IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crit_racer

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby crit_racer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:45 pm

riverside runs E-W. Pleasant Valley runs S-N.

Riverside is a shit hole. Don't live there.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:50 pm

super6 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:I wouldn't do riverside, honestly. Crime rate is pretty high and I've heard some horror stories from fellow UT undergrads.

Is that the same as pleasant valley? I don't really know regions but they're next to each other on google maps and SpotCrime shows riverside as yellow but pleasant valley as mostly green.

The whole area is kind of sketch, pleasant valley less so. I lived at one of the bigger Riverside complexes on Wickersham last fall and were I to have that choice again I'd have found a place somewhere else. If you're looking at places further out I'd go North or West. I have friends living off jollyville and spicewoid springs and they love it but IMO that's a bit far. Also keep in mind pleasant valley and riverside are not the sort of places you'll want to walk around, whereas Hyde park and north campus you'll be fine. There are generally a lot of walking-distance eateries and bars in that area as well. IMO well worth the negligible increase in rent. At the very least you should probably not live on riverside without a car unless you want to bus everywhere you shop or eat or drink. Hyde park and north campus, not so much.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

I like the cherrywood neighborhood a whole lot. Just East of I-35 off of 38th st. Affordable, close to campus, and within walking distance to a few coffee shops, etc.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm probably doing Far West. Campus shuttles, lot of grad students, and pretty safe.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:56 pm

I was looking at SoCo, Dowtown, or Hyde Park. I'm splitting it with my girlfriend and willing to do like 700-800 a piece (mostly since I had been looking at NYC before and these prices are incredible comparatively). Is SoCo a nice place to live?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 pm

bleedblue wrote:I was looking at SoCo, Dowtown, or Hyde Park. I'm splitting it with my girlfriend and willing to do like 700-800 a piece (mostly since I had been looking at NYC before and these prices are incredible comparatively). Is SoCo a nice place to live?

Depends on the part of soco. If you're close to soco cafe, then hell yeah. Check out camden apartments, it's pretty close to good restaurants over there.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:04 pm

bleedblue wrote:I was looking at SoCo, Dowtown, or Hyde Park. I'm splitting it with my girlfriend and willing to do like 700-800 a piece (mostly since I had been looking at NYC before and these prices are incredible comparatively). Is SoCo a nice place to live?

It'll be a pain in the ass getting to school (especially if you don't have a car and a garage permit at the San Jac garage), but if you're in a nice part of soco it'd probably be a pretty great place to live.

japes

Postby japes » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 pm

In Austin for the weekend. Spent the day fly fishing and drinking at the crown and anchor, a bar near the law school. It's gonna be a good three years.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:24 am

japes wrote:In Austin for the weekend. Spent the day fly fishing and drinking at the crown and anchor, a bar near the law school. It's gonna be a good three years.

Fly fishing? Hrrrrrrrrm?

akili

Postby akili » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 am

I won't be attending UT next year, but today I took my dog on a 3 mile off-leash hike at Emma Long park, ate a sno-cone from Sno-Beach and hung out at Mozart's on the lake for sunset. I will miss Austin like whoa. This time of year is perfection too!

japes

Postby japes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:
japes wrote:In Austin for the weekend. Spent the day fly fishing and drinking at the crown and anchor, a bar near the law school. It's gonna be a good three years.

Fly fishing? Hrrrrrrrrm?

There are, surprisingly, quite a few spots in and around Austin.

mrwarre85

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Hey all, I live in Austin with a 1L at UT currently and have a great house to lease for next year. It is a spacious 3 bedroom/ 2 bath/ 2 car garage house that is less than three miles from the law school. It isn't the closest location obviously, but it is far nicer than anything you are going to find near campus without paying a boatload. This house is currently being renovated, but will have brand new hardwood floors throughout the whole house and new stainless steel appliances in the kitchen. The house has a beautifully manicured backyard with a great pool, three decks, and even a greenhouse (don't worry, the house has automatic sprinklers and the pool has an automatic pump, just need to add pool shock about once a week). The house will come with one large flat screen 42' 1080p flat screen television, as well as some furniture if you want it! There are additional goodies like a state of the art touch screen alarm system that you can operate using your phone (it will even turn on/off your AC!) but I'll leave the rest of the details for when you visit.

I will work with you on price and promise that it is going to be a very good deal. I just want responsible people who will take care of the place. The house is currently appraised at $289,000 so it is a very nice house, and this is going to be a great deal for someone.

If you are right out of college and you want to live on campus maybe this isn't the house for you, but if you are looking to get away from it all and have a nice place to come back to for studying or relaxing, whatever, this could be your place. I worked downtown and made it to the office in 10 or 12 minutes, so it wouldn't be any further than that because we are on the north side of downtown. However, there is a park and ride 1 minute away and that is what my 1L roommate uses. He just parks down the street and hops on the bus-- I think that is really convenient, I know the bus drops him off right by the law school.

Anyway, PM me for the address and any other details. Again this is a really great place and the only reason I wouldn't be staying here is that I didn't have the numbers for UT, so the fiancee and I have to move on down the road.

Congrats on your acceptance and lemme know about the house!!
Oh PS if someone would teach me how to upload photos I would put a few up!

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by mrwarre85 on Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 005618502 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Little off topic but will ANY UT undergrads please respond to this so I can PM you. I have a question about a specific class, and am trying to find anyone who has previously taken it.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon May 02, 2011 11:39 pm

Hey!

Does anyone know how to access the scholarship awards/personal financial aid information online?

I got an email updating my scholarship that said "electronic confirmation will be sent." Where should I go to look this up?

Thanks!

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am

Also, should the profile photo show a suit and tie or is a dress shirt sufficient?

I just realized I don't have any suited up pictures, nor any suits in my current location.

Additionally, does anyone have experience with on-campus housing?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am

niederbomb wrote:Also, should the profile photo show a suit and tie or is a dress shirt sufficient?

I just realized I don't have any suited up pictures, nor any suits in my current location.

I was gonna go with a more casual picture (like hiking), but perhaps i'm in the minority.

japes

Postby japes » Tue May 03, 2011 10:24 am

niederbomb wrote:Hey!

Does anyone know how to access the scholarship awards/personal financial aid information online?

I got an email updating my scholarship that said "electronic confirmation will be sent." Where should I go to look this up?

Thanks!

finaid.utexas.edu

click on cash.

You mean the grad student apartments?

granger

Postby granger » Tue May 03, 2011 11:17 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
niederbomb wrote:Also, should the profile photo show a suit and tie or is a dress shirt sufficient?

I was gonna go with a more casual picture (like hiking), but perhaps i'm in the minority.

What's this about a picture? I swear I've been out of the loop on like every step of this process.

japes

Postby japes » Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 am

after a long wait, I got mine! Yesssssssss

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 pm

japes wrote:after a long wait, I got mine! Yesssssssss

got what?

japes

Postby japes » Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

got what?

err, I thought this was the thread where we were talking about ACL tickets.

I think the post is better out of context, though.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm

japes wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

got what?

Nope that was the C/O 2014 thread. Glad to hear you got em though

onmytoes812

Postby onmytoes812 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:36 pm

would someone mind posting the link to the c/o 2014 thread?

just paid my seat deposit, and i think i'm in!

now when can i expect my swag? :)

japes

Postby japes » Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=139583

learn to search imo

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
japes wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

got what?

Nope that was the C/O 2014 thread. Glad to hear you got em though

Wait. Are you talking about ACL or swag? Cuz I still haven't gotten my swag.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”