IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clearfire

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby clearfire » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 am

richie wrote:This is from last cycle, but UT pretty much fully matched an offer from UVA (most with merit, some with grants) for me last year. I went and talked to financial aid people when I came down for ASW, but I think either email or calling should be fine too. I would make sure you don't think any other schools are going to be coming up with money offers first, since I think UT's policy is you only have one chance to request UT match other scholarships.

Did you take the offer letters in with you to the ASW? Did they give you a new offer on the spot? I have a few offers from slightly lower ranking schools, and was hoping to hear back from one or two more before I went to them about it, but I think they also have an April 1st deadline.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 am

neonx wrote:How do we try to get UT to scolly-match? Phone call? Email? Snail Mail?

I scanned copies of my scholly letters from other schools, emailed them to the financial aid people and within about a week, Dean Ingram called. She informed me they had upped my amount and then I got a letter within about 2 days after the call outlining the new amount. Pretty simple actually, but I have heard they only consider it once so definitely wait til you have all (or at least most of your best) offers on the table.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 am

So I still haven't heard back about financial aid packages from a few schools, but I just got a $150,000 offer at Northwestern. I got $93,000 total from UT (including the non-resident waiver thing). Could my Northwestern offer alone be enough to make UT increase their offer, or should I wait until I have more potential options to put on the table? I feel like Northwestern's should be enough, since it's just a couple spots above in the rankings, but I've never done this whole matching thing before. I'd also like to submit my matching request sooner rather than later, since the deposit deadline is rapidly approaching.

I would much rather go to UT than Northwestern since I hate the cold, but it's hard to pass up a full ride at NU when I'll still have to pay 15k a year in tuition at UT.

ms1987

Postby ms1987 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Anyone know what UTs mock classes are like on ASD?

IgnatiusJ

Postby IgnatiusJ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Anyone going to the mini-visit on April 1st? Can't make the ASD, but would love to go out after the mini visit on April 1st Friday if anyone is interested

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 pm

ms1987 wrote:Anyone know what UTs mock classes are like on ASD?

It's fairly low-pressure. You probably won't get called on if you don't raise your hand. Pretty enjoyable, too.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:09 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So I still haven't heard back about financial aid packages from a few schools, but I just got a $150,000 offer at Northwestern. I got $93,000 total from UT (including the non-resident waiver thing). Could my Northwestern offer alone be enough to make UT increase their offer, or should I wait until I have more potential options to put on the table? I feel like Northwestern's should be enough, since it's just a couple spots above in the rankings, but I've never done this whole matching thing before. I'd also like to submit my matching request sooner rather than later, since the deposit deadline is rapidly approaching.

I would much rather go to UT than Northwestern since I hate the cold, but it's hard to pass up a full ride at NU when I'll still have to pay 15k a year in tuition at UT.

I'm not sure if you've read about matching so I hope I'm not annoyingly repeating information to you, but the way UT does matching isn't dollar-for-dollar, instead they calculate your ultimate debt. Since Chicago's cost of living is higher than Austin's that might be a strike against you, but that scholarship is pretty substantial so it can't hurt.

If you might get aid from a peer school (probably has to be T20 or higher) with a similar cost of living, then my advice would be to wait for that before submitting your matching request because you're only allowed to submit a letter once.

I'm still waiting on WUSTL and USC before doing the matching even though I could graduate from Carolina without debt and I'm having serious trouble turning that down. Texas, I love you and you can get me to CA, let me be with you!

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:44 pm

IgnatiusJ wrote:Anyone going to the mini-visit on April 1st? Can't make the ASD, but would love to go out after the mini visit on April 1st Friday if anyone is interested

Yeah I'll be there Thursday night until Sunday afternoon and am definitely down for going out.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 am

innernetp wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:So I still haven't heard back about financial aid packages from a few schools, but I just got a $150,000 offer at Northwestern. I got $93,000 total from UT (including the non-resident waiver thing). Could my Northwestern offer alone be enough to make UT increase their offer, or should I wait until I have more potential options to put on the table? I feel like Northwestern's should be enough, since it's just a couple spots above in the rankings, but I've never done this whole matching thing before. I'd also like to submit my matching request sooner rather than later, since the deposit deadline is rapidly approaching.

I'm not sure if you've read about matching so I hope I'm not annoyingly repeating information to you, but the way UT does matching isn't dollar-for-dollar, instead they calculate your ultimate debt. Since Chicago's cost of living is higher than Austin's that might be a strike against you, but that scholarship is pretty substantial so it can't hurt.

If you might get aid from a peer school (probably has to be T20 or higher) with a similar cost of living, then my advice would be to wait for that before submitting your matching request because you're only allowed to submit a letter once.

I'm still waiting on WUSTL and USC before doing the matching even though I could graduate from Carolina without debt and I'm having serious trouble turning that down. Texas, I love you and you can get me to CA, let me be with you!

Thanks for the advice! I did break down all the expenses, both tuition and cost of living, and it's still about a $9000 gap per year. I wanted to wait for USC's offer, but I'm worried they're just going to take too long--they've been so slow! So I went ahead and submitted with just Northwestern's offer (and my breakdown of all the other expenses). I didn't want to cut it too close to the deposit deadline--I need to know if they're going to match it before I schedule a quick trip out to Austin. I'll come back and let you guys know how it went!

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:02 am

juliachild-ish wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I did break down all the expenses, both tuition and cost of living, and it's still about a $9000 gap per year. I wanted to wait for USC's offer, but I'm worried they're just going to take too long--they've been so slow! So I went ahead and submitted with just Northwestern's offer (and my breakdown of all the other expenses). I didn't want to cut it too close to the deposit deadline--I need to know if they're going to match it before I schedule a quick trip out to Austin. I'll come back and let you guys know how it went!

I'm waiting for USC as well. I'm thinking about putting down a seat deposit at ASD if they don't get back to me soon.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:06 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:I'm waiting for USC as well. I'm thinking about putting down a seat deposit at ASD if they don't get back to me soon.

I am going for the April 8th OMV or whatever. If USC hasn't gotten back to me by then and I like Austin and UT, I am going to go ahead and pay my seat deposit with the $200 travel stipend while I am there and withdraw from USC. I really wanted to visit their campus and UCLA's, but UCLA WLed me and USC updated my status yesterday to still in review. My original six choices were UGA, UT, UCLA, Vandy, USC, and Cornell. So far, UGA admitted me with an underwhelming scholarship, UT admitted me with a larger scholarship than I expected, UCLA and Vandy gave me the WL, and USC and Cornell refuse to give any sort of answer at all. I think the choice is clear here haha.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:45 pm

So I'm waiting in the airport to board my flight to Austin. I'm really hoping finaid offers come out today. Otherwise, my meeting with the financial aid officer tomorrow is going to consist of me asking repeatedly when I can have my money.

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Texas is my friends #1 school, and that person is freaking out because it has been 4 months since said person applied (Literally early November). Said person called the school a couple weeks ago and was told they are still reviewing the application and need more time.

Stats:
Right below LSAT 25%

Right above GPA 75% from great school/medium strength major

Great softs(seriously, almost as good as it gets in a few different ways)

Not URM

OOS

Has not sent LOCI

Any predictions/advice would be very much appreciated? When is the seat deposit due?
I’m thinking WL, at best.

PHT
Last edited by PleaseHelpThanks on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Is your friend in-state or out-of-state?

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:35 pm

akili wrote:Is your friend in-state or out-of-state?

My bad... OOS

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 pm

I mean, it sounds to me like they like your friend enough to keep them around (maybe those cool softs) and are waiting to see how the class plays out to make a decision?

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:39 pm

akili wrote:I mean, it sounds to me like they like your friend enough to keep them around (maybe those cool softs) and are waiting to see how the class plays out to make a decision?

Agreed, but my question is about the likely outcome (I know that's dumb). I mean, they wouldn't reject someone after all that, would they?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:41 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
akili wrote:I mean, it sounds to me like they like your friend enough to keep them around (maybe those cool softs) and are waiting to see how the class plays out to make a decision?

Agreed, but my question is about the likely outcome (I know that's dumb). I mean, they wouldn't reject someone after all that, would they?

I would guess more like a waitlist. But a rejection is still a possibility. At UW last year, I was held until the very last day they were making decisions and it was a rejection (granted, UW is weird). Has your friend sent in an LOCI? Update grades/new LOR/info about work stuff? That might help.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 pm

I just got my matching offer. 3k more per year. Stoked! Pushing Texas ahead of Duke for the moment.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:55 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Texas is my friends #1 school, and that person is freaking out because it has been 4 months since said person applied (Literally early November). Said person called the school a couple weeks ago and was told they are still reviewing the application and need more time.

Stats:
Right below LSAT 25%

Not URM

OOS

Has not sent LOCI

Any predictions/advice would be very much appreciated? When is the seat deposit due?

PHT

Your friend should post this in the appropriate forum <http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133915&start=1625>
Also, sadly, your friend should not expect anything better than a waitlist. Below 25% + non-URM = Reject. Be happy your friend is still being considered, and suggest to your friend that he/she retake the lsat.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Accepted today, happily tagging, beginning contemplation.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Texas is my friends #1 school, and that person is freaking out because it has been 4 months since said person applied (Literally early November). Said person called the school a couple weeks ago and was told they are still reviewing the application and need more time.

Stats:
Right below LSAT 25%

Not URM

OOS

Has not sent LOCI

PHT

Your friend should post this in the appropriate forum <http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133915&start=1625>
Also, sadly, your friend should not expect anything better than a waitlist. Below 25% + non-URM = Reject. Be happy your friend is still being considered, and suggest to your friend that he/she retake the lsat.

That's not entirely true. I'm a 163 and a 3.95 and Texas accepted me in October....

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Hey, just following up on my earlier post. I submitted my matching request two days ago and got a phone call from Dean Ingram today--they upped their offer to full tuition! I am very very pleased. Booking plane tickets to go visit Austin now! I am envisioning myself debt free by age thirty, law school degree in hand...

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:18 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Hey, just following up on my earlier post. I submitted my matching request two days ago and got a phone call from Dean Ingram today--they upped their offer to full tuition! I am very very pleased. Booking plane tickets to go visit Austin now! I am envisioning myself debt free by age thirty, law school degree in hand...

Respect.

xxxo

Postby xxxo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:04 pm

In OOS and am so excited!!!!!!! I've never been to Texas but I'm coming for the April 8 mini-visit.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”