IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

granger wrote:So, where should I live next year? Who has some recommendations?


I'm taking a long tour of properties near the law school sometime this week. I'll update you guys on what I find.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Deuce wrote:Anyone know how long Texas takes to scholly negotiate? Submitted the other day and hoping to get an update before I sit down and really grind out which school I'll be going to


No idea. I just emailed them late last week about the same thing so I'll let you know when I hear if you haven't already.

Also, just come to Texas. The state needs your Anti-Nazi, Chewbacca Squirrel 'tar.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Anyone know how long Texas takes to scholly negotiate? Submitted the other day and hoping to get an update before I sit down and really grind out which school I'll be going to


No idea. I just emailed them late last week about the same thing so I'll let you know when I hear if you haven't already.

Also, just come to Texas. The state needs your Anti-Nazi, Chewbacca Squirrel 'tar.


Well, I just checked my voicemail after work and Dean Ingram left me a message saying that my scholarship had been increased. It took them 4 days from the day I emailed copies of the other school's letters til the new offer was made. Super pumped. This pretty much guarantees I'll be in burnt orange in the Fall.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm

whitman wrote:Anyone know anything about scholarship negotiation with Texas? My GPA was below their floor to receive an initial offer, and I would love to go, but not at sticker. They said they only consider competing offers once, and I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, Cornell, Northwestern, GULC about scholarship, and Michigan, Chicago, NYU, Duke, and USC for an admissions decision.

I am unlikely to get any game-changing scholarship offers, so should I just go ahead and submit Vanderbilt's offer of $50,000? Would they offer a scholarship to compete with an acceptance and maybe a small offer from, say, Penn? Or just the raw offer from any peer school or better?


Any takers?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

whitman wrote:
whitman wrote:Anyone know anything about scholarship negotiation with Texas? My GPA was below their floor to receive an initial offer, and I would love to go, but not at sticker. They said they only consider competing offers once, and I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, Cornell, Northwestern, GULC about scholarship, and Michigan, Chicago, NYU, Duke, and USC for an admissions decision.

I am unlikely to get any game-changing scholarship offers, so should I just go ahead and submit Vanderbilt's offer of $50,000? Would they offer a scholarship to compete with an acceptance and maybe a small offer from, say, Penn? Or just the raw offer from any peer school or better?


Any takers?


I don't know about your situation particularly but since they only negotiate once I would wait until you have your best offers. If you think Vandy and a small Penn scholly are the best you'll get then go ahead and send it now.

As anecdotal evidence, I just got more cash and the only 3 schools I sent UT info on were Baylor (full ride), WUSTL (almost full tuition), and Michigan (15k a year). Nothing really considered a peer school, but apparently it did the trick.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
whitman wrote:
whitman wrote:Anyone know anything about scholarship negotiation with Texas? My GPA was below their floor to receive an initial offer, and I would love to go, but not at sticker. They said they only consider competing offers once, and I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, Cornell, Northwestern, GULC about scholarship, and Michigan, Chicago, NYU, Duke, and USC for an admissions decision.

I am unlikely to get any game-changing scholarship offers, so should I just go ahead and submit Vanderbilt's offer of $50,000? Would they offer a scholarship to compete with an acceptance and maybe a small offer from, say, Penn? Or just the raw offer from any peer school or better?


Any takers?


I don't know about your situation particularly but since they only negotiate once I would wait until you have your best offers. If you think Vandy and a small Penn scholly are the best you'll get then go ahead and send it now.

As anecdotal evidence, I just got more cash and the only 3 schools I sent UT info on were Baylor (full ride), WUSTL (almost full tuition), and Michigan (15k a year). Nothing really considered a peer school, but apparently it did the trick.


wow, that's great news! Although Dean Ingram told me that a full ride to Carolina would not help my case at all. I know she's the one who makes the decisions but I feel like if they want me to come at all they have to understand that a full ride to Carolina's pretty tough to pass up.

flyingfish
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby flyingfish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 am

what hotel is everybody staying at? Any good deals? Any place close? just got in and trying to make hotel reservations.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Pricer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:47 am

akili wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
akili wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:The rankings boost just confirmed my initial thought that UT's employment prospects exceed its ranking thanks to the strong Texas legal market in which it is king.

FWIW I was talking to a prof of mine earlier that was Columbia Law and a V10 hiring partner for 20+ years (until ~2000) and his feelings on UT for employment/hiring were as good as Duke (another school I'm highly interested in, so we've talked about it a decent bit.)


Everyone in Texas thinks I'm crazy for even considering other schools. Literally, crazy.


What other school are you considering?


Mostly Vandy (Michigan if I get in)

I was pretty set on Vandy, but my mom has a lot of connections in the legal community here and I've been pretty much promised a job and internship for 2L summer and 3L. It's in education-related law, which isn't my first choice...but it's an offer.


Vandy was my number 1 choice going into things. It seemed to be the strongest school I could get into and have good prospects in Atlanta. I was placed on the waitlist, but that isn't why I decided that I would rather attend UT. After doing a lot of research, I decided that UT could not only possibly place better in Dallas/Houston than Vandy can in Atlanta, but that I would enjoy the UT atmosphere a lot more.

I understand you wanting to get away, though. That is another reason I like UT. I can get out of Georgia for a few years, and if I decide to come back to Atlanta 10 years from now, I am sure my UT degree will be portable enough (when combined with that much work experience) to get me back.

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby awilson11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

flyingfish wrote:what hotel is everybody staying at? Any good deals? Any place close? just got in and trying to make hotel reservations.

Definitely no good deals unless you don't mind staying far enough away that you will wind up spending the same money on transportation

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 pm

I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:03 pm

ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Cade McNown wrote:ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?


only for out of staters :(

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:20 pm

akili wrote:I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)


LOLWUT?

OK. This could be your grand chance to finally go to the Salt Lick. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a TLS + BBQ entourage together.

Speaking of which, is there a counterpart to the Vandy ASD thread for UT? It could be cool to have some sort of get together for all of us.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm

akili wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?


only for out of staters :(

:shock: Time to come to ASD :lol:

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby awilson11 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm

lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)


LOLWUT?

OK. This could be your grand chance to finally go to the Salt Lick. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a TLS + BBQ entourage together.

Speaking of which, is there a counterpart to the Vandy ASD thread for UT? It could be cool to have some sort of get together for all of us.

I'll be in Austin from April 6 to April 10th for the OMV on April 8th if anyone is out there then.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 pm

akili wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?


only for out of staters :(


If you want you can pretend to be me. I am participating reluctantly. Why couldn't it just be a walking or bike tour, that way we wouldn't have to endure 2 hours of weird looks from the general public laughing at all the 0Ls on their futuristic unicycles.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
akili wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?


only for out of staters :(


If you want you can pretend to be me. I am participating reluctantly. Why couldn't it just be a walking or bike tour, that way we wouldn't have to endure 2 hours of weird looks from the general public laughing at all the 0Ls on their futuristic unicycles.


I love being laughed at by strangers.

awilson11 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)


Just made a visiting thread here.

LOLWUT?

OK. This could be your grand chance to finally go to the Salt Lick. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a TLS + BBQ entourage together.

Speaking of which, is there a counterpart to the Vandy ASD thread for UT? It could be cool to have some sort of get together for all of us.

I'll be in Austin from April 6 to April 10th for the OMV on April 8th if anyone is out there then.


Just made a visiting thread here

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
akili wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:ASD: Segway tours of Austin...really? Really? REALLY!?


only for out of staters :(


If you want you can pretend to be me. I am participating reluctantly. Why couldn't it just be a walking or bike tour, that way we wouldn't have to endure 2 hours of weird looks from the general public laughing at all the 0Ls on their futuristic unicycles.


Naw, I'll be too busy following yall on foot and laughing while I upload videos to youtube :)

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby CMDantes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:53 pm

awilson11 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)


LOLWUT?

OK. This could be your grand chance to finally go to the Salt Lick. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a TLS + BBQ entourage together.

Speaking of which, is there a counterpart to the Vandy ASD thread for UT? It could be cool to have some sort of get together for all of us.

I'll be in Austin from April 6 to April 10th for the OMV on April 8th if anyone is out there then.


I'd be into a TLS bbq

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby super6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Segways are fun, they're my main draw to the ASW.
I really wish they'd send me a stipend, then I could for sure say I'm going rather than rush trying to recruit friends for a 1200 mile roadtrip to split gas costs.

User avatar
swimmergirl1303
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:22 pm

CMDantes wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
akili wrote:I live in Austin and have a car, so if anyone is interested in checking out housing or the city, I'd be happy to chauffeur :)


LOLWUT?

OK. This could be your grand chance to finally go to the Salt Lick. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to get a TLS + BBQ entourage together.

Speaking of which, is there a counterpart to the Vandy ASD thread for UT? It could be cool to have some sort of get together for all of us.

I'll be in Austin from April 6 to April 10th for the OMV on April 8th if anyone is out there then.


I'd be into a TLS bbq


ditto!

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 am

I have never ridden a segway. Is it as easy as it looks? It looks like I'll miss the segway tours, though. I think I am coming for one of the mini events on April 1 or April 8.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:16 am

Double posting, but different topic.

Are all of you going to these things by yourself? I know not to bring parents or significant others to the actual organized campus events, but what about to travel with? My dad wants to go to Austin with me to check out the city, and I actually enjoy his company. Would it be weird to go to the campus events while he does his own thing, then meet up in the afternoon and show him a few things at the campus/law school? He is taking an interest in my future (let's just say I was the problem child by a longshot) and is curious about this adventure I am about to embark on.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 am

Pricer wrote:Double posting, but different topic.

Are all of you going to these things by yourself? I know not to bring parents or significant others to the actual organized campus events, but what about to travel with? My dad wants to go to Austin with me to check out the city, and I actually enjoy his company. Would it be weird to go to the campus events while he does his own thing, then meet up in the afternoon and show him a few things at the campus/law school? He is taking an interest in my future (let's just say I was the problem child by a longshot) and is curious about this adventure I am about to embark on.


As long as you don't bring him to events, I don't see why not. My parents live in Austin and have been to Vandy multiple times so I won't be bringing them, but if I got in to Michigan, I might bring my dad. He gets so excited!

Honestly, I think it's really not as big of a deal as people on TLS make it out to be. Yeah, if he's going on the Segway tour with you, that's weird...just walking around campus? Not weird at all.

User avatar
Pricer
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Pricer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

akili wrote:
Pricer wrote:Double posting, but different topic.

Are all of you going to these things by yourself? I know not to bring parents or significant others to the actual organized campus events, but what about to travel with? My dad wants to go to Austin with me to check out the city, and I actually enjoy his company. Would it be weird to go to the campus events while he does his own thing, then meet up in the afternoon and show him a few things at the campus/law school? He is taking an interest in my future (let's just say I was the problem child by a longshot) and is curious about this adventure I am about to embark on.


As long as you don't bring him to events, I don't see why not. My parents live in Austin and have been to Vandy multiple times so I won't be bringing them, but if I got in to Michigan, I might bring my dad. He gets so excited!

Honestly, I think it's really not as big of a deal as people on TLS make it out to be. Yeah, if he's going on the Segway tour with you, that's weird...just walking around campus? Not weird at all.


I appreciate the response. That is kind of what I was thinking, but I was curious what other peoples' opinions were.

I spend way too much time on TLS. I am the runner for a small firm (10 lawyers), but the two receptionists are both on spring break, so I am covering the front desk 8:30-5:30 every day this week. I get maybe one call every ten minutes. I literally sit on TLS and facebook for several hours a day because this receptionist job is so slow. I'm gong to have 10000 posts by the time I finish this.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”