Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rockies2

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby rockies2 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:23 pm

pereira6 wrote:How long is it usually taking for decisions after going complete for all of y'all?

Thanks!

Six...maybe seven months.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 pm

rockies2 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:How long is it usually taking for decisions after going complete for all of y'all?

Thanks!

I am complete something like 9/22 and my last status date was 11/29 because they didn't want to give me a decision EA. (Early Action? Seriously?)

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rockies2 wrote:

Thanks!

I am complete something like 9/22 and my last status date was 11/29 because they didn't want to give me a decision EA. (Early Action? Seriously?)

Let's be realistic. Cornell isn't generous with $ and you wouldn't go without some serious $.

southernsnapp

Postby southernsnapp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 pm

sprewell wrote:
onetime1 wrote:does anyone have two review dates and know what it means? i haven't seen too much about that for cornell and i just noticed that i went from in review 1/25 to in review 2/9...

i can't say i know, but this happened to me as well

On the website it says that apps are reviewed by 2 people. Maybe the second date is when it went to the second reviewer?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:17 pm

rockies2 wrote:

Thanks!

This would be insane. I still haven't gone complete after having submitted mid/late December. 6 months from now would make me cry.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Let's be realistic. Cornell isn't generous with $ and you wouldn't go without some serious $.

I know, but can't get $ offers unless I get accepted lol

username99

Postby username99 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Does anyone know when those deferred from EA can expect to hear? They say they will consider us after 2/1 but does anyone know when we can expect a decision?

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm

username99 wrote:Does anyone know when those deferred from EA can expect to hear? They say they will consider us after 2/1 but does anyone know when we can expect a decision?

Tbh, I think deferred people will have to wait a while.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Anyone who applied around Mid/Late december still have zero movement on their app? I haven't even had a processing date change yet.

neonx

Postby neonx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

I wonder if Cornell and Emory are employing a yield strategy where they want to wait until half their applicants to withdraw their file before the committee can even hand out decisions . . .

Look alive, Cornell.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:06 pm

I applied early Jan. I really like Cornell, it was my first 'dream school' and I would seriously consider attending....but I can't wait until April to even hear back!

I know people talk about it on about every page in this thread, but WHY does it take so long? Argh.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

akili wrote:I applied early Jan. I really like Cornell, it was my first 'dream school' and I would seriously consider attending....but I can't wait until April to even hear back!

I know people talk about it on about every page in this thread, but WHY does it take so long? Argh.

There has been a few humorous theories being passed around here.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:08 pm

akili wrote:I applied early Jan. I really like Cornell, it was my first 'dream school' and I would seriously consider attending....but I can't wait until April to even hear back!

When is their ASW/ASD? Surely they'd want to admit a big pool of applicants before then......

As a "reserve" candidate, I'm not holding my breath at the small chance that I'll get an acceptance before I've made my final LS plans.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

One of my friends is a 3L on the review board, and he said that they follow the example of the University College of London and Jeremy Bentham. I guess they've got Ezra Cornell in a glass case and he "sits in" one every candidate review. When decisions aren't unanimous, they give Ezra a vote. The problem is, it sometimes takes up to 2 years for him to vote, given that he's dead.

So that might explain some of the wait.

fletchcon

Postby fletchcon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 am

There are definitely going to be some acceptances going out this week, I can just feel it (please let me be one of them!)

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

PinkCow wrote:

One of my friends is a 3L on the review board, and he said that they follow the example of the University College of London and Jeremy Bentham. I guess they've got Ezra Cornell in a glass case and he "sits in" one every candidate review. When decisions aren't unanimous, they give Ezra a vote. The problem is, it sometimes takes up to 2 years for him to vote, given that he's dead.

I loled in a public place. Hahahha. Well done PinkCow.

ukgrad

Postby ukgrad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

akili wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I loled in a public place. Hahahha. Well done PinkCow.

HAHAHA waiting sucks but at least you all are incredibly entertaining!

username99

Postby username99 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 pm

PinkCow wrote:

Ladies and gents, here is the real answer. I have this from a source high in Cornell's admissions department. Believe it. Don't believe it. Not really my concern. It is, however, the truth:

At the beginning of this admissions cycle, Cornell decided to employ Paul the Octopus, of World Cup fame, to help the school judge its applicants. Since Paul correctly picked each World Cup match, the powers that be at Cornell Law figured it would do an equally good job choosing who to select for admission. Due to Paul's untimely death in late October, however, the school has been forced to judge applicants the old fashion way. And since it released most of its staff in anticipation of Paul's arrival, it is now inadequately equipped to handle the load.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

username99 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

Ladies and gents, here is the real answer. I have this from a source high in Cornell's admissions department. Believe it. Don't believe it. Not really my concern. It is, however, the truth:

At the beginning of this admissions cycle, Cornell decided to employ Paul the Octopus, of World Cup fame, to help the school judge its applicants. Since Paul correctly picked each World Cup match, the powers that be at Cornell Law figured it would do an equally good job choosing who to select for admission. Due to Paul's untimely death in late October, however, the school has been forced to judge applicants the old fashion way. And since it released most of its staff in anticipation of Paul's arrival, it is now inadequately equipped to handle the load.

Is Paul processing them too? You would think with 8 arms things would go faster...

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Paul is processing from the graaaaave!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:06 pm

chasgoose wrote:Is Paul processing them too? You would think with 8 arms things would go faster...

i LOLed

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 pm

They definitely need to move on, do the rational thing, and get the sorting hat over here to sort us all out.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:39 pm

I don't know about y'all but Cornell's financial aid application process is UBER cumbersome:

--FAFSA (parents info needed)
--Need Access Form (Student Form + Parent Form)
--Cornell Financial Aid Information Sheet
--Copies of my tax returns
--Copies of my parents tax returns
--Copies of my W-2's
--Copies of my parents W-2's
--And (because my parents own a business) the Business/Fam Supplement Worksheet

Unless you live with your parents and see them everyday, filling out the Need Access & Business Supplement form and getting copies of your parents taxes & W-2's is a big pain in the butt!

It's ok Cornell... I still love you...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

For needaccess: Just give them the password and let them log in and do it. It took me a bit to figure that one out but thankfully I did.

And yah, having to send everything is a pain. I'm seriously hoping Cornell is as/more generous as UCLA was though.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 pm

Dear Cornell,

If you let me in, I promise to pay sticker for shinies.

I would even be willing to pay 50% more shinies than you require!

Please let me in!

love

Francesco Guicciardini

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”