UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:48 pm

ads222 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
ads222 wrote:wait wait wait. I have what may be good-ish news for the huddled masses yearning not to get WLed at UVA.

I've also been operating under the assumption that RD acceptances are a freak occurrence, and yeah, they do seem less likely than elsewhere. BUT I can't live under the cloud of pessimism that was forming in my head, so I did some looking around on LSN.

These numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they are pretty close: there were ~148 acceptances total last year. About 45, maybe slightly fewer, were ED.

That means it's not as bleak as we (or at least I) thought, and that there are some acceptances....which will all go to us, duh.

edit: and because there's not enough information and so I don't totally wreck my newfound positivity, I'm going to assume that plenty of these acceptances were OOS.

And not URM, oh and LSN is a full look into all accepted applicants at each school.

What a perfect world

uh, few of them were URMs. Twelve or thirteen, actually. But thanks for your informed and polite answer.

Okay, and how many were in state? and how many acceptances didnt post on LSN? i know i didnt...

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:50 pm

ads222 wrote:
ads222 wrote:wait wait wait. I have what may be good-ish news for the huddled masses yearning not to get WLed at UVA.

I've also been operating under the assumption that RD acceptances are a freak occurrence, and yeah, they do seem less likely than elsewhere. BUT I can't live under the cloud of pessimism that was forming in my head, so I did some looking around on LSN.

These numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they are pretty close: there were ~148 acceptances total last year. About 45, maybe slightly fewer, were ED.

That means it's not as bleak as we (or at least I) thought, and that there are some acceptances....which will all go to us, duh.

edit: and because there's not enough information and so I don't totally wreck my newfound positivity, I'm going to assume that plenty of these acceptances were OOS.

And not URM, oh and LSN is a full look into all accepted applicants at each school.

What a perfect world

uh, few of them were URMs. Twelve or thirteen, actually. But thanks for your informed and polite answer.

Okay, and how many were in state? and how many acceptances didnt post on LSN? i know i didnt...

Jesus H Christ. Just because you gamed the system and got into UVA doesn't mean you have a license to be dismissive and rude. We're all aware that we don't have that great of a shot of getting in, but it's nice to see that it's not completely hopeless.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Jesus H Christ. Just because you gamed the system and got into UVA doesn't mean you have a license to be dismissive and rude. We're all aware that we don't have that great of a shot of getting in, but it's nice to see that it's not completely hopeless.[/quote]

Its rude to use his name in vain.

Anyways, you got into NYU, so your profile says. If you have NYU numbers, then your only real worry is YP. Would you take UVA over NYU? or are you just looking for money. I was just playing around because people rely on LSN a little to much/boredom. You may be a little uptight for UVA anyways, have fun at NYU :)

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Its rude to use his name in vain.

Anyways, you got into NYU, so your profile says. If you have NYU numbers, then your only real worry is YP. Would you take UVA over NYU? or are you just looking for money. I was just playing around because people rely on LSN a little to much/boredom. You may be a little uptight for UVA anyways, have fun at NYU :)

Uptight > rude

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:58 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Jesus H Christ. Just because you gamed the system and got into UVA doesn't mean you have a license to be dismissive and rude. We're all aware that we don't have that great of a shot of getting in, but it's nice to see that it's not completely hopeless.

Anyways, you got into NYU, so your profile says. If you have NYU numbers, then your only real worry is YP. Would you take UVA over NYU? or are you just looking for money. I was just playing around because people rely on LSN a little to much/boredom. You may be a little uptight for UVA anyways, have fun at NYU :)[/quote]

I would take UVA over NYU everything being equal. My numbers are NOT NYU numbers, and my getting in was pretty much a fluke, so I'm not looking for money from UVA. I visited a few months back, and I loved the feel; the idea of going to school in a big city makes me feel a little ADD-inclined haha. But yeah, you're lucky to be in.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 pm

ads222 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Jesus H Christ. Just because you gamed the system and got into UVA doesn't mean you have a license to be dismissive and rude. We're all aware that we don't have that great of a shot of getting in, but it's nice to see that it's not completely hopeless.

I would take UVA over NYU everything being equal. My numbers are NOT NYU numbers, and my getting in was pretty much a fluke, so I'm not looking for money from UVA. I visited a few months back, and I loved the feel; the idea of going to school in a big city makes me feel a little ADD-inclined haha. But yeah, you're lucky to be in.[/quote]

hmmmm..... why no ED then? :/ it is an amazing school and atmosphere.

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:01 pm

hmmmm..... why no ED then? :/ it is an amazing school and atmosphere.

I ED'd for undergrad and, while I loved my experience, I kind of wish I hadn't applied ED. So I didn't want to feel that way about law school too. And now that I've totally disrupted the flow of this thread, back to UVA. If I don't end up in Charlottesville, I'll really miss not having a Raising Canes. So good.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:13 am

Dear AssumptionRequired,
Please withdraw from NYU and give me your spot in the class. KThanks.

Sincerely,
Tipler4213

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 am

If it makes anyone feel better I've been regularly corresponding with the Dean of Adm and he said no RD applicants should expect to hear before January. He could be telling me whatever he wants but it seems that what he says is holding true. So, I wouldn't fret about the WL just yet.

Swanky

Postby Swanky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:52 am

DCLaw11 wrote:If it makes anyone feel better I've been regularly corresponding with the Dean of Adm and he said no RD applicants should expect to hear before January. He could be telling me whatever he wants but it seems that what he says is holding true. So, I wouldn't fret about the WL just yet.

Thanks for the info. That's good to hear.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:If it makes anyone feel better I've been regularly corresponding with the Dean of Adm and he said no RD applicants should expect to hear before January. He could be telling me whatever he wants but it seems that what he says is holding true. So, I wouldn't fret about the WL just yet.

So today? lol

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:56 pm

So today? lol

Still not January yet...

ads222

Postby ads222 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:12 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Still not January yet...

In last year's thread there was something -- not quite a batch, but more than the usual trickle -- around January 20th. It definitely included a number of acceptances (including/mostly RD), don't remember if it also included WLs and rejections

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Jesus H Christ. Just because you gamed the system and got into UVA doesn't mean you have a license to be dismissive and rude. We're all aware that we don't have that great of a shot of getting in, but it's nice to see that it's not completely hopeless.

Depends on whom you're speaking to. For at least 20% of the USA, it's like saying "Easter H. Bunny!"--nobody cares. Although, maybe we should all just assume each individual we talk to is an uptight christian.

/derail

I have firm confidence that UVA will get back to us before...May. :lol:

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 am

T6Hopeful wrote:

So today? lol

Still not January yet...

It says BEFORE january lol and as you can see from my post, it was new years eve.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:13 am

DreamShake wrote:

Depends on whom you're speaking to. For at least 20% of the USA, it's like saying "Easter H. Bunny!"--nobody cares. Although, maybe we should all just assume each individual we talk to is an uptight christian.

/derail

I have firm confidence that UVA will get back to us before...May. :lol:

Hmmm well i hate to say it, but i am not the church going type. So uptight christian is not the right words, but yes christian indeed, as most sensible are :)

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 am

That's exciting that we may see movement soon! :)

Also, this page was pretty weird. :/

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 am

T6Hopeful wrote:

So today? lol

Still not January yet...

It says BEFORE january lol and as you can see from my post, it was new years eve.

Sorry, I guess I should've bolded a bigger phrase. I was trying to point out that he said "no" RD applicants should expect to hear before January, so NOT before January. Not that I would've minded a nice New Years Eve decision, haha.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 am

Hmmm well i hate to say it, but i am not the church going type. So uptight christian is not the right words, but yes christian indeed, as most sensible are :)

lol. I'm surprised--most TLSers seem either to be disinclined to bigotry or to restrain themselves from spouting it here. Clearly, you don't have that problem.

Not really saying much anyways, since 75% of the country is Christian. If you speak in absolutes, most American murderers, rapists, pedophiles, batterers, etc. also happen to be Christian. To be fair, though, that broad demographic probably wins those categories in relative terms, too.

ecarter22

Postby ecarter22 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Status checker changed today from 12/13 to 1/3. Anybody else with the same movement?

boushi

Postby boushi » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:51 pm

ecarter22 wrote:Status checker changed today from 12/13 to 1/3. Anybody else with the same movement?

My status just changed to 1/4 from it's original 11/3 date. I'm RD, OOS, and above both medians but didn't write a Why VA (though I will certainly write one if WL'd).

ebeth

Postby ebeth » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm

mine apparently changed from 12/9 to 12/29

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:57 pm

So, it's fairly normal to have a status date that's stuck in October, right? My status is 10/18, pending review, etc.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm

hanging at 9/23, OOS RD, looking forward to the waitlist!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 pm

TLSNYC wrote:So, it's fairly normal to have a status date that's stuck in October, right? My status is 10/18, pending review, etc.

10/26 here-- The people who had their status checkers change in November/December seemed to have either nothing happen or get a WL, Ding via e-mail. This may be different since we just got into January and they traditionally start releasing OOS decisions soon.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”