IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
francisConn

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Still holdin out for a scholly letter myself. I've been telling myself it hasn't come 'cause all the snow and ice is delaying things.

As to negotiating scholarships, UT says they'll consider scholly offers from "peer" schools in the negotiation. What do y'all think qualifies as peer? Would Baylor? Georgia? Haha, I mention these two because they're the only ones that have offered me scholly so far. My guess is maybe T30 schools, but I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

francisConn wrote:Still holdin out for a scholly letter myself. I've been telling myself it hasn't come 'cause all the snow and ice is delaying things.

As to negotiating scholarships, UT says they'll consider scholly offers from "peer" schools in the negotiation. What do y'all think qualifies as peer? Would Baylor? Georgia? Haha, I mention these two because they're the only ones that have offered me scholly so far. My guess is maybe T30 schools, but I'm just pulling that out of thin air.

I've given up hope for a scholly letter. I'm waiting on hearing about money from SMU before I start trying to negotiate with Texas. I hope being a state resident and only really applying to Texas schools they'll actually give me some crumbs.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:36 pm

It will soon be the one month anniversary of my application submission to Texas... still no word from them! To be fair, though, I didn't go complete until 1/21... :(

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm

12thman2011 wrote:
francisConn wrote:Still holdin out for a scholly letter myself. I've been telling myself it hasn't come 'cause all the snow and ice is delaying things.

I've given up hope for a scholly letter. I'm waiting on hearing about money from SMU before I start trying to negotiate with Texas. I hope being a state resident and only really applying to Texas schools they'll actually give me some crumbs.

That's a good point. Maybe they'll consider other schools instate as peer schools. Agreed about waiting for SMU scholly: it's second best in Texas (in the rankings), and I believe it's relatively generous with scholly so perhaps we have a decent bargaining chip there.

Also, sorry if this has been addressed previously, but for those who've received scholly letters, does your Freshlaw Status list the mailing of your scholly letter?

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:48 pm

I talked to the admissions office this morning and they said to wait approx. 10 days for Merit Scholarship Info.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 pm

JTMan wrote:

I talked to the admissions office this morning and they said to wait approx. 10 days for Merit Scholarship Info.

If when they say approx. 10 days they mean like 3 weeks then I still have a chance. haha

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm

typically they consider only T14+UCLA/Vandy (USC isn't considered a peer), but I've heard of in-state students getting them to up their scholly by using an SMU full-ride.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 pm

f0bolous wrote:

typically they consider only T14+UCLA/Vandy (USC isn't considered a peer), but I've heard of in-state students getting them to up their scholly by using an SMU full-ride.

So a considerably larger offer from WUSTL won't get them to do anything?

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:12 pm

f0bolous wrote:

Thanks for your response, even though it's bad news in my case. :)

I did apply to Vandy, so here's to hoping they admit me and throw lots of money at me for some inexplicable reason.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 pm

francisConn wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I did apply to Vandy, so here's to hoping they admit me and throw lots of money at me for some inexplicable reason.

heres wishing I applied to Vandy....I only have USC and GW money offers which apparently won't help me much.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:29 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I didn't personally apply to WUSTL, but $48K from USC wasn't enough for them to budge

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:30 pm

francisConn wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

they might...even though vandy's #s went up, it would be foolish of them to think that they could maintain that new median without throwing $$ like they did last cycle

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:31 pm

JTMan wrote:
francisConn wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

heres wishing I applied to Vandy....I only have USC and GW money offers which apparently won't help me much.

i'd still give it a shot if i were you, but i just wouldn't bank on it

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:32 pm

f0bolous wrote:
francisConn wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

they might...even though vandy's #s went up, it would be foolish of them to think that they could maintain that new median without throwing $$ like they did last cycle

Wait, when you say they didn't budge, do you mean they wouldn't offer you any money or any MORE money? I wasn't offered any merit aid, and I'm hoping a USC offer could at least get me a few grand.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:38 pm

f0bolous wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I didn't personally apply to WUSTL, but $48K from USC wasn't enough for them to budge

Darn. So I guess I shouldn't wait to see if/what I can get from USC either. I'm still waiting on a few schools UT usually will match, the odds are just low any of them give me enough to make UT sweeten their offer. Either way, I will most likely be at UT next fall. Thanks for the advice!

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm just going to play the rural redneck card, hope they think that ads some diversity, beg, and then if all else fails pay for it.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:
Darn. So I guess I shouldn't wait to see if/what I can get from USC either. I'm still waiting on a few schools UT usually will match, the odds are just low any of them give me enough to make UT sweeten their offer. Either way, I will most likely be at UT next fall. Thanks for the advice!

Bolded is the problem. They know we're probably gonna pick them anyway.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:11 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I'm just going to play the rural redneck card, hope they think that ads some diversity, beg, and then if all else fails pay for it.

+1

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Wait, when you say they didn't budge, do you mean they wouldn't offer you any money or any MORE money? I wasn't offered any merit aid, and I'm hoping a USC offer could at least get me a few grand.

my situation was kind of weird where they sent a letter saying they wouldn't match the offer, but simultaneously sent another letter awarding a token amount of $. my understanding then was that even if i didn't send them competing scholarship offers, the token scholarship would've been offered anyhow. however, since i had to defer, all scholarship $ was subsequently revoked, so I'm back at square one.

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:14 pm

francisConn wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:

I have a feeling you're right. But then again, I feel like attempting to negotiate is an expected part of the process, even if our attempts our laughable.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:15 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:
francisConn wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:

I have a feeling you're right. But then again, I feel like attempting to negotiate is an expected part of the process, even if our attempts our laughable.

8) Agreed.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Does matching necessarily mean exact, or could it mean a little better? I have a pretty substantial offer from a T10.

And corollary, what % for NY biglaw chances ITE?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Frankie55 wrote:Does matching necessarily mean exact, or could it mean a little better? I have a pretty substantial offer from a T10.

And corollary, what % for NY biglaw chances ITE?

You would take full UT over your offer? I'd think it was clear if you wanted NYC biglaw you are sitting pretty.

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Debt averse and just trying to cover all my bases. You're probably right.

TheGreatWait

Postby TheGreatWait » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Just got the phone call today. So psyched. And for people who applied in January and are freaking out, I wouldn't worry-- I applied in the firsts few days of December, so they probably are just working their way through the piles.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”