IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akili

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:12 pm

RxBandit26 wrote:Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.

As I answered on the other thread...scholarship info comes after. IIRC, UT does seem to have a wall at 168 though.

japes

Postby japes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:37 pm

akili wrote:
RxBandit26 wrote:Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.

As I answered on the other thread...scholarship info comes after. IIRC, UT does seem to have a wall at 168 though.

Finaid told me there is a wall at 168.

RxBandit26

Postby RxBandit26 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Does anyone know how generous they've been with need-based aid in the past?

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 pm

japes wrote:
akili wrote:

Wait, are you talking about dollars or LSAT score? At first I thought it was the latter, but now I'm not sure!

japes

Postby japes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:33 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
japes wrote:
akili wrote:

Wait, are you talking about dollars or LSAT score? At first I thought it was the latter, but now I'm not sure!

If you have an LSAT below 168, you are not eligible for the first round of merit aid at Texas. You can negotiate or apply for other scholarships, but you won't get an initial merit aid offer.

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 pm

japes wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
japes wrote:
akili wrote:

If you have an LSAT below 168, you are not eligible for the first round of merit aid at Texas. You can negotiate or apply for other scholarships, but you won't get an initial merit aid offer.

Oh okay, well that's why I was confused. I got a Nice scholly (not negligible or a throwaway) offer from Texas on Friday with an LSAT of 167. So, I don't think 168 is a firm wall.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:43 pm

168 wall is probably not as relevant for URMs (I checked your profile). Your cycle with those numbers is more consistent with URM status. But you're right, it's not an ABSOLUTELY firm wall for everyone :)

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to finalize plans for Admitted Students Weekend the 24th and 25th. I'm from DC, so I'll be staying in Austin Thursday and Friday night. Is anyone interested in splitting a hotel room to minimize costs? If so, message me and I'll be happy to give you a call so you know I'm not a creeper.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 am

Who else thinks this is the best Texas logo ever?
--LinkRemoved--

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Does anyone know when Need Based Aid offers will come out? I got an email that they received my fafsa etc. Just wondering if anyone knows their timeline.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

clearfire wrote:Does anyone know when Need Based Aid offers will come out? I got an email that they received my fafsa etc. Just wondering if anyone knows their timeline.

me too! except when i went to check the status it says theres a hold on mine.

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Who else thinks this is the best Texas logo ever?
--LinkRemoved--

That's pretty sick. I enjoy it a lot.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Also, I forgot to report on my visit to UT a couple weeks ago. The building is mostly crappy (but everyone knew that and admitted it) except for the new clinic part. It was pretty sweet. They are also doing construction on the library so that should be better. Everyone I met was very friendly and helpful. The most impressive thing I saw was in one of the main congregation areas. There was a list of all the clerks from the last class that included someone clerking for the SCOTUS (Alito I think). Impressive!

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Who else thinks this is the best Texas logo ever?
--LinkRemoved--

+1

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 pm

I just left Austin. Man I am in a really difficult position. No money at UT versus full ride at UNC and I am just not sure where I want to practice, though chances are probably not in NC. At this point I'd prefer Atlanta or Austin. Austin was terrific, though the traffic was a huge turn off for me. Taking one giant sigh. UT was/is my top choice but I'd feel kind of like a crazy person to go 200k in the hole for it.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:42 pm

innernetp wrote:I just left Austin. Man I am in a really difficult position. No money at UT versus full ride at UNC and I am just not sure where I want to practice, though chances are probably not in NC. At this point I'd prefer Atlanta or Austin. Austin was terrific, though the traffic was a huge turn off for me. Taking one giant sigh. UT was/is my top choice but I'd feel kind of like a crazy person to go 200k in the hole for it.

Did you fill out the FAFSA? Maybe you'll get some Financial Aid. I talked to my counselor today and she said awards should go out around March 17 but maybe a little later.

japes

Postby japes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

swimmergirl1303 wrote:
innernetp wrote:I just left Austin. Man I am in a really difficult position. No money at UT versus full ride at UNC and I am just not sure where I want to practice, though chances are probably not in NC. At this point I'd prefer Atlanta or Austin. Austin was terrific, though the traffic was a huge turn off for me. Taking one giant sigh. UT was/is my top choice but I'd feel kind of like a crazy person to go 200k in the hole for it.

Did you fill out the FAFSA? Maybe you'll get some Financial Aid. I talked to my counselor today and she said awards should go out around March 17 but maybe a little later.

Is this just for need-based aid?

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 am

Maaaan that brochure I got in the mail makes Austin seem like the coolest place ever! I really want to go out for a visit but don't think I'm going to be able to make it work. Flights are surprisingly very expensive from Phoenix to Austin, even though the distance is not that far at all. Sigh.

mikeydan5

Postby mikeydan5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:52 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:Maaaan that brochure I got in the mail makes Austin seem like the coolest place ever! I really want to go out for a visit but don't think I'm going to be able to make it work. Flights are surprisingly very expensive from Phoenix to Austin, even though the distance is not that far at all. Sigh.

I'm flying out from Phoenix for $180 each way on Southwest. They gave me a stpend for $200 to come visit , and I'm sure they would give you some money to come. If they didn't offer you money to cone visit, you should definitely ask for it.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:46 pm

mikeydan5 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Maaaan that brochure I got in the mail makes Austin seem like the coolest place ever! I really want to go out for a visit but don't think I'm going to be able to make it work. Flights are surprisingly very expensive from Phoenix to Austin, even though the distance is not that far at all. Sigh.

I'm flying out from Phoenix for $180 each way on Southwest. They gave me a stpend for $200 to come visit , and I'm sure they would give you some money to come. If they didn't offer you money to cone visit, you should definitely ask for it.

I got a stipend of $200 too, but unfortunately can't make it to ASD. I was actually hoping to visit next week, since I'll have free time (for once), but flights then look to be around $600 roundtrip. Oy. Maybe I'll try and squeeze a trip in in April. And here I thought the expensive part of applying to law school was over once all my applications were in!

mikeydan5

Postby mikeydan5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 pm

You're right about that. Visiting the schools is the most expensive part of the process. You can use your stipend any time until April 8th too.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Who all is going to be at ASD March 24-25? I will be flying in for it.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

mikeydan5 wrote:You're right about that. Visiting the schools is the most expensive part of the process. You can use your stipend any time until April 8th too.

you can? I thought it was just for ASW. That's cool I was thinking I wasn't going to be able to go, but I think I will visit now.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of the building that they could post?

I just emailed them to ask whether the 3.6GPA cutoff for merit scholarships is real, we shall see.

Ashleys110

Postby Ashleys110 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 am

mikeydan5 wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:Flights are surprisingly very expensive from Phoenix to Austin, even though the distance is not that far at all. Sigh.

This is actually my first post (Hello!) but I had to chime in on how expensive tickets Phx to Austin were. I am using United miles to get there, but unfortunately must be at the airport at 5am, fly to San Francisco, then L.A., then finally Austin. Something is off geographically with that :? , but as long as I make it and can make a final decision on Texas, all will be well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”