IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cade McNown

Silver

Re: IN AT The University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by Cade McNown » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Received the Dean's Letter today along with another viewbook. My favorite part: "One reputable national magazine even ranked Austin as the 'sexiest' city in the United States, but I don't plan to touch that." LOL...except you just did Deanie baby. Might as well say "hey former frat bros, our girls are the hottest and the sluttiest. I'm not going to touch on that...(but with any luck you will, so come to Texas!)"

Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.

GotYourselfAStewGoin

New

Post by GotYourselfAStewGoin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.
USC knows all about lateral transfers to Texas, am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps-L0qJS10#t=2m25s

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Honorable mention: "We have hired 15 new tenured and tenure-track faculty...Among this group are the former dean of the USC School of Law...". LOL again. Suck it Trojans.
USC knows all about lateral transfers to Texas, am I right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cps-L0qJS10#t=2m25s
:)

ugbadger

New

Post by ugbadger » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 am

There really aren't any hotels in the campus area. The AT&T Conference Center is on campus and super expensive, and there's a Doubletree on MLK and 35 which is probably a 15-20 minute walk from the school. You can catch a bus to campus from just about anywhere, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ms1987

New

Post by ms1987 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:48 pm

ugbadger wrote:I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks
Hey ugbadger, I'm also planning on making the trip out around that time and to save money on hotels, I decided to look up places on Airbnb.com...people basically rent out their rooms/apartments for pretty cheap. I found a girl renting out her 1 bedroom apartment for around $50 a few blocks from campus...kitchen and everything! I've never travelled this way, but I've had a few friends do it and they say it's definitely worth it. We'll see!

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:01 pm

I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Edit: Flying into San Antonio brings it down to a more reasonable $300.

ugbadger

New

Post by ugbadger » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:59 pm

ms1987 wrote:
ugbadger wrote:I'm going to the ASD on March 24-25. I was wondering if anybody had any information about what hotels (preferably cheap) are in a location accessible to campus for someone without a car. Thanks
Hey ugbadger, I'm also planning on making the trip out around that time and to save money on hotels, I decided to look up places on Airbnb.com...people basically rent out their rooms/apartments for pretty cheap. I found a girl renting out her 1 bedroom apartment for around $50 a few blocks from campus...kitchen and everything! I've never travelled this way, but I've had a few friends do it and they say it's definitely worth it. We'll see!
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:04 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Invictus, Where are you flying from? There's no way that should be so high. What sites were you searching? Remember that a lot of discount airlines don't appear on the global search results from sites like Bing, Kayak, Orbitz...etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

I'll be visiting UT next week - SO excited! I'm not sure who I should contact about this, though... I'd like to meet with someone from career services or maybe student aid. Basically I want to get down to exactly what's happening with employment at UT - if I should go, what's a reasonable expectation for summer work and landing a job in mid or big law in Austin.

I'm having serious trouble deciding between full freight UT versus a big scholarship at UNC. Do you guys have ideas?

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:I was excited that UT offered me a travel stipend, until I found out the flight alone will cost $500. Why is it absurdly high? (I'm flying to Michigan for $270)

Invictus, Where are you flying from? There's no way that should be so high. What sites were you searching? Remember that a lot of discount airlines don't appear on the global search results from sites like Bing, Kayak, Orbitz...etc.
NVM, saw you're from Florida.
Jet Blue has following round trip fares leaving March 23, returning March 25:
Orlando-Austin: $254.40
Ft. Lauderdale-Austin: $345.40

Southwest:
Orlando-Austin: $263.60
Ft. Laud-Austin: $312.30
Tampa-Austin: $369.80

Don't know exactly where you're coming from but my guess is that you can do much better than $500.

Aside: Frontier Airlines also flies cheap to Austin which is great for those of you coming from Denver or Kansas City especially.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm

http://www.zilkerkitefestival.com/

This is happening on Sunday in Austin!

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:26 am

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to the ASW at the end of the month, will those of you going take pictures? I would greatly appreciate it, my decision is down to two schools and I would like firsthand accounts of the school and surrounding area. Thank you!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:36 am

I'll show up in Austin tomorrow with my momma bear :-D. I'm excited to tour around the city with her and see what's what.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

Hahah, my phone kept cutting out cuz I was on the train and I kept having to call him back. Super embarrassing to hang up on someone trying to give you free stuff! :oops:
The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm

awilson11 wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:Just got a call from Sam Riley offering to pay for my flight! Yayayayyyyy!

The whole flight? Or just the $200 stipend they offered for showing up by April 8?
The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:

The whole flight. Apparently an alum has connections with 2 airlines, so they have a certain number of free flights to offer up to people. I think it also helps that I'm coming from a major city (DC).
I'm coming from Los Angeles so it's not the major city issue for me.

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:46 pm

whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:

I'm so jealous. :-\

So I'm in Austin and it is everything I thought it would be! So great! Anybody have any advice for things I MUST do tomorrow and the next day? I'm going to check out some farmers markets and hopefully some open houses...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 am

Go to the kite festival on Sunday!

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:48 am

innernetp wrote:
whirledpeas86 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:

I'm so jealous. :-\

So I'm in Austin and it is everything I thought it would be! So great! Anybody have any advice for things I MUST do tomorrow and the next day? I'm going to check out some farmers markets and hopefully some open houses...
go kayaking in zilker park

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

springfever

New

Post by springfever » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

In!!!! I pulled all my apps from last year, retook the LSAT. Glad I did. Last year I was looking at SMU...now it's AUSTIN!

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:13 am

springfever wrote:In!!!! I pulled all my apps from last year, retook the LSAT. Glad I did. Last year I was looking at SMU...now it's AUSTIN!
Congrats!

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:24 am

I'll be at the ASD on the 24th and 25th. Flying in from Ohio, and ya, it was like 390 for the cheapest flight. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

RxBandit26

New

Post by RxBandit26 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”