juliachild-ish wrote:So I still haven't heard back about financial aid packages from a few schools, but I just got a $150,000 offer at Northwestern. I got $93,000 total from UT (including the non-resident waiver thing). Could my Northwestern offer alone be enough to make UT increase their offer, or should I wait until I have more potential options to put on the table? I feel like Northwestern's should be enough, since it's just a couple spots above in the rankings, but I've never done this whole matching thing before. I'd also like to submit my matching request sooner rather than later, since the deposit deadline is rapidly approaching.
I would much rather go to UT than Northwestern since I hate the cold, but it's hard to pass up a full ride at NU when I'll still have to pay 15k a year in tuition at UT.
I'm not sure if you've read about matching so I hope I'm not annoyingly repeating information to you, but the way UT does matching isn't dollar-for-dollar, instead they calculate your ultimate debt. Since Chicago's cost of living is higher than Austin's that might be a strike against you, but that scholarship is pretty substantial so it can't hurt.
If you might get aid from a peer school (probably has to be T20 or higher) with a similar cost of living, then my advice would be to wait for that before submitting your matching request because you're only allowed to submit a letter once.
I'm still waiting on WUSTL and USC before doing the matching even though I could graduate from Carolina without debt and I'm having serious trouble turning that down. Texas, I love you and you can get me to CA, let me be with you!