IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
onmytoes812
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby onmytoes812 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:00 pm

IN today!!!! Still in complete shock.

I've done no research. Can anyone talk about the general culture of the school?

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:IN today!!!! Still in complete shock.

I've done no research. Can anyone talk about the general culture of the school?


Congrats!

Also, how did you find out? When did you apply? What are your stats?

onmytoes812
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby onmytoes812 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:47 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Congrats!

Also, how did you find out? When did you apply? What are your stats?


Thank you!!!!

Found out via the most nonchalant e-mail you've ever seen. My roommate & I almost choked on our breakfasts & started screaming. Expecting a letter in the mail soon?

I applied late January. Complete LATE February. I'm out of state. Female, non-URM. Stats 166/3.56

Nothing crazy about my app....getting a Master's right now and I sent the optional LOR's. Pretty good resume/PS, but whose isn't? I didn't start a company or invent anything or do the Peace Corps. No FT work experience.

When have most people been finding out?

flepper
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby flepper » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Just got the non-chalant acceptance email as well! Oh man, I thought my choice was a lock, but now that TX is back in the mix and I want to end up back home, I may have to debate myself again...

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby bleedblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 pm

flepper wrote:Just got the non-chalant acceptance email as well! Oh man, I thought my choice was a lock, but now that TX is back in the mix and I want to end up back home, I may have to debate myself again...


Looks like you have similar choices to me. You should go to TX! That's my plan, and I'm not even from there.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm

bleedblue wrote:Looks like you have similar choices to me. You should go to TX! That's my plan, and I'm not even from there.


Haha sounds like you should be changing your name to bleedorange :lol: You should get the school to give you a grant for all the recruiting efforts!

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby bleedblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Looks like you have similar choices to me. You should go to TX! That's my plan, and I'm not even from there.


Haha sounds like you should be changing your name to bleedorange :lol: You should get the school to give you a grant for all the recruiting efforts!


LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm still anxiously awaiting Stanford though. I think Stanford may be the last school that could pull me away. Harvard would have to move quicker than they actually will. Stanford I'd be willing to drop my deposit and dip out of Austin potentially.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 pm

bleedblue wrote:
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm still anxiously awaiting Stanford though. I think Stanford may be the last school that could pull me away. Harvard would have to move quicker than they actually will. Stanford I'd be willing to drop my deposit and dip out of Austin potentially.


I thought you liked Michigan? You have a pretty decent offer.

I may be withdrawing from UT this week :(

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby bleedblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bleedblue wrote:
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I'm still anxiously awaiting Stanford though. I think Stanford may be the last school that could pull me away. Harvard would have to move quicker than they actually will. Stanford I'd be willing to drop my deposit and dip out of Austin potentially.


I thought you liked Michigan? You have a pretty decent offer.

I may be withdrawing from UT this week :(


I like Michigan a lot. But I'm ready to be out of here. Its a tough choice. But I've been within an hour of UM my whole life, I've gone here for 4 years, and Detroit isn't cutting it as my big city. I'm ready for a bigger city and NYC isn't feasible, but I liked Austin a lot. And you shouldn't withdraw. The dean was going on about some interesting IP law stuff at ASW you should call him and talk to him about UT and his ideas for the school before you withdraw.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 pm

I live 10 minutes from Penn and we want to move to SF to work, so the choices are obvious. I was hoping that UT would give me a big enough offer to help my decision, but it's comparable to others I have, so I don't think that's going to work. UT was my top target when I started this process 2 years ago, so it's hard to let it go.

clearfire
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby clearfire » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:I live 10 minutes from Penn and we want to move to SF to work, so the choices are obvious. I was hoping that UT would give me a big enough offer to help my decision, but it's comparable to others I have, so I don't think that's going to work. UT was my top target when I started this process 2 years ago, so it's hard to let it go.


That's too bad r6, i've been hoping other top prospects will join me in attending UT, got to keep the upward trend going. And it would be nice to have someone to ride with (i'm assuming).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

clearfire wrote:That's too bad r6, i've been hoping other top prospects will join me in attending UT, got to keep the upward trend going. And it would be nice to have someone to ride with (i'm assuming).


I barely ride at all on the street anymore, if anything I will be back racing after I start making money again. But the hills behind Berkeley will probably change my mind. I still have the good old R6 and Husky itching to get out.

User avatar
PSUFB1114
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby PSUFB1114 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Congrats! and to those already accepted, if we haven't heard about scholarships yet :cry: don't plan on it right? I've all but made my final decision, but can't bring myself to withdraw from UT until I know for sure.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby super6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 pm

How does one go about paying the deposit? That's due this Friday, right?

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby IgnatiusJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 pm

super6 wrote:How does one go about paying the deposit? That's due this Friday, right?


Yep Friday. I just paid it. It's really easy, just log in the Freshlaw website (the link you got in the acceptance email), go to Freshlaw status and it should tell you how much money you owe for the deposit and then go from there. I just paid with a credit card and got a confirmation email a few minutes later. There's probably an easier way to get there but this works.

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby niederbomb » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:23 am

Still haven't decided....Full tuition @ UT vs. half at Penn vs. the prospect of sticker at Chicago (ED next cycle).

I can't visit anything.

The deposit is due Friday, right?

TheThreader
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby TheThreader » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:19 am

is there any way to request an extension on the deposit?

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby bleedblue » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 am

http://recsports.smugmug.com/Outdoor-Recreation

Anyone down to do some of those trips on the weekends? Another plus for UT

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Well, my housing search is over. I found a cheap place on the outskirts of west campus...not too undergrad-y. I wanted Hyde Park, but I couldn't pass up the deal. It's a little less than a mile from the law school, so it should be an easy commute.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby super6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Well, my housing search is over. I found a cheap place on the outskirts of west campus...not too undergrad-y. I wanted Hyde Park, but I couldn't pass up the deal. It's a little less than a mile from the law school, so it should be an easy commute.


Are you moving in now or is it possible to find places to rent starting in August? Due to a unique series of events that allowed me to finish undergrad only a year after high school I lived at home in undergrad so this is my first time looking for housing so I don't really know what I'm doing.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 pm

super6 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Well, my housing search is over. I found a cheap place on the outskirts of west campus...not too undergrad-y. I wanted Hyde Park, but I couldn't pass up the deal. It's a little less than a mile from the law school, so it should be an easy commute.


Are you moving in now or is it possible to find places to rent starting in August? Due to a unique series of events that allowed me to finish undergrad only a year after high school I lived at home in undergrad so this is my first time looking for housing so I don't really know what I'm doing.



Depends on the area. Apts closer to campus are geared towards students, so you can pre-lease now for an August move-in date. Places further out probably won't let you lease an August place until June, since larger complexes usually don't know what will really be available until tenants give their 60 day notices

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 am

bleedblue wrote:http://recsports.smugmug.com/Outdoor-Recreation

Anyone down to do some of those trips on the weekends? Another plus for UT


I am so down! Plus all those day trips they mentioned in that Austin brochure they mailed us were very tempting...

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby japes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm down for outdoorsy expeditions. IMO 1L greenbelt trips need to be had.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm going to be withdrawing, guys.

UT is a wonderful school and I hope it continues do well. It just was not a viable option for me financially.

yellowmellow
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby yellowmellow » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Just paid my seat deposit :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, aaron1621, ad34964n, AFtoLawschool, BrittanyJeream, cyclawps, danid83, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], jonsie, kdonohue, lawdude31, lillawyer2, mm2368, mritter3, mrtux45, notsolawful, thg1870, ThorB, w00kash and 33 guests