IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMDantes

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am

Leira7905 wrote:Ya know, last night I was super excited about Texas' triumphant breach of the T14. I was planning on going there anyway, but I felt all the more validated by the new ranking. However, after being subjected to all the egregious anti-Texas trolling and T13 talk throughout the forums, I now almost wish it woulda just stayed at 15.... This is painful! :cry:

Just haters hating.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 am

Leira7905 wrote:Ya know, last night I was super excited about Texas' triumphant breach of the T14. I was planning on going there anyway, but I felt all the more validated by the new ranking. However, after being subjected to all the egregious anti-Texas trolling and T13 talk throughout the forums, I now almost wish it woulda just stayed at 15.... This is painful! :cry:

+1

I can understand the T13 rational, but I think HT10 (historical top 10) or something else would be a better term. (And then when Texas cracks the top 10 someday they'll be out of excuses. :D)

I'm also worried that the only measurable change from being in the T14 will be an uptick in ranking-obsessed douchecanoes in attendance. :| Not anyone here, but a few of the annoying people at my visit day thing were planning on going to GULC or other schools for rank/prestige reasons, and it made me glad.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 pm

radio-edit wrote:douchecanoes

fantastic

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 pm

radio-edit wrote:I'm also worried that the only measurable change from being in the T14 will be an uptick in ranking-obsessed douchecanoes in attendance. :| Not anyone here, but a few of the annoying people at my visit day thing were planning on going to GULC or other schools for rank/prestige reasons, and it made me glad.

This too. There was something comforting about being at the "top of the bottom" as opposed to being the "bottom of the top." Let the douchebaggery commence.

FuManChusco

Postby FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm

radio-edit wrote:

+1

I can understand the T13 rational, but I think HT10 (historical top 10) or something else would be a better term. (And then when Texas cracks the top 10 someday they'll be out of excuses. :D)

I'm also worried that the only measurable change from being in the T14 will be an uptick in ranking-obsessed douchecanoes in attendance. :| Not anyone here, but a few of the annoying people at my visit day thing were planning on going to GULC or other schools for rank/prestige reasons, and it made me glad.

hasn't Texas been t10 before? in the very early years of the rankings.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:
radio-edit wrote:douchecanoes

fantastic

Agreed. Best I've heard today.

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:10 pm

innernetp wrote:
akili wrote:Just to help convince people to come visit.... The high today is 74 and Thursday it'll be 83. I don't really care for Austin summers, but the fall, winter, and spring are pretty freaking awesome.

Also, I want to meet yall!

I forgot to tell you - as you suggested I went to the kite festival with my momma bear. :-) Austin seems like a great place to raise a family.

I also ate at Chuy's, the Salt Lick, NXNW, and some other random places. My favorite of all things was the cupcake truck. Full disclosure - I am a vegetarian and went to the Salt Lick because I still thought that my mom should get a taste of the q. :-) Turns out their green bean casserole was awesome. Also, I am not kidding, but their peach/blackberry cobbler AND pecan pie were the best of those desserts I have ever tried. And I am hardcore into my southern cuisine. You could tell they didn't use any corn syrup in the pie. We also did a wine tasting at the Salt Lick and I was really pleasantly surprised by Texas wine.

If you're veg*n, you should try Veggie Heaven - it's at the corner of Guadalupe and 21st at the opposite end of campus from the law school. Worth the walk, though.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:I was torn between the Duke and UT ASWs, but UT offered me a free plane ticket, booked it for me, and worked out my housing, so consider my convinced. Plus, I've heard awesome things about Austin and I've always wanted to visit, and I hear the weather there is amazing this time of year. I'm so excited!!

If Anyone has questions about this or wants more specifics, PLEASE PM ME instead of CALLING UT. Jesus.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

japes wrote:
innernetp wrote:
akili wrote:Just to help convince people to come visit.... The high today is 74 and Thursday it'll be 83. I don't really care for Austin summers, but the fall, winter, and spring are pretty freaking awesome.

I forgot to tell you - as you suggested I went to the kite festival with my momma bear. :-) Austin seems like a great place to raise a family.

I also ate at Chuy's, the Salt Lick, NXNW, and some other random places. My favorite of all things was the cupcake truck. Full disclosure - I am a vegetarian and went to the Salt Lick because I still thought that my mom should get a taste of the q. :-) Turns out their green bean casserole was awesome. Also, I am not kidding, but their peach/blackberry cobbler AND pecan pie were the best of those desserts I have ever tried. And I am hardcore into my southern cuisine. You could tell they didn't use any corn syrup in the pie. We also did a wine tasting at the Salt Lick and I was really pleasantly surprised by Texas wine.

If you're veg*n, you should try Veggie Heaven - it's at the corner of Guadalupe and 21st at the opposite end of campus from the law school. Worth the walk, though.

Veggies. In Austin? Woah.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 pm

lisjjen wrote:
japes wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Veggies. In Austin? Woah.

Austin has a huge offering of vegetarian restaurants and markets.

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

I just got in today via so I don't have my packet yet. When is the ASW and how does one seek a free plane ticket?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:53 pm

super6 wrote:I just got in today via so I don't have my packet yet. When is the ASW and how does one seek a free plane ticket?

ASW next Wed/Thur.

Ticket they call you. You may get a stipend of $200. You might get nothing.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm

japes wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Veggie Heaven is awesome! But when I have sudden tofu cravings, it's always Hoa Hoa that comes to mind.

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
super6 wrote:I just got in today via so I don't have my packet yet. When is the ASW and how does one seek a free plane ticket?

ASW next Wed/Thur.

Yeah, just called admissions, the lady there described the way people get stipends as "kind of random." She's going to email some stuff though, hopefully that settles it. Is there a pattern as to who gets tickets/stipends?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:04 pm

super6 wrote:Yeah, just called admissions, the lady there described the way people get stipends as "kind of random." She's going to email some stuff though, hopefully that settles it. Is there a pattern as to who gets tickets/stipends?

I got stipend, but no ticket. I asked for it, no go. I have no idea how they choose.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 pm

PLEASE PM me if you want clarification.

ETA: I'm of the belief that more information for everyone is better, that's assuming everyone uses discretion and common sense. In this instance, I was essentially outed due to my sharing info.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:PLEASE PM me if you want clarification.

ETA: I'm of the belief that more information for everyone is better, that's assuming everyone uses discretion and common sense. In this instance, I was essentially outed due to my sharing info.

I still like your avatar

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
radio-edit wrote:

+1

hasn't Texas been t10 before? in the very early years of the rankings.

yeah when my dad went to UT Law they were ranked 6th (this was back in the early 80's though).

Legalese

Postby Legalese » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

super6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

ASW next Wed/Thur.

Yeah, just called admissions, the lady there described the way people get stipends as "kind of random." She's going to email some stuff though, hopefully that settles it. Is there a pattern as to who gets tickets/stipends?

I also got the feeling that the process was very random. She said the "travel scholarship" was given based on merit but basically had no guidelines as to what constituted "merit". She said she had no idea if I would get a stipend and, if I did, she had no idea when I would find out. The trip is adding up to be a lot more than I hoped to spend. Oh well, just happy to be admitted with a competitive scholarship.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:yeah when my dad went to UT Law they were ranked 6th (this was back in the early 80's though).

If this is true, someone needs to find the proof so we can post it and gain some freakin respect!

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Don't know how legit this link is but for what it's worth:

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_school_ranking__usn_history

super6

Postby super6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

cngreen wrote:Don't know how legit this link is but for what it's worth:

11th... so close

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:15 pm

super6 wrote:
cngreen wrote:Don't know how legit this link is but for what it's worth:

11th... so close

sonofabitch!

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:16 pm

radio-edit wrote:Veggie Heaven is awesome! But when I have sudden tofu cravings, it's always Hoa Hoa that comes to mind.

I may or may not be on a first-name basis with the womyn that runs the place. I went there way too often during undergrad. Mmm.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Anyone know how long Texas takes to scholly negotiate? Submitted the other day and hoping to get an update before I sit down and really grind out which school I'll be going to

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”