IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jrose5

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:21 pm

TheGreatWait wrote:Just got the phone call today. So psyched. And for people who applied in January and are freaking out, I wouldn't worry-- I applied in the firsts few days of December, so they probably are just working their way through the piles.

Thanks for that... Am an early Jan applicant freaking out...

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm

TheGreatWait wrote:Just got the phone call today. So psyched. And for people who applied in January and are freaking out, I wouldn't worry-- I applied in the firsts few days of December, so they probably are just working their way through the piles.

Congrats!

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

akili wrote:
whitman wrote:So I was accepted via voicemail on 1/26 with no mention of a scholarship. I have not received anything by mail yet. At this point, should I assume I'm not receiving anything?

I would give it a few more days. I had no mention of scholarship on mine and I got some $$. I'm not sure how long it took to get the scholly letter but it was awhile. I think I wrote it on my LSN profile. Hope that helps.

Well still nothing. Oh well. Anyone think negotiating from a starting point of 0 will get me anywhere? So far I haven't receive any money from peer schools (none have offered yet), but I have gotten into Penn, Cornell, and GTown. Would that help, despite no money?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

I think Penn could maybe?

That pretty darn impressive, btw.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm

whitman wrote:
akili wrote:
whitman wrote:So I was accepted via voicemail on 1/26 with no mention of a scholarship. I have not received anything by mail yet. At this point, should I assume I'm not receiving anything?

I would give it a few more days. I had no mention of scholarship on mine and I got some $$. I'm not sure how long it took to get the scholly letter but it was awhile. I think I wrote it on my LSN profile. Hope that helps.

Well still nothing. Oh well. Anyone think negotiating from a starting point of 0 will get me anywhere? So far I haven't receive any money from peer schools (none have offered yet), but I have gotten into Penn, Cornell, and GTown. Would that help, despite no money?

Would you get any need money? Penn is probably the most generous out of the bunch. You can leverage whole financial aid offers, not just merit part. That said, if you have no $$ anywhere, it's tough. If they really want you to fit a seat, they would probably offered you some already. If they didn't offer then they decided against recruiting you. In that case I can't see them trying to compete with Penn acceptance because how much money would it take to compensate the difference in ranking? It doesn't hurt to try, lay your cards on the table. If you have some need aid, use those. If not, come to Penn.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whitman wrote:
akili wrote:

Would you get any need money? Penn is probably the most generous out of the bunch. You can leverage whole financial aid offers, not just merit part. That said, if you have no $$ anywhere, it's tough. If they really want you to fit a seat, they would probably offered you some already. If they didn't offer then they decided against recruiting you. In that case I can't see them trying to compete with Penn acceptance because how much money would it take to compensate the difference in ranking? It doesn't hurt to try, lay your cards on the table. If you have some need aid, use those. If not, come to Penn.

Thanks for the prompt responses, guys. I would rather do Texas with money than Penn at sticker, being fairly risk averse and still uncertain about career direction. I guess I'll just put those cards out there and see what they say. Philly, have you decided on Penn?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whitman wrote:
akili wrote:
whitman wrote:

Thanks for the prompt responses, guys. I would rather do Texas with money than Penn at sticker, being fairly risk averse and still uncertain about career direction. I guess I'll just put those cards out there and see what they say. Philly, have you decided on Penn?

No he's going to be in my section in law school. I haven't been accepted to Penn yet so he's choosing between Berkeley and UVA right now.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:50 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:No he's going to be in my section in law school. I haven't been accepted to Penn yet so he's choosing between Berkeley and UVA right now.

8) Thank!

(BPV, waiting for $$$ offers)

TheThreader

Postby TheThreader » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 pm

[/quote]
typically they consider only T14+UCLA/Vandy (USC isn't considered a peer), but I've heard of in-state students getting them to up their scholly by using an SMU full-ride.[/quote]

So, will UT match a vandy offer, or will they match it after subtracting the difference with instate tuition. For example, if i got 72k fro vandy, would ut give me 72k, or would they give me around 12k?

Also, when do USC schollys come out? Did it come with acceptance? Im waiting for my letter (east coast), but I called the office, and they said they didnt do them until the end of february?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

TheThreader wrote:So, will UT match a vandy offer, or will they match it after subtracting the difference with instate tuition. For example, if i got 72k fro vandy, would ut give me 72k, or would they give me around 12k?

Also, when do USC schollys come out? Did it come with acceptance? Im waiting for my letter (east coast), but I called the office, and they said they didnt do them until the end of february?

When a school "matches" a scholarship offer, it usually means that they match your total COA after scholarships. So, if you were matching $72K from Vandy, it would adjusted, if at all, to In-State + ~$27K.

meryl

Postby meryl » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm

whitman wrote:
akili wrote:

I got accepted on January 18th with no mention of scholarship and got the scholarship letter dated February 9th.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 pm

meryl wrote:
whitman wrote:
akili wrote:

I got accepted on January 18th with no mention of scholarship and got the scholarship letter dated February 9th.

Curious, what are your numbers?

I got a UT envelope in the mail this weekend and my heart skipped a beat. Turned out to just be a book on how neat Austin is. Thanks, UT. Get my hopes up for scholly and then just tell me all about my hometown.

aggie07

Postby aggie07 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:54 am

Just got a call yesterday with the good news!!! I didn't apply until mid/late january and i'm so excited i heard back in less than a month!

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 am

I would give it a few more days. I had no mention of scholarship on mine and I got some $$. I'm not sure how long it took to get the scholly letter but it was awhile. I think I wrote it on my LSN profile. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Well still nothing. Oh well. Anyone think negotiating from a starting point of 0 will get me anywhere? So far I haven't receive any money from peer schools (none have offered yet), but I have gotten into Penn, Cornell, and GTown. Would that help, despite no money?[/quote]

I got accepted on January 18th with no mention of scholarship and got the scholarship letter dated February 9th.[/quote]

I got a UT envelope in the mail this weekend and my heart skipped a beat. Turned out to just be a book on how neat Austin is. Thanks, UT. Get my hopes up for scholly and then just tell me all about my hometown.[/quote]

My heart would have skipped a beat, too, if I hadn't received a heads up from you. Thanks.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 am

whitman wrote:I would give it a few more days. I had no mention of scholarship on mine and I got some $$. I'm not sure how long it took to get the scholly letter but it was awhile. I think I wrote it on my LSN profile. Hope that helps.

Well still nothing. Oh well. Anyone think negotiating from a starting point of 0 will get me anywhere? So far I haven't receive any money from peer schools (none have offered yet), but I have gotten into Penn, Cornell, and GTown. Would that help, despite no money?[/quote]

I got accepted on January 18th with no mention of scholarship and got the scholarship letter dated February 9th.[/quote]

I got a UT envelope in the mail this weekend and my heart skipped a beat. Turned out to just be a book on how neat Austin is. Thanks, UT. Get my hopes up for scholly and then just tell me all about my hometown.[/quote]

My heart would have skipped a beat, too, if I hadn't received a heads up from you. Thanks.[/quote]

My heart skipped a beat even AFTER knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am not getting a scholarship. Save money on the viewbooks and put it into a scholarship fund... :-( (/whine)

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 am

IN after a V-day call!!!! Submitted early late Nov, complete 12/6.

I'm wondering what my chances are of getting money with my relatively low GPA (3.5) but high LSAT...it's my hometown school so would love to get a chance to make it back there after UG away and living abroad!!

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Busy at work, jamming to some Pandora, and see the cell light up with a 512 number. In at UT. So pumped!

Went complete 1/6 for those wondering. 167, over 3.7, OOS.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:02 pm

HEY GUYS!!
I'm was accepted, and probably going to go there. I might head down there for a campus visit this Sunday/Monday since I have Monday off for presidents' day. Anyone wana join me?
Post up and PM me if you want to meet !

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
whitman wrote:
akili wrote:

If you have received an initial scholarship offer, does anyone think they would try to increase your scholarship to lure you away from the higher ranked school?

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:42 pm

awilson11 wrote:Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

There really aren't any hotels on UT campus, with the exception of the AT&T conference center, and from any hotel you're going to have to take a bus/cab to get to the law school. So, if you plan on going out downtown at night, it would make sense to get a room near the bars you plan on going to, since you'll be walking home from them presumably. That said, 6th street is "meh", but if it's your first time in Austin it's worth a visit, though you might like the bars on the adjacent streets a little bit more. You can take the number 7 bus from downtown to about a block from the law school, so staying downtown probably makes the most sense.

tazvec

Postby tazvec » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm

LSN doesn't differentiate oos vs in-state apps. I applied late jan. with a 169, 3.5x. I haven't even received a "complete" email. Should I be concerned, or are they really flooded with apps?

wdp

Postby wdp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm

In at UT! Received phone call on 2/17 and then package by mail on 2/22. For those of you who received scholarship offers/letters, did they come separate from the acceptance/info package?

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm

wdp wrote:In at UT! Received phone call on 2/17 and then package by mail on 2/22. For those of you who received scholarship offers/letters, did they come separate from the acceptance/info package?

Scholarship offers come a week or two after the initial acceptance package. They've been pretty predictable with how much they give to what numbers, so a little digging on here or LSN can tell you what to expect. If they don't give you anything or don't give you as much as you want, they have a matching program you can try your luck at. You get one shot at it so the consensus is wait until you have all the strong offers you think you're going to get to have the best shot at getting them to negotiate. Congrats on your acceptance!

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 am

Going tomorrow to take an individual tour of the campus. I'll report back over the weekend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”