IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swimmergirl1303

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 pm

japes wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Texas' UG tuition was not locked in. I could, however, be mistaken. It is also worth noting that the Law School functions separately from the rest of the campus.

That may be the case but Dean Sager basically promised us all that if tuition was raised it wouldn't be raised for us it would be for future incoming classes. However, he said student input would still be important in that process. Anyways, nice to know it won't be raised vs other public schools....(cough UCs cough)

japes

Postby japes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 pm

Right. I wasn't making an argument one way or the other (I wasn't at ASD since I attended UT@UT Law a couple of weeks earlier), just responding to Pricer's explanation of tuition rates being locked in at UGA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:03 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:
japes wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, Texas' UG tuition was not locked in. I could, however, be mistaken. It is also worth noting that the Law School functions separately from the rest of the campus.

That may be the case but Dean Sager basically promised us all that if tuition was raised it wouldn't be raised for us it would be for future incoming classes. However, he said student input would still be important in that process. Anyways, nice to know it won't be raised vs other public schools....(cough UCs cough)

Ya UCs are breaking my heart with their tuition problems. Being as old as I am, I really wish I'd attended Berkeley like 5 years ago. Sigh

super6

Postby super6 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:21 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Pricer wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Anyone know how long they take to respond to matching requests? Also, a general FAFSA question: How little do you have to have in order to have little to no expected family contribution? I'm trying to figure out if I messed up my FAFSA, since UT's financial aid package said it expects 12k from my family. They aren't contributing a dime. I put down that I had a few grand in savings on the fafsa form, but that's for a car. After moving costs and initial rent, I will effectively have zero dollars to put towards law school. How the hell did I get a 12k expected family contribution?

This is relevant for me, as well. My parents will not be contributing anything, but I put their information on the FAFSA because I thought it was needed for some schools.

Parents' info doesn't affect the estimated family contribution for grad/professional school on the FAFSA. The FAFSA EFC should only be >0 if you have substantial personal income/assets.

What's substantial? I put down that I had like 6k in a savings account. But that is to buy a car and cover moving costs. That can't be enough to trigger a 12k a year family contribution, could it?

I have a lower EFC than you (I think it was between 6 and 7k) but more money in savings which leads me to believe that, if you submit parents' info, it has an effect. My income was only 16k, however, so you might have more income which would increase your EFC. Only my dad works and he had surgery to remove cancer and then surgery on both of his knees last year which substantially reduced my family's income so that helped with FAFSA, I think.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 pm

super6 wrote:I have a lower EFC than you (I think it was between 6 and 7k) but more money in savings which leads me to believe that, if you submit parents' info, it has an effect. My income was only 16k, however, so you might have more income which would increase your EFC. Only my dad works and he had surgery to remove cancer and then surgery on both of his knees last year which substantially reduced my family's income so that helped with FAFSA, I think.

See that's what I don't understand. I'm listed as an independent (because I am), and yes I make a decent amount of money now, but that will disappear once I leave my job. Can anyone confirm if current salary really plays a role? Shouldn't it just be savings?

Edit: decent for someone who is only a few years out of school (we aren't talkin 6 figures or anything).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:33 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
See that's what I don't understand. I'm listed as an independent (because I am), and yes I make a decent amount of money now, but that will disappear once I leave my job. Can anyone confirm if current salary really plays a role? Shouldn't it just be savings?

Edit: decent for someone who is only a few years out of school (we aren't talkin 6 figures or anything).

It's the current salary. They expect you to contribute a part of your previous year and summer earnings as well as contribution from your assets. For UG my EFC (FAFSA result) is 0. For law school Penn assessed me about 15k from earnings and small amount of assets. I also have a little bit of home equity but there is no way I can get that out. I am not underwater as long as I don't try to sell my house lol

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:41 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
super6 wrote:I have a lower EFC than you (I think it was between 6 and 7k) but more money in savings which leads me to believe that, if you submit parents' info, it has an effect. My income was only 16k, however, so you might have more income which would increase your EFC. Only my dad works and he had surgery to remove cancer and then surgery on both of his knees last year which substantially reduced my family's income so that helped with FAFSA, I think.

Your EFC is based on previous year's income and assets. So for the 2011-12 school year it will be based on your earnings in 2010, for the following school year (our 2L) it will be based on earnings in 2011, etc. So your EFC can and probably will change depending on if you get a high paying summer job or do public interest etc.

Also, financial aid office told me that they won't know about grants until sometime in the late spring/summer, but count on not getting anything, if they get money from the state budget they will disperse it according to need. They wanted to give out financial aid offers without grants so that students can decide about attending before the deadlines (even though it doesn't include any possible grants).

Prophet - for someone making roughly 22k/year the EFC is around 3,800 ; 32k/year around 7,500 according to my experiences.

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:41 am

i just got a letter in the mail today from the LSAC saying through 'no fault' of their own, my application was lost and never received by UT... but they will send it next week and i'll be considered....
i'm thinking i'm screwed though. it sounds like they've already sent out most of their decisions.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:13 am

SunshineKid wrote:i just got a letter in the mail today from the LSAC saying through 'no fault' of their own, my application was lost and never received by UT... but they will send it next week and i'll be considered....
i'm thinking i'm screwed though. it sounds like they've already sent out most of their decisions.

That really sucks.... When was it supposed to have been sent?

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 am

December. :(

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 am

SunshineKid wrote:December. :(

Did you not freak out when you failed to receive any emails from UT about status checkers and such?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 am

SunshineKid wrote:i just got a letter in the mail today from the LSAC saying through 'no fault' of their own, my application was lost and never received by UT... but they will send it next week and i'll be considered....

if it makes you feel any better, if you're not in-state, you probably weren't going to get need-based grants anyhow

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:27 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
SunshineKid wrote:December. :(

Did you not freak out when you failed to receive any emails from UT about status checkers and such?

+1... Did you apply to so many schools that you lost track? Because from the day I started out until the day I recieved my last decision, I was checking emails and status checkers nonstop.

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Oh flipped out. Called every week. Emailed etc. They kept telling me that they probably hadn't gotten to it yet because so many people applied...
I asked if something may have happened to it but I was told repeatedly no and it was probably nothing.
Believe me, not having a checker drove me up the wall.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:12 pm

SunshineKid wrote:Oh flipped out. Called every week. Emailed etc. They kept telling me that they probably hadn't gotten to it yet because so many people applied...
I asked if something may have happened to it but I was told repeatedly no and it was probably nothing.

Crap! That really does suck.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
SunshineKid wrote:Oh flipped out. Called every week. Emailed etc. They kept telling me that they probably hadn't gotten to it yet because so many people applied...

Crap! That really does suck.

Seriously! That blows. What do you think will happen now?

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:15 pm

Oh my goodness are you serious? I hope UT wasn't a first choice... sorry to hear about your horror story.

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:17 pm

jrose5 wrote:

Oh my goodness are you serious? I hope UT wasn't a first choice... sorry to hear about your horror story.

Something tells me this might be why it has taken them 5 months to tell me nothing, good thing I've checked the status checker multiple times a day :roll:

Or they just want to play hard to get, which I'm ok with.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Did anyone go to the OMV on April 1? I'm going this Friday. What is the dress code?

SunshineKid

Postby SunshineKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm

jrose5 wrote:

haha well thank you... i'm trying to be realistic about this...
When i first started applying to schools, i was careful not to get my heart set one one specifically because... lets be realistic: life doesnt always turn out the way we expect it to. So i'm not totally heartbroken by this but I am pretty bummed that my prospects were impeded.
the letter from the LSAC said that UT will still consider my application.... but i think thats unrealistic. I think the most I could hope for in this situation is for the LSAC to refund my application fee.

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 pm

awilson11 wrote:Did anyone go to the OMV on April 1? I'm going this Friday. What is the dress code?

Yeah, I went. Dress code was business casual with emphasis on casual. There were only about 30 or so people there, and all the professors were very accessible during the day which was kind of cool. You'll have a blast.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Did anyone go to the OMV on April 1? I'm going this Friday. What is the dress code?

Yeah, I went. Dress code was business casual with emphasis on casual. There were only about 30 or so people there, and all the professors were very accessible during the day which was kind of cool. You'll have a blast.

So a pair of nice dress jeans and a button up shirt should be fine? Thanks for the info

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 pm

awilson11 wrote:
IgnatiusJ wrote:

So a pair of nice dress jeans and a button up shirt should be fine? Thanks for the info

Yep that's exactly what I wore. Definitely recommend going out in Austin while you're there as well, 6th street was a whole lot of fun.

super6

Postby super6 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

awilson11 wrote:
IgnatiusJ wrote:

I didn't know dress jeans were a thing.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:08 am

super6 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
IgnatiusJ wrote:

I'll be there Friday if I finish a paper I have due that day.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”