IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachedBrit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

The rankings boost just confirmed my initial thought that UT's employment prospects exceed its ranking thanks to the strong Texas legal market in which it is king.

FWIW I was talking to a prof of mine earlier that was Columbia Law and a V10 hiring partner for 20+ years (until ~2000) and his feelings on UT for employment/hiring were as good as Duke (another school I'm highly interested in, so we've talked about it a decent bit.)

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:40 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:The rankings boost just confirmed my initial thought that UT's employment prospects exceed its ranking thanks to the strong Texas legal market in which it is king.

FWIW I was talking to a prof of mine earlier that was Columbia Law and a V10 hiring partner for 20+ years (until ~2000) and his feelings on UT for employment/hiring were as good as Duke (another school I'm highly interested in, so we've talked about it a decent bit.)

Everyone in Texas thinks I'm crazy for even considering other schools. Literally, crazy.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
swimmergirl1303 wrote:yeah when my dad went to UT Law they were ranked 6th (this was back in the early 80's though).

If this is true, someone needs to find the proof so we can post it and gain some freakin respect!

Honestly I would if I could but did we even have internet in 1982? I have NO clue how to look that up. haha.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
swimmergirl1303 wrote:yeah when my dad went to UT Law they were ranked 6th (this was back in the early 80's though).

If this is true, someone needs to find the proof so we can post it and gain some freakin respect!

Honestly I would if I could but did we even have internet in 1982? I have NO clue how to look that up. haha.

I think I just read that USWN didn't start ranking law schools until 1987, and Texas was #11... Whether or not this information is correct, I do not know.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:48 pm

akili wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:The rankings boost just confirmed my initial thought that UT's employment prospects exceed its ranking thanks to the strong Texas legal market in which it is king.

Everyone in Texas thinks I'm crazy for even considering other schools. Literally, crazy.

What other school are you considering?

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Deuce wrote:Anyone know how long Texas takes to scholly negotiate? Submitted the other day and hoping to get an update before I sit down and really grind out which school I'll be going to

finaid told me turnaround is 2-3 days.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

CMDantes wrote:
akili wrote:

Mostly Vandy (Michigan if I get in)

I was pretty set on Vandy, but my mom has a lot of connections in the legal community here and I've been pretty much promised a job and internship for 2L summer and 3L. It's in education-related law, which isn't my first choice...but it's an offer.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:53 pm

akili wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
akili wrote:

Mostly Vandy (Michigan if I get in)

I was pretty set on Vandy, but my mom has a lot of connections in the legal community here and I've been pretty much promised a job and internship for 2L summer and 3L. It's in education-related law, which isn't my first choice...but it's an offer.

May I ask why? Not trying to grill you or anything, but I think you're pretty crazy making that choice having connections here.

Facility? Market? Need a change?

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Climate is actually the big one for me. I really really hate hot weather. I went to UG in the PNW and looooved it. Sign me up for snow.

The facility is pretty eh too, but that shouldn't be a huge factor I think. I don't know, I think the ASWs will make or break places for me. Honestly, if it weren't for Texas summers UT would be the kind of obvious choice.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

I hear ya, the summers here are pretty brutal.

I, for one, absolutely hate snow...so a couple months of brutal heat will make up for it. Also, when I'm in the working world I'll be indoors with the air conditioning turned up. Totally okay with practicing in Texas.

Either way it's a great choice to have.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm

CMDantes wrote:I hear ya, the summers here are pretty brutal.

I, for one, absolutely hate snow...so a couple months of brutal heat will make up for it. Also, when I'm in the working world I'll be indoors with the air conditioning turned up. Totally okay with practicing in Texas.

Oh yeah, absolutely. If I do end leaving I will be missing Town Lake, Zilker, Barton Springs, and Red Bud Isle every day. Oh and Torchy's Tacos. :)

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

akili wrote:

Oh yeah, absolutely. If I do end leaving I will be missing Town Lake, Zilker, Barton Springs, and Red Bud Isle every day. Oh and Torchy's Tacos. :)

Haha Torchy's. I had to force myself to stop eating there, the food comas were really unproductive.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 pm

CMDantes wrote:
akili wrote:

Haha Torchy's. I had to force myself to stop eating there, the food comas were really unproductive.

Soooo true. I'm eating "low-carb" so no tacos for awhile. Did you ever try the double-wide? Chicken fried steak, bacon, pico, and queso. So damn good.

Austin seriously has some of the best food ever.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 pm

akili wrote:Climate is actually the big one for me. I really really hate hot weather. I went to UG in the PNW and looooved it. Sign me up for snow.

The facility is pretty eh too, but that shouldn't be a huge factor I think. I don't know, I think the ASWs will make or break places for me. Honestly, if it weren't for Texas summers UT would be the kind of obvious choice.

I definitely get your dilemma. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic to have been accepted at UT. However, I'm originally from New York, I grew up there. I've been in Texas for the past 14 years, since I graduated from high school (yes, I'm old..lol). I have a hard time with the heat in the summer too. I do not love day after day of 100+ temps for months on end. If I didn't have to stay in Texas (because of family situation, I do) I would have applied to several schools up North to possibly escape the heat, and to have the opportunity to enjoy a white Christmas again.

That being said, Texas really is a great school, and even though the heat can suck, it really is nice not having to scrape ice off of your windshield every morning from Nov. - Mar. Additionally, the economy hasn't been hit quite as hard down here, and the COL is waaaayyyy cheaper. There are positives and negatives either way.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:15 pm

Leira7905 wrote:
akili wrote:Climate is actually the big one for me. I really really hate hot weather. I went to UG in the PNW and looooved it. Sign me up for snow.

I definitely get your dilemma. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic to have been accepted at UT. However, I'm originally from New York, I grew up there. I've been in Texas for the past 14 years, since I graduated from high school (yes, I'm old..lol). I have a hard time with the heat in the summer too. I do not love day after day of 100+ temps for months on end. If I didn't have to stay in Texas (because of family situation, I do) I would have applied to several schools up North to possibly escape the heat, and to have the opportunity to enjoy a white Christmas again.

That being said, Texas really is a great school, and even though the heat can suck, it really is nice not having to scrape ice off of your windshield every morning from Nov. - Mar. Additionally, the economy hasn't been hit quite as hard down here, and the COL is waaaayyyy cheaper. There are positives and negatives either way.

That's true and I'm attempting to weigh wonderful weather October-May and crappy summers with crappy winters and wonderful April-September. Mathematically Texas wins, but I really hate sweating unless I'm working out, lol.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:17 pm

The common concerns about UT and Austin seem to be traffic and heat. I grew up in Palm Springs (the heat there puts Texan heat to shame. I'm talking a solid month of 110-120 degree heat and humidity in August, to the point that half the activity of the area literally shuts down. I have lived in LA for the last 4 years, so Austin traffic will be non-existent in my mind. Good to hear that the things other people worry about are things that will be nice changes for me.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:26 pm

awilson11 wrote:The common concerns about UT and Austin seem to be traffic and heat. I grew up in Palm Springs (the heat there puts Texan heat to shame. I'm talking a solid month of 110-120 degree heat and humidity in August, to the point that half the activity of the area literally shuts down. I have lived in LA for the last 4 years, so Austin traffic will be non-existent in my mind. Good to hear that the things other people worry about are things that will be nice changes for me.

Yeah, honestly the traffic isn't that bad. I grew up in Houston and traffic on 59 during rush hour is 100x worse than any Austin traffic I've experienced. If you live close enough to the LS to walk/bike (realistic considering the low CoL), this won't even be an issue.

I'm looking forward to getting up in the morning, putting on shorts and a t-shirt, and biking to LS for the majority of the year.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

CMDantes wrote:
awilson11 wrote:The common concerns about UT and Austin seem to be traffic and heat. I grew up in Palm Springs (the heat there puts Texan heat to shame. I'm talking a solid month of 110-120 degree heat and humidity in August, to the point that half the activity of the area literally shuts down. I have lived in LA for the last 4 years, so Austin traffic will be non-existent in my mind. Good to hear that the things other people worry about are things that will be nice changes for me.

Yeah, honestly the traffic isn't that bad. I grew up in Houston and traffic on 59 during rush hour is 100x worse than any Austin traffic I've experienced. If you live close enough to the LS to walk/bike (realistic considering the low CoL), this won't even be an issue.

I'm looking forward to getting up in the morning, putting on shorts and a t-shirt, and biking to LS for the majority of the year.

Yea, I am definitely going to get a bike. I wish I had one here in LA.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:33 pm

CMDantes wrote:I'm looking forward to getting up in the morning, putting on shorts and a t-shirt, and biking to LS for the majority of the year.

Ahhh that sounds amazing.

...Reprioritizing...

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:35 pm

This is crazy, but I actually think I'd enjoy the summer in Texas. I was in Phoenix for a bit last August and I couldn't get enough of the warm. I'm like a lizard. Though there's a huge difference between a dry heat and a nasty nasty humid heat...

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:39 pm

innernetp wrote:This is crazy, but I actually think I'd enjoy the summer in Texas. I was in Phoenix for a bit last August and I couldn't get enough of the warm. I'm like a lizard. Though there's a huge difference between a dry heat and a nasty nasty humid heat...

I don't even mind the humidity (that much), it's just that it doesn't cool down at night. I'd wake up at 6:30 am to run and it would still be 85. SICK NASTY.

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

innernetp wrote:This is crazy, but I actually think I'd enjoy the summer in Texas. I was in Phoenix for a bit last August and I couldn't get enough of the warm. I'm like a lizard. Though there's a huge difference between a dry heat and a nasty nasty humid heat...

Coming from the Gulf Coastal plains, I always have to chuckle when I hear people refer to Austin heat as humid.

granger

Postby granger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:57 pm

So, where should I live next year? Who has some recommendations?

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

japes wrote:

Coming from the Gulf Coastal plains, I always have to chuckle when I hear people refer to Austin heat as humid.

+1. Grew up in Houston, a verifiable sauna. Here in Austin my trouble is the allergies.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Austin heat isn't particularly humid on average.

Houston, on the other hand, is NASTY humid.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”