IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sanguar

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby sanguar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

Haven't made any kind of decisions yet on where I'll be going. Still waiting on a bunch of other schools to fill out my list of options.

Couple of thoughts in my head about Texas I figured I'd throw out there to see what, if anything, people who know more than I do might think:

Love the COL in Austin, but am really worried about the job prospects down there for my wife (an architect). Got accepted at UCLA (with similar $ as at Texas), but in the most recent listings we could find, there were 50-odd job postings for architects in the LA area (and lots of them physically near UCLA), but only something like 10 or so (if I remember correctly) in the whole state in Texas.

Also a bit worried about my own job-prospects later. I'm hoping to go into legal academia (already have two MA's in Philosophy, finishing up a PhD now - hopefully defending the dissertation in August, though that looks increasingly unlikely :: grumble grumble :: thank you dissertation advisor :: grumble grumble ::) and Texas has a decent reputation for this, but they've lost two of their most prominent Law and Philosophy people in the last couple of years (Leiter and [part-time] Leslie Green). Those who are still there are good, but the dept. may not be as good for people like me as it used to be (and thus as its reputation might suggest - since reputation doesn't adjust as quickly as reality).

Also, I don't want to lock myself into legal academia (just in case - though given my background it might be hard to find other sorts of jobs in the "regular" legal world), and I don't yet know for certain that I'd want to stay in Texas post graduation. So I don't want to be locked into it, but I don't know much about Texas' out of state "reach" in case I do head into the "regular" legal world.

Anyway.. Hi to all the accepted people! And congrats everybody!

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm

sanguar wrote:Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

Haven't made any kind of decisions yet on where I'll be going. Still waiting on a bunch of other schools to fill out my list of options.

Couple of thoughts in my head about Texas I figured I'd throw out there to see what, if anything, people who know more than I do might think:

Love the COL in Austin, but am really worried about the job prospects down there for my wife (an architect). Got accepted at UCLA (with similar $ as at Texas), but in the most recent listings we could find, there were 50-odd job postings for architects in the LA area (and lots of them physically near UCLA), but only something like 10 or so (if I remember correctly) in the whole state in Texas.

Also a bit worried about my own job-prospects later. I'm hoping to go into legal academia (already have two MA's in Philosophy, finishing up a PhD now - hopefully defending the dissertation in August, though that looks increasingly unlikely :: grumble grumble :: thank you dissertation advisor :: grumble grumble ::) and Texas has a decent reputation for this, but they've lost two of their most prominent Law and Philosophy people in the last couple of years (Leiter and [part-time] Leslie Green). Those who are still there are good, but the dept. may not be as good for people like me as it used to be (and thus as its reputation might suggest - since reputation doesn't adjust as quickly as reality).

Also, I don't want to lock myself into legal academia (just in case - though given my background it might be hard to find other sorts of jobs in the "regular" legal world), and I don't yet know for certain that I'd want to stay in Texas post graduation. So I don't want to be locked into it, but I don't know much about Texas' out of state "reach" in case I do head into the "regular" legal world.

I don't know much about the architecture world in TX, but I do have a friend who recently graduated from UT Law whose husband is an engineer and he had no trouble finding work in Austin while she was doing her studies. I think those fields tend to be closely related. Not sure if that helps at all.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 am

sanguar wrote:Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

As far as getting high end jobs in California

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/worst- ... peed=25000

As far as getting high end jobs in Texas

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/20/best-b ... slide.html

Or just click any of my UT links from my TLS box.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?

I got it as well, but I don't know how competitive it is.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?

I got it too and my numbers are not that great...so i was kind of thinking everyone got it? Plus theyre only giving out one scholly and im sure like 200+ people apply. Sounds competitive lol

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

The previous recepients' pre-LS biographies are impressive enough that I'm not going to waste anyone's time.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

radio-edit wrote:The previous recepients' pre-LS biographies are impressive enough that I'm not going to waste anyone's time.

Yeah I saw those too, and decided I would not apply.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Are you guys straight from UG? I thought they are PI focused/dedicated, but not really with impressive resumes.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

I didn't.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I didn't.

check your junk mail folder, it was in mine.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:Are you guys straight from UG? I thought they are PI focused/dedicated, but not really with impressive resumes.

Yeah I'll be graduating in May.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm

They had very strong PI focus, which I think is what people are talking about. I'm not sure I'm going to waste anyone's time either. I have a strong community service background, but I've sort of taken a few months of doing much good for anyone.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm not straight from undergrad, but that's what I meant. Obviously they're not former CEOs, but they all seemed to have very specific focuses and experience in those areas, and I imagine they have excellent numbers as well. I don't. I'm sure you're a better candidate than I am, though - I wasn't trying to discourage you, just commenting.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I am in a MPA at Penn, and I think all of my classmates have better bios - meaning more PI work/experiences. I don't know if I would apply, but I just want to encourage to apply because those bios are not really that impressive in the world of public interest. (I only read 3-4)

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I got that scholarship too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:13 pm

JJDancer wrote:
awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1

+1, that's why I think if you are interested its a good idea to apply even if you don't have the best stats, I don't see too many people willing to commit (in advance) to three years of public service after graduation.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

JTMan wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

+1

+1, that's why I think if you are interested its a good idea to apply even if you don't have the best stats, I don't see too many people willing to commit (in advance) to three years of public service after graduation.

I am definitely interested in public service, but their definition of public service seems to exclude government opportunities....something that is usually covered under LRAP.

radio-edit

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
JTMan wrote:
JJDancer wrote:

+1

I am definitely interested in public service, but their definition of public service seems to exclude government opportunities....something that is usually covered under LRAP.

I think that's because it's specifically a scholarship for promoting equal access to justice/serving low-income populations, not for general PI.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.

That's what I thought with the Gates scholarship. Then I decided not to do it.

An older lawyer from UT that I talked to put it perfectly. He said, "think of your first 5 years out of law school like a med student would see a residency." When you think about it, that puts everything in perspective. You're learning the concepts of doing law in law school, you're learning how to do law in the market, and since I didn't want to do PI long term, I walked away from the Gates so I could spend that 5 years doing something I'm interested in.

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.

Same here.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

+1 to whoever mentioned the Salt Lick in the other Texas thread.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm

This has been a topic both here and in the Applicant thread (so I'll post in both, sorry to those who read it twice), but I just got an email offering me $$ for travel to ASD. So those who have been waiting for this, check your inboxes.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”