IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Received the Dean's Letter today along with another viewbook. My favorite part: "One reputable national magazine even ranked Austin as the 'sexiest' city in the United States, but I don't plan to touch that." LOL...except you just did Deanie baby. Might as well say "hey former frat bros, our girls are the hottest and the sluttiest. I'm not going to touch on that...(but with any luck you will, so come to Texas!)"

Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.

User avatar
GotYourselfAStewGoin
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.


USC knows all about lateral transfers to Texas, am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps-L0qJS10#t=2m25s

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.


USC knows all about lateral transfers to Texas, am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps-L0qJS10#t=2m25s


:)

ugbadger
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby ugbadger » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby japes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 am

There really aren't any hotels in the campus area. The AT&T Conference Center is on campus and super expensive, and there's a Doubletree on MLK and 35 which is probably a 15-20 minute walk from the school. You can catch a bus to campus from just about anywhere, though.

User avatar
ms1987
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby ms1987 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 pm

ugbadger wrote:I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks

Hey ugbadger, I'm also planning on making the trip out around that time and to save money on hotels, I decided to look up places on Airbnb.com...people basically rent out their rooms/apartments for pretty cheap. I found a girl renting out her 1 bedroom apartment for around $50 a few blocks from campus...kitchen and everything! I've never travelled this way, but I've had a few friends do it and they say it's definitely worth it. We'll see!

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Edit: Flying into San Antonio brings it down to a more reasonable $300.

ugbadger
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby ugbadger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 pm

ms1987 wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks

Hey ugbadger, I'm also planning on making the trip out around that time and to save money on hotels, I decided to look up places on Airbnb.com...people basically rent out their rooms/apartments for pretty cheap. I found a girl renting out her 1 bedroom apartment for around $50 a few blocks from campus...kitchen and everything! I've never travelled this way, but I've had a few friends do it and they say it's definitely worth it. We'll see!


Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to check that out.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:04 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Edit: Flying into San Antonio brings it down to a more reasonable $300.


Invictus, Where are you flying from? There's no way that should be so high. What sites were you searching? Remember that a lot of discount airlines don't appear on the global search results from sites like Bing, Kayak, Orbitz...etc.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

I'll be visiting UT next week - SO excited! I'm not sure who I should contact about this, though... I'd like to meet with someone from career services or maybe student aid. Basically I want to get down to exactly what's happening with employment at UT - if I should go, what's a reasonable expectation for summer work and landing a job in mid or big law in Austin.

I'm having serious trouble deciding between full freight UT versus a big scholarship at UNC. Do you guys have ideas?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Edit: Flying into San Antonio brings it down to a more reasonable $300.


Invictus, Where are you flying from? There's no way that should be so high. What sites were you searching? Remember that a lot of discount airlines don't appear on the global search results from sites like Bing, Kayak, Orbitz...etc.


NVM, saw you're from Florida.
Jet Blue has following round trip fares leaving March 23, returning March 25:
Orlando-Austin: $254.40
Ft. Lauderdale-Austin: $345.40

Southwest:
Orlando-Austin: $263.60
Ft. Laud-Austin: $312.30
Tampa-Austin: $369.80

Don't know exactly where you're coming from but my guess is that you can do much better than $500.

Aside: Frontier Airlines also flies cheap to Austin which is great for those of you coming from Denver or Kansas City especially.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm

http://www.zilkerkitefestival.com/

This is happening on Sunday in Austin!

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 am

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to the ASW at the end of the month, will those of you going take pictures? I would greatly appreciate it, my decision is down to two schools and I would like firsthand accounts of the school and surrounding area. Thank you!!

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

I'll show up in Austin tomorrow with my momma bear :-D. I'm excited to tour around the city with her and see what's what.

User avatar
whirledpeas86
Posts: 1393
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby awilson11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:


The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?

User avatar
whirledpeas86
Posts: 1393
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm

awilson11 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:


The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?


The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby awilson11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:


The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?


The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).

I'm coming from Los Angeles so it's not the major city issue for me.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:


The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?


The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).


I'm so jealous. :-\

So I'm in Austin and it is everything I thought it would be! So great! Anybody have any advice for things I MUST do tomorrow and the next day? I'm going to check out some farmers markets and hopefully some open houses...

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 am

Go to the kite festival on Sunday!

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby theturkeyisfat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:48 am

innernetp wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:


The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?


The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).


I'm so jealous. :-\

So I'm in Austin and it is everything I thought it would be! So great! Anybody have any advice for things I MUST do tomorrow and the next day? I'm going to check out some farmers markets and hopefully some open houses...


go kayaking in zilker park

springfever
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:39 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby springfever » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

In!!!! I pulled all my apps from last year, retook the LSAT. Glad I did. Last year I was looking at SMU...now it's AUSTIN!

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 am

springfever wrote:In!!!! I pulled all my apps from last year, retook the LSAT. Glad I did. Last year I was looking at SMU...now it's AUSTIN!


Congrats!

clearfire
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby clearfire » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 am

I'll be at the ASD on the 24th and 25th. Flying in from Ohio, and ya, it was like 390 for the cheapest flight. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

RxBandit26
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:17 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby RxBandit26 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”