Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MillerTime

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby MillerTime » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:Have all the deferred applicants on TT whose status checkers updated this week been put on reserve?

Deferred back in November. Updated 3/21 and 3/22, haven't heard a final decision yet.

Same here.

jakersatcal

Postby jakersatcal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

akili wrote:
jakersatcal wrote:Finally! My application is in review as of today :-)

Do they email you to tell you? Or do you have to look on the status checker?

I just checked the status checker, but the last time my status changed (from processing to complete) I got an email. Who knows? Maybe an email is on its way...

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 pm

OMG UNDER REVIEW!!!

How many under review dates do people usually get?

rockies2

Postby rockies2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:23 pm

No email, just status checker

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:OMG UNDER REVIEW!!!

Most people: 3. I had five.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm

neonx wrote:

How long did it take since your first IR date till your decision?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
neonx wrote:

mine was a month. I went IR 1 day after I went complete though.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
neonx wrote:

Was it for EA? If so I guess it doesn't apply to me :(

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Was it for EA? If so I guess it doesn't apply to me :(

No.. 1/25-->2/22

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:21 am

Just wanted to say that I'm not applying until next year...but after monitoring this thread, you guys are stressing me out.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

Ginj wrote:Just wanted to say that I'm not applying until next year...but after monitoring this thread, you guys are stressing me out.

Pro tip: Don't apply EA, but apply early. It seems nearly every EA gets deferred (and then you have to wait a long time). I applied I think November, took December LSAT, and got a decision late February.

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:52 am

PinkCow wrote:
Ginj wrote:Just wanted to say that I'm not applying until next year...but after monitoring this thread, you guys are stressing me out.

Pro tip: Don't apply EA, but apply early. It seems nearly every EA gets deferred (and then you have to wait a long time). I applied I think November, took December LSAT, and got a decision late February.

Another tip: if you get an interview request, brace yourself for some hardcore prying.

illwill

Postby illwill » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 pm

neonx wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Another tip: if you get an interview request, brace yourself for some hardcore prying.

Prying as in will you attend Cornell for sure or just generally about your interest in Cornell, why law, etc.?

neonx

Postby neonx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:10 pm

illwill wrote:
neonx wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Prying as in will you attend Cornell for sure or just generally about your interest in Cornell, why law, etc.?

The former.

emjay

Postby emjay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but should I send Cornell a LOCI since it's my top choice and over four months have passed since I submitted my app? I've been complete since 3/6 and didn't submit a 'Why Cornell' essay because I didn't realize I could and feel that a LOCI would be a good supplement to my app and remind them that I'm still alive. Anyone tried this?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 pm

emjay wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but should I send Cornell a LOCI since it's my top choice and over four months have passed since I submitted my app? I've been complete since 3/6 and didn't submit a 'Why Cornell' essay because I didn't realize I could and feel that a LOCI would be a good supplement to my app and remind them that I'm still alive. Anyone tried this?

Yes. Do this yesterday.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 pm

PinkCow wrote:

Are you sure that's a pro tip? I applied EA and got in... which made for a LOT less waiting. Definitely worth it if you get in EA. For what it's worth, I wrote a pretty convincing "Why Cornell" and I also had numbers typical of people who actually end up going. I think if you have higher numbers (170+ / really high GPA ) they expect that you might go somewhere else and end up deferring you---in that case it might not be worth it. I think anyone with a 167, 168, or 169 and 3.6-3.9 gpa should apply EA. It looks like those are the type of people who got in EA. Just my thoughts. Maybe I'm completely wrong. (If anything, write a "Why Cornell"!)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Pro tip: Don't apply EA, but apply early. It seems nearly every EA gets deferred (and then you have to wait a long time). I applied I think November, took December LSAT, and got a decision late February.

Are you sure that's a pro tip? I applied EA and got in... which made for a LOT less waiting. Definitely worth it if you get in EA.

Plus you have a much better chance at getting one of those big scholarship invites.

emjay wrote:I've been complete since 3/6 and didn't submit a 'Why Cornell' essay because I didn't realize I could

The "Why Cornell" was built into the app IIRC. Just look on their site about what they say about additional materials.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:01 pm

For the record, my interview was not an overly-intense-YP-investigation. I was asked "Why Law," "Why Cornell," and a bnc of other general questions as well as questions regarding my resume. But I wasn't put on the spot and asked whether I would come, how interested I am, etc.

Flett

Postby Flett » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Are you sure that's a pro tip? I applied EA and got in... which made for a LOT less waiting. Definitely worth it if you get in EA. For what it's worth, I wrote a pretty convincing "Why Cornell" and I also had numbers typical of people who actually end up going. I think if you have higher numbers (170+ / really high GPA ) they expect that you might go somewhere else and end up deferring you---in that case it might not be worth it. I think anyone with a 167, 168, or 169 and 3.6-3.9 gpa should apply EA. It looks like those are the type of people who got in EA. Just my thoughts. Maybe I'm completely wrong. (If anything, write a "Why Cornell"!)

I also applied EA and got in. TBH, I doubt I would have been accepted if I hadn't applied EA. There are other Native and URM candidates, with much better numbers, who are still waiting to hear back at this point.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Looks like scholarships started coming out yesterday. Anyone here gotten one yet? If so, email or USPS?

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:19 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:Looks like scholarships started coming out yesterday. Anyone here gotten one yet? If so, email or
USPS?

On of the people on LSN said snail mail.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:21 pm

Flett wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I also applied EA and got in. TBH, I doubt I would have been accepted if I hadn't applied EA. There are other Native and URM candidates, with much better numbers, who are still waiting to hear back at this point.

+1 on this I have quite a bit better LSAT and a much better GPA submitted in December have heard back from multilpe schools and I still haven't heard a peep out of Cornell. I think if I would have applied EA I would be in by now. So if this is a place you want to go and your numbers are in the range of noraml applicants I think EA might be the way to go.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Called financial aid today. They said they started rolling out financial aid decisions a couple days ago. They said mine would be in the mail by the end of today, so I should get it early next week (being in Cali and all)

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:53 pm

people who got aid awards recently - do you have a notation of it on your status checker? I notice it says nothing for me under mailings regarding finaid... :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”