IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby sanguar » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

Haven't made any kind of decisions yet on where I'll be going. Still waiting on a bunch of other schools to fill out my list of options.

Couple of thoughts in my head about Texas I figured I'd throw out there to see what, if anything, people who know more than I do might think:

Love the COL in Austin, but am really worried about the job prospects down there for my wife (an architect). Got accepted at UCLA (with similar $ as at Texas), but in the most recent listings we could find, there were 50-odd job postings for architects in the LA area (and lots of them physically near UCLA), but only something like 10 or so (if I remember correctly) in the whole state in Texas.

Also a bit worried about my own job-prospects later. I'm hoping to go into legal academia (already have two MA's in Philosophy, finishing up a PhD now - hopefully defending the dissertation in August, though that looks increasingly unlikely :: grumble grumble :: thank you dissertation advisor :: grumble grumble ::) and Texas has a decent reputation for this, but they've lost two of their most prominent Law and Philosophy people in the last couple of years (Leiter and [part-time] Leslie Green). Those who are still there are good, but the dept. may not be as good for people like me as it used to be (and thus as its reputation might suggest - since reputation doesn't adjust as quickly as reality).

Also, I don't want to lock myself into legal academia (just in case - though given my background it might be hard to find other sorts of jobs in the "regular" legal world), and I don't yet know for certain that I'd want to stay in Texas post graduation. So I don't want to be locked into it, but I don't know much about Texas' out of state "reach" in case I do head into the "regular" legal world.

Anyway.. Hi to all the accepted people! And congrats everybody!

User avatar
rupret1
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby rupret1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm

sanguar wrote:Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

Haven't made any kind of decisions yet on where I'll be going. Still waiting on a bunch of other schools to fill out my list of options.

Couple of thoughts in my head about Texas I figured I'd throw out there to see what, if anything, people who know more than I do might think:

Love the COL in Austin, but am really worried about the job prospects down there for my wife (an architect). Got accepted at UCLA (with similar $ as at Texas), but in the most recent listings we could find, there were 50-odd job postings for architects in the LA area (and lots of them physically near UCLA), but only something like 10 or so (if I remember correctly) in the whole state in Texas.

Also a bit worried about my own job-prospects later. I'm hoping to go into legal academia (already have two MA's in Philosophy, finishing up a PhD now - hopefully defending the dissertation in August, though that looks increasingly unlikely :: grumble grumble :: thank you dissertation advisor :: grumble grumble ::) and Texas has a decent reputation for this, but they've lost two of their most prominent Law and Philosophy people in the last couple of years (Leiter and [part-time] Leslie Green). Those who are still there are good, but the dept. may not be as good for people like me as it used to be (and thus as its reputation might suggest - since reputation doesn't adjust as quickly as reality).

Also, I don't want to lock myself into legal academia (just in case - though given my background it might be hard to find other sorts of jobs in the "regular" legal world), and I don't yet know for certain that I'd want to stay in Texas post graduation. So I don't want to be locked into it, but I don't know much about Texas' out of state "reach" in case I do head into the "regular" legal world.

Anyway.. Hi to all the accepted people! And congrats everybody!


I don't know much about the architecture world in TX, but I do have a friend who recently graduated from UT Law whose husband is an engineer and he had no trouble finding work in Austin while she was doing her studies. I think those fields tend to be closely related. Not sure if that helps at all.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 am

sanguar wrote:Just checking in to say "Hi!" since I just found this thread. Accepted on the 18th (scholly info received in the mail today.. woo!!)

Haven't made any kind of decisions yet on where I'll be going. Still waiting on a bunch of other schools to fill out my list of options.

Couple of thoughts in my head about Texas I figured I'd throw out there to see what, if anything, people who know more than I do might think:

Love the COL in Austin, but am really worried about the job prospects down there for my wife (an architect). Got accepted at UCLA (with similar $ as at Texas), but in the most recent listings we could find, there were 50-odd job postings for architects in the LA area (and lots of them physically near UCLA), but only something like 10 or so (if I remember correctly) in the whole state in Texas.

Also a bit worried about my own job-prospects later. I'm hoping to go into legal academia (already have two MA's in Philosophy, finishing up a PhD now - hopefully defending the dissertation in August, though that looks increasingly unlikely :: grumble grumble :: thank you dissertation advisor :: grumble grumble ::) and Texas has a decent reputation for this, but they've lost two of their most prominent Law and Philosophy people in the last couple of years (Leiter and [part-time] Leslie Green). Those who are still there are good, but the dept. may not be as good for people like me as it used to be (and thus as its reputation might suggest - since reputation doesn't adjust as quickly as reality).

Also, I don't want to lock myself into legal academia (just in case - though given my background it might be hard to find other sorts of jobs in the "regular" legal world), and I don't yet know for certain that I'd want to stay in Texas post graduation. So I don't want to be locked into it, but I don't know much about Texas' out of state "reach" in case I do head into the "regular" legal world.

Anyway.. Hi to all the accepted people! And congrats everybody!


As far as getting high end jobs in California

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/27/worst- ... peed=25000

As far as getting high end jobs in Texas

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/20/best-b ... slide.html

Or just click any of my UT links from my TLS box.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby akili » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?


I got it as well, but I don't know how competitive it is.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?


I got it too and my numbers are not that great...so i was kind of thinking everyone got it? Plus theyre only giving out one scholly and im sure like 200+ people apply. Sounds competitive lol

radio-edit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

The previous recepients' pre-LS biographies are impressive enough that I'm not going to waste anyone's time.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

radio-edit wrote:The previous recepients' pre-LS biographies are impressive enough that I'm not going to waste anyone's time.


Yeah I saw those too, and decided I would not apply.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Are you guys straight from UG? I thought they are PI focused/dedicated, but not really with impressive resumes.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?



I didn't.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Got an email today inviting me to apply for the Equal Justice Scholarship. Did everyone get this? How competitive is this?



I didn't.



check your junk mail folder, it was in mine.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:Are you guys straight from UG? I thought they are PI focused/dedicated, but not really with impressive resumes.


Yeah I'll be graduating in May.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm

They had very strong PI focus, which I think is what people are talking about. I'm not sure I'm going to waste anyone's time either. I have a strong community service background, but I've sort of taken a few months of doing much good for anyone.

radio-edit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm not straight from undergrad, but that's what I meant. Obviously they're not former CEOs, but they all seemed to have very specific focuses and experience in those areas, and I imagine they have excellent numbers as well. I don't. I'm sure you're a better candidate than I am, though - I wasn't trying to discourage you, just commenting.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Well I am in a MPA at Penn, and I think all of my classmates have better bios - meaning more PI work/experiences. I don't know if I would apply, but I just want to encourage to apply because those bios are not really that impressive in the world of public interest. (I only read 3-4)

User avatar
awilson11
Posts: 233
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I got that scholarship too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby JJDancer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1

JTMan
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:58 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby JTMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:13 pm

JJDancer wrote:
awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1


+1, that's why I think if you are interested its a good idea to apply even if you don't have the best stats, I don't see too many people willing to commit (in advance) to three years of public service after graduation.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:19 pm

JTMan wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1


+1, that's why I think if you are interested its a good idea to apply even if you don't have the best stats, I don't see too many people willing to commit (in advance) to three years of public service after graduation.


I am definitely interested in public service, but their definition of public service seems to exclude government opportunities....something that is usually covered under LRAP.

radio-edit
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby radio-edit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:29 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
JTMan wrote:
JJDancer wrote:
awilson11 wrote:I got that scholarship [email] too. I'm not interested in PI though, so I'm not applying.

+1


+1, that's why I think if you are interested its a good idea to apply even if you don't have the best stats, I don't see too many people willing to commit (in advance) to three years of public service after graduation.


I am definitely interested in public service, but their definition of public service seems to exclude government opportunities....something that is usually covered under LRAP.


I think that's because it's specifically a scholarship for promoting equal access to justice/serving low-income populations, not for general PI.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 pm

I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.


That's what I thought with the Gates scholarship. Then I decided not to do it.

An older lawyer from UT that I talked to put it perfectly. He said, "think of your first 5 years out of law school like a med student would see a residency." When you think about it, that puts everything in perspective. You're learning the concepts of doing law in law school, you're learning how to do law in the market, and since I didn't want to do PI long term, I walked away from the Gates so I could spend that 5 years doing something I'm interested in.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachandRun23 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

12thman2011 wrote:I would apply for it if it considered gov't service as PI work,because I wouldn't mind doing that for three years especially if I didn't have any debt.


Same here.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby francisConn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:45 pm

+1 to whoever mentioned the Salt Lick in the other Texas thread.

User avatar
sanguar
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm

This has been a topic both here and in the Applicant thread (so I'll post in both, sorry to those who read it twice), but I just got an email offering me $$ for travel to ASD. So those who have been waiting for this, check your inboxes.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dddddd90, Ferrisjso, Google Adsense [Bot], Keilz, lillawyer2, Redsfan320, smartmoon, TudoBem, xn3345 and 15 guests