Cornell 2011 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: Cornell 2011 applicants

Postby Knock » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Knock wrote:Just got the early action complete email

Submit date?

10/19?

It was the very last application I sent in I think.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Knock wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Knock wrote:Just got the early action complete email

Submit date?

10/19?

It was the very last application I sent in I think.

Well we're getting closer to my hilariously late date of 10/31. It would have been 29, but I thought I had to get a dean's certification till I actually bothered to read...

Progress!

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Just got my early action application complete email as well. Submitted 10/13.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Kiwi917 wrote:Just got my early action application complete email as well. Submitted 10/13.

I just went complete today (EA) as well! So exciting.... (applied 10/9)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Went complete today as well. Phew. Submitted 10/7.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Not complete yet, but called admissions today and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed that I met the EA deadline for submission so I'm happy. :D

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Not complete yet, but called admissions today and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed that I met the EA deadline for submission so I'm happy. :D

Yea I submitted my cornell application 10/25 and they received my LSDAS report on the 26, but it still says processing...
this better not keep me from being EA
I'd be mad...

what does EA even mean at Cornell. Do we even get any time advantage? I feel like I might as well have applied RD, because it doesn't seem to matter...
thoughts?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Not complete yet, but called admissions today and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed that I met the EA deadline for submission so I'm happy. :D

Yea I submitted my cornell application 10/25 and they received my LSDAS report on the 26, but it still says processing...
I'd be mad...

what does EA even mean at Cornell. Do we even get any time advantage? I feel like I might as well have applied RD, because it doesn't seem to matter...
thoughts?

EA just means you find out by end of December.

There's no advantage. And sometimes it's frustrating since they can just defer you into RD pool.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:40 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
I'd be mad...

thoughts?

Applied mid-October, received the EA Complete e-mail today. My status checker now says at the top:

Your application is ready for review by our Admissions Committee, and because it was complete by our November 15th early action deadline, you will receive a decision of either admit, reserve, or deny by mid to late December.

So EA at Cornell means decision by the end of December. Also, for Cornell they automatically put you in the EA pile if you submit your application before Nov.1st whether you check the box or not.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Mid-Oct you applied? So it's OK that I'm still "processing" I guess, seeing as how I only went LSAC complete after the October score came in (That Saturday, so the 30th).

mths

Postby mths » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm

nihilism is key wrote:So EA at Cornell means decision by the end of December. Also, for Cornell they automatically put you in the EA pile if you submit your application before Nov.1st whether you check the box or not.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but last year virtually all the EA applicants got deferred to the regular applicant pool and got decisions in feb/march...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:34 pm

mths wrote:
nihilism is key wrote:So EA at Cornell means decision by the end of December. Also, for Cornell they automatically put you in the EA pile if you submit your application before Nov.1st whether you check the box or not.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but last year virtually all the EA applicants got deferred to the regular applicant pool and got decisions in feb/march...

Oiy. :cry:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 pm

mths wrote:

Was the EA applicant pool unusually weak?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

mths wrote:

So, they aren't just hilariously slow... they're also disingenuous?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 pm

kk19131 wrote:
mths wrote:

So, they aren't just hilariously slow... they're also disingenuous?

You should totally withdraw. Lawyers who are less than entirely and strictly honest!?

Also it frees up another spot...

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:47 pm

mths wrote:

Be nice to their parade. It will be their last one for a long time.

@2011 People: A good chuck of people were admitted EA.

In regards to the strength of the EA pool, people above, below, and at my numbers were deferred in EA and people above, below, and at my numbers were accepted EA. No real pattern with EA.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:10 pm

CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:

In regards to the strength of the EA pool, people above, below, and at my numbers were deferred in EA and people above, below, and at my numbers were accepted EA. No real pattern with EA.

Your profile made me very optimistic. Then I saw your softs. Then I was substantially less optimistic T_T

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:30 am

mths wrote:

And most of us were deferred again in February and didn't receive final decisions until May/June. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:34 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
mths wrote:

Your profile made me very optimistic. Then I saw your softs. Then I was substantially less optimistic T_T

+1

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:35 am

mths wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade but last year virtually all the EA applicants got deferred to the regular applicant pool and got decisions in feb/march...

Stop posting this bullshit. According to LSN, most people who applied to Cornell EA got their decision in December in every cycle that LSN has decent data for. Unless you have really good evidence for why LSN is an unrepresentative sample, you're incredibly wrong.

In the 2009-2010 cycle, I counted 149 EA applications to Cornell on LSN with decision dates recorded. Of those, I counted 25 that didn't receive their decision in 2009. Now, you could argue that it's self-reported data, that deferred applicants are less likely to record their information, that maybe some people submitted the date when they received a deferral instead of a final decision but didn't mark it as such on LSN, or whatever you want. Hell, I'm sure the deferred minority were very pissed off and posted angrily on TLS about it, so they seemed like more than they were. But there is no reason to say that "virtually all the EA applicants got deferred" when available evidence suggests that a very sizable portion of EA applicants found out their results in December.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:28 am

Bumi wrote:
mths wrote:Not to rain on anyone's parade but last year virtually all the EA applicants got deferred to the regular applicant pool and got decisions in feb/march...

Stop posting this bullshit. According to LSN, most people who applied to Cornell EA got their decision in December in every cycle that LSN has decent data for. Unless you have really good evidence for why LSN is an unrepresentative sample, you're incredibly wrong.

In the 2009-2010 cycle, I counted 149 EA applications to Cornell on LSN with decision dates recorded. Of those, I counted 25 that didn't receive their decision in 2009. Now, you could argue that it's self-reported data, that deferred applicants are less likely to record their information, that maybe some people submitted the date when they received a deferral instead of a final decision but didn't mark it as such on LSN, or whatever you want. Hell, I'm sure the deferred minority were very pissed off and posted angrily on TLS about it, so they seemed like more than they were. But there is no reason to say that "virtually all the EA applicants got deferred" when available evidence suggests that a very sizable portion of EA applicants found out their results in December.

Oh good.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:54 am

Bumi wrote:

:D

mths

Postby mths » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Bumi wrote:

Lol psycho...alright we'll see

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey! I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I wanted to remind everyone to either create or update their LSN/Admissions Dean profiles. It's a little break from checking status checkers obsessively, and it's easier to get all the dates correct now rather than going back at the end and trying to remember. LSN has been such an immense help to me (and I'm sure all of you, as well) so I'd like to make sure we're giving the next cycles our useful information.

Also, if you're concerned about privacy (I am!) you can keep your information private while the cycle is ongoing. I am keeping my profile on "hidden" throughout the cycle but updating it regularly, then once I've made final decisions, I'll open it up.

Anddd, I'm posting this in all the waiting threads, so don't get annoyed if you see it more than once. :D

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:30 pm

I've never understood the worry about privacy thing- who are you worried about seeing what? How can it hurt you?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”