefully then I will hear from Cornell this friday.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 pm

May have been YP or whatever, but I withdrew because I felt that taking 12 weeks to "process" an application was disrespectful to applicants. I am from NY so this school was a real possibility to me. This was my feeling minutes after withdrawing.

"I am sure that Cornell will have no trouble filling their class with amazing applicants. But I am withdrawing my application. I am from New York so staying closer to home was a bonus for me. But I got a full ride at Northwestern today (which is probably a better fir for me) and still have my application "processing" at Cornell after months and months. My understanding is that "processing" means that not only is my application not being reviewed but that it is not even ready for review. They have an April 15th deposit deadline and are still processing my application? I am not trying to be petty but it is just disappointing that the Cornell admissions process is so slow, and arguably incompetent.

I am not so disillusion so as to think that my withdrawing will have any effect on Cornell at all, but this was the only place that I could really vent. Best of luck to those still waiting, I hope it works out for all of you."

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:Called admissions this morning, UR 4/6 can expect a decision in one week.

This is seeming unlikelier by the minute.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

BrightLine wrote:May have been YP or whatever, but I withdrew because I felt that taking 12 weeks to "process" an application was disrespectful to applicants. I am from NY so this school was a real possibility to me. This was my feeling minutes after withdrawing.

"I am sure that Cornell will have no trouble filling their class with amazing applicants. But I am withdrawing my application. I am from New York so staying closer to home was a bonus for me. But I got a full ride at Northwestern today (which is probably a better fir for me) and still have my application "processing" at Cornell after months and months. My understanding is that "processing" means that not only is my application not being reviewed but that it is not even ready for review. They have an April 15th deposit deadline and are still processing my application? I am not trying to be petty but it is just disappointing that the Cornell admissions process is so slow, and arguably incompetent.

I am not so disillusion so as to think that my withdrawing will have any effect on Cornell at all, but this was the only place that I could really vent. Best of luck to those still waiting, I hope it works out for all of you."

Despite being mind boggling slow, the admissions office staff are actually pretty nice. Did you try calling and explaining to them that you are still processing and you have a deadline? You may have seen movement.

pandabear00

Postby pandabear00 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I spoke with admissions today and they said that they hoped to have decisions made by the end of April. I am assuming it is partly due to the fact that most law schools require a deposit tomorrow. I am anxiously awaiting a reponse ...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
BrightLine wrote:May have been YP or whatever, but I withdrew because I felt that taking 12 weeks to "process" an application was disrespectful to applicants. I am from NY so this school was a real possibility to me. This was my feeling minutes after withdrawing.

Despite being mind boggling slow, the admissions office staff are actually pretty nice. Did you try calling and explaining to them that you are still processing and you have a deadline? You may have seen movement.

I don't think that speeds up the process. If so everyone would be doing it.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:45 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

I got movement the day I called with a question. It might have been purely coincidental, but literally, I had nothing happen between 11/26 when I submitted until 2/3 when I went complete. I called with a question on 2/17 and went into review that day.

Anyway, to those who withdrew: Did you mail in your withdrawal or email it? If you emailed it, to what address? I'd like to email it instead of mailing it just because I'm remembering to withdraw now and have access to my computer and not the post office.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 pm

subtle wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:

I got movement the day I called with a question. It might have been purely coincidental, but literally, I had nothing happen between 11/26 when I submitted until 2/3 when I went complete. I called with a question on 2/17 and went into review that day.

Anyway, to those who withdrew: Did you mail in your withdrawal or email it? If you emailed it, to what address? I'd like to email it instead of mailing it just because I'm remembering to withdraw now and have access to my computer and not the post office.

Could you tell me what number you called? I may call today or tomorrow if there's no decision by then.

subtle

Postby subtle » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

(607) 255-5141. Good luck! They didn't answer when I called, but a very nice lady called me back less than 30 minutes later.

jakersatcal

Postby jakersatcal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 pm

I thought we 4/06 ers were going to hear something by yesterday? I got accepted to Columbia Wednesday, but I still have a cozy feeling about Cornell. I wish they would let us know soon...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:54 pm

jakersatcal wrote:I thought we 4/06 ers were going to hear something by yesterday? I got accepted to Columbia Wednesday, but I still have a cozy feeling about Cornell. I wish they would let us know soon...

I've been glued to my email/status checker for a while =/

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
jakersatcal wrote:I thought we 4/06 ers were going to hear something by yesterday? I got accepted to Columbia Wednesday, but I still have a cozy feeling about Cornell. I wish they would let us know soon...

Good Luck they can't be that cruel :?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Good Luck they can't be that cruel :?

Hey! Did you hear back from Fordham?

pandabear00

Postby pandabear00 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:05 pm

In all seriousness, how much weight do you all place on the status checker?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 pm

pandabear00 wrote:In all seriousness, how much weight do you all place on the status checker?

What do you mean? It's the only way we find out about their decision (other than email).

pandabear00

Postby pandabear00 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I just mean in regards to the dates listed ... how reasonable is it that they update that regularly? I ask because I have somewhat extenuating circumstances in regards to my application in which I had to fax them something today in order for the application to be thoroughly complete. I am assuming that they barely reviewed my file before today because of that. Point is, the status checker still says 3/24 so they clearly did not update it today ... does that mean they have yet to relook at my app or ..?

jjlew111

Postby jjlew111 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Here's some info for you EA/Deferred people. I applied EA last year to Cornell and I was deferred to regular decision. I waited for long haul--until I got the letter that said, "Hey, you still exist! What about that? Yeah, we decided not to take you." Not sure when I received it--but it wasn't until late July at the earliest. I suspect it was mid-August, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

But here's the thing--despite having a few offers at other schools that were tempting, I thought I would best be served just to wait another year and keep doing what I'm doing, working and putting away a bit in savings. (That's one of the reasons I was able to wait until the very end for Cornell--after all, I didn't have to plan for other schools, etc.) My stats last year were 167/3.49, non-URM. (For what it's worth, I had almost a 4.0 during my junior and senior years, and I also have a graduate degree...again, for whatever that's worth in the admissions game.) Over the summer, I raised my LSAT to 169. I applied again to Cornell EA. I was once again deferred to regular decision. However, this time? This time I was admitted in mid-February. The only explanation I have for it is a combination of the higher (yet now above-average) LSAT and what the Admissions Office must see as my desire and willingness to go to the school, and that probably went into their YP number crunching. Or who really knows what.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

jjlew111 wrote:Here's some info for you EA/Deferred people. I applied EA last year to Cornell and I was deferred to regular decision. I waited for long haul--until I got the letter that said, "Hey, you still exist! What about that? Yeah, we decided not to take you." Not sure when I received it--but it wasn't until late July at the earliest. I suspect it was mid-August, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

But here's the thing--despite having a few offers at other schools that were tempting, I thought I would best be served just to wait another year and keep doing what I'm doing, working and putting away a bit in savings. (That's one of the reasons I was able to wait until the very end for Cornell--after all, I didn't have to plan for other schools, etc.) My stats last year were 167/3.49, non-URM. (For what it's worth, I had almost a 4.0 during my junior and senior years, and I also have a graduate degree...again, for whatever that's worth in the admissions game.) Over the summer, I raised my LSAT to 169. I applied again to Cornell EA. I was once again deferred to regular decision. However, this time? This time I was admitted in mid-February. The only explanation I have for it is a combination of the higher (yet now above-average) LSAT and what the Admissions Office must see as my desire and willingness to go to the school, and that probably went into their YP number crunching. Or who really knows what.

Will you be attending?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”