IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 am

Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarship $ with them?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:56 am

BeachedBrit wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarship $ with them?


Not yet, waiting for all acceptances and scholarship offers to come in first so I can bargain from the best position.

BeachedBrit
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby BeachedBrit » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarship $ with them?


Not yet, waiting for all acceptances and scholarship offers to come in first so I can bargain from the best position.


My problem is I'm below the 3.6 cutoff, I was thinking about asking for a scholarship that was contingent upon my LSAC UG GPA rising above 3.6 before matriculation though as people have been getting $9k + In-state waivers with my numbers, which is a big savings.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:02 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Yay Freshlaw is up!

Edit: Just checked the site... I've been lied to! haha


Like they forgot to turn it on :lol: I hope they fix that soon.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Fresh law is up!

The link in the nav bar is not working, but under your status checker there is a link to "Your Fresh Law Status". That link works.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:Fresh law is up!

The link in the nav bar is not working, but under your status checker there is a link to "Your Fresh Law Status". That link works.


Awesome! Not much content yet, but I like the fairly substantive welcome from the Dean.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Fresh law is up!

The link in the nav bar is not working, but under your status checker there is a link to "Your Fresh Law Status". That link works.


Awesome! Not much content yet, but I like the fairly substantive welcome from the Dean.


I did not see ASW info? I was hoping for some travel stipend :mrgreen:

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 pm

Has anyone been able to get Dean Ingram's video to work?

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Fresh law is up!

The link in the nav bar is not working, but under your status checker there is a link to "Your Fresh Law Status". That link works.


Awesome! Not much content yet, but I like the fairly substantive welcome from the Dean.


I did not see ASW info? I was hoping for some travel stipend :mrgreen:


Oh I am SURE you'll get one! It's based on how they give scholarships. Meanwhile I'm having retake in feb to try and boost my hopes of getting any money at all.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Has anyone been able to get Dean Ingram's video to work?


What tab is the video under? I haven't been able to find it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm

innernetp wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Has anyone been able to get Dean Ingram's video to work?


What tab is the video under? I haven't been able to find it.


It was under Dean Ingram's welcome. Apparently they have since removed it. There were a Dean's Welcome and Admissions Dean's Welcome.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:03 pm

innernetp wrote:
Oh I am SURE you'll get one! It's based on how they give scholarships. Meanwhile I'm having retake in feb to try and boost my hopes of getting any money at all.


I hope! I would fly in for a day and get back to make Penn's ASW if they would help with the airfare. I would love to check out Austin and what UT offers, and maybe negotiate for more money :D

Did you sign up for the Feb test already? I am considering a retake to try to get off Harvard hold too...

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

I've heard others mention that UT puts up detailed employment stats on freshlaw. Has anyone else heard this?

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
innernetp wrote:
Oh I am SURE you'll get one! It's based on how they give scholarships. Meanwhile I'm having retake in feb to try and boost my hopes of getting any money at all.


I hope! I would fly in for a day and get back to make Penn's ASW if they would help with the airfare. I would love to check out Austin and what UT offers, and maybe negotiate for more money :D

Did you sign up for the Feb test already? I am considering a retake to try to get off Harvard hold too...


Yeah, ugh, you'd need to jump on it if you're taking it because I think the deadline is in the next couple days. I'm literally out of practice tests (or at least tests after 2000) and so am a bit at a loss at how to prep for it again... I misread the rule to one friggin logic game, and that has made all the difference. Funny/sad how that works.

The way I look at it though is going to be different this time. More like playing the lottery - maybe I'll take it and make one single point higher and that will make me a few thousand dollars, or maybe I'll take it and do worse, which doesn't actually matter since the hard part (admission) is over.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 am

innernetp wrote:
Yeah, ugh, you'd need to jump on it if you're taking it because I think the deadline is in the next couple days. I'm literally out of practice tests (or at least tests after 2000) and so am a bit at a loss at how to prep for it again... I misread the rule to one friggin logic game, and that has made all the difference. Funny/sad how that works.

The way I look at it though is going to be different this time. More like playing the lottery - maybe I'll take it and make one single point higher and that will make me a few thousand dollars, or maybe I'll take it and do worse, which doesn't actually matter since the hard part (admission) is over.


I know, 36 minutes for regular registration and like a few more days for late. I am going through my reasoning right now. I already got the 3 schools I was hoping to get. I got held by H and still waiting for S. If I bomb it, it won't hurt me at the 3, if I get in S I will just cancel the registration. Any loopholes?

Do schools know I registered for a new test if I already submitted?

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:29 am

I was told by NYU that if you register for the Feb test they don't even care because they just don't count that one for this cycle and I am reasonably sure that they don't even see. I would double check. Even UT told me that if I made a better score during the Feb test that it might not help because scholarship money would have mostly dried up by then, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt during the matching process, and I actually would like to defer, anyway, so if I make a better score I could maybe just withdraw and reapply first thing next year.

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby emhellmer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am

According to a thread from last year (you can search UT scholarship matching and probably find it), UT was giving out significant scholarships after mid-March under the matching program. I am also considering taking the Feb. LSAT for this reason. I haven't heard from UT yet, but I imagine that if I were to get in (fingers crossed) I would probably not receive much in the way of a scholarship. My hope is to use my scholarships from other schools (much lower ranked) to apply for a matching scholarship. 5 more points on my LSAT would really help!

Like others, I figure I have nothing to lose at this point. However, please check with individual schools about their policy re: LSAT registration. If your application is still UR or Complete, some schools will hold off on a decision until they have the score (in March, yikes!). LSAC automatically tells them that you have registered for another test.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:55 am

The only 3 school I still care about - H: I probably won't get in without a higher score anyway; Y: probably already either in faculty review or the reject pile; S: straight up won't take Feb score (so I guess they won't care if I retake?). I guess there isn't any downside other than the time and effort. I really rather not do it, but I would love to receive a bit more money and/or get into one of the 3...

Decisions... Thing is to improve upon a 170 requires quite a bit of luck, and I am just not sure how it would go. I guess I have 10 days to do a couple of prep tests and see how it goes?

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby masochist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:00 am

r6_philly wrote:The only 3 school I still care about - H: I probably won't get in without a higher score anyway; Y: probably already either in faculty review or the reject pile; S: straight up won't take Feb score (so I guess they won't care if I retake?). I guess there isn't any downside other than the time and effort. I really rather not do it, but I would love to receive a bit more money and/or get into one of the 3...

Decisions... Thing is to improve upon a 170 requires quite a bit of luck, and I am just not sure how it would go. I guess I have 10 days to do a couple of prep tests and see how it goes?


I wouldn't have the heart to do this. Luck favors regression to the mean, and I can't imagine how much it would suck to study for that obnoxious test one more time only to get the same (or a slightly lower) score.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 am

masochist wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The only 3 school I still care about - H: I probably won't get in without a higher score anyway; Y: probably already either in faculty review or the reject pile; S: straight up won't take Feb score (so I guess they won't care if I retake?). I guess there isn't any downside other than the time and effort. I really rather not do it, but I would love to receive a bit more money and/or get into one of the 3...

Decisions... Thing is to improve upon a 170 requires quite a bit of luck, and I am just not sure how it would go. I guess I have 10 days to do a couple of prep tests and see how it goes?


I wouldn't have the heart to do this. Luck favors regression to the mean, and I can't imagine how much it would suck to study for that obnoxious test one more time only to get the same (or a slightly lower) score.


Hence why I am not running to sign up after being held by Harvard. I am more or less content with what I have - I do wish I got more from UT, but I can't use it to match anyway. I just keep thinking what if I get 2-3 more questions right? I took the Feb test last time, and it's tough not to know if I really did perform well or poorly.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby innernetp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:06 am

masochist wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The only 3 school I still care about - H: I probably won't get in without a higher score anyway; Y: probably already either in faculty review or the reject pile; S: straight up won't take Feb score (so I guess they won't care if I retake?). I guess there isn't any downside other than the time and effort. I really rather not do it, but I would love to receive a bit more money and/or get into one of the 3...

Decisions... Thing is to improve upon a 170 requires quite a bit of luck, and I am just not sure how it would go. I guess I have 10 days to do a couple of prep tests and see how it goes?


I wouldn't have the heart to do this. Luck favors regression to the mean, and I can't imagine how much it would suck to study for that obnoxious test one more time only to get the same (or a slightly lower) score.


I don't disagree, but there's also the idea that if you don't see what you'd get again you'll always wonder if you could have done better... which could be why I'm taking it again. :-) I already have this nagging inferiority complex about my 167. I feel like if I take it again (having really studied albeit only for a month) and get the same score, I will know for sure that I am just a 167 and that that is okay.

User avatar
emhellmer
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:53 am

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby emhellmer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 am

masochist wrote:
r6_philly wrote:The only 3 school I still care about - H: I probably won't get in without a higher score anyway; Y: probably already either in faculty review or the reject pile; S: straight up won't take Feb score (so I guess they won't care if I retake?). I guess there isn't any downside other than the time and effort. I really rather not do it, but I would love to receive a bit more money and/or get into one of the 3...

Decisions... Thing is to improve upon a 170 requires quite a bit of luck, and I am just not sure how it would go. I guess I have 10 days to do a couple of prep tests and see how it goes?


I wouldn't have the heart to do this. Luck favors regression to the mean, and I can't imagine how much it would suck to study for that obnoxious test one more time only to get the same (or a slightly lower) score.


True, which is why I elected not to re-take even though my score was lower than I expected. Near the end of the test I started feeling very badly, like I had a sugar crash or something. I decided against canceling my score (because I didn't want to go through all of the bother of studying again). However, when I reviewed it later, I saw that I had missed 8 questions on the last logical reasoning section (unheard of for me, even in my initial diagnostic PT). I figured that, were it not for the sugar crash, I might have scored 3-5 points higher. At the time I was ignorant and thought "164 is not THAT much different than 168." Silly me. I thought about retaking in Dec., but was worried about doing WORSE. At this point I feel like I have nothing to lose, given that most schools are looking at the score submitted with your application. I'd imagine that they won't care as much about a lower score at this point, but a higher score might help in the scholarship negotiation process :D

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:29 am

I've been in at Texas for a while. Jus mulling over my options.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 am

Burgstaller04 wrote:I've been in at Texas for a while. Jus mulling over my options.


UM!

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 am

r6_philly wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:I've been in at Texas for a while. Jus mulling over my options.
UM!
Haha. Yep that's one of the options. I just don't know if it's worth the extra $40k over UT if I am sure I want to end up in Texas anyway.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, afenthiko1, airwrecka, Baby Gaga, carlos_danger, cyclawps, danid83, Google Adsense [Bot], hamburg, jer0689, kneetap, Leliana, nerdylsat, NotAGolfer, patrickkpaul, phelpsy, sonyco, texteach and 28 guests