UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
danields

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby danields » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:11 am

sarahlawg wrote:
danields wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:just got my package from UVA...very nice! Nice notes from Dean Faulk and Dean Trujillo, too. I'm really liking Virginia!

you got your package on the Sunday after Christmas?

I don't know if it got there Friday or today, but I picked it up today. My apartment mail office was closed early Friday and of course yesterday.

Sorry, I am embarrassed about posting that. I was in a bad mood yesterday.

SisyphusHappy

Postby SisyphusHappy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Updated from File Complete, Pending Review/Decision 12/20 to the same thing on 12/28. Is that a good sign or bad sign?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:01 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:Updated from File Complete, Pending Review/Decision 12/20 to the same thing on 12/28. Is that a good sign or bad sign?

+1. Happened to me too.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Still no movement since 9/13. No idea what that means.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Still no movement since 9/13. No idea what that means.

Still no movement from 10/6 =(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 pm

jpk5372 wrote:

Mass waitlist coming soon.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Oh sweet thanks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:23 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Oh sweet thanks.

I was fortunate enough to be in one last year. LSN was drown by a sea of yellow over night.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... er=asc&p=8

Scroll down to the 2/8 decision date and beyond.

ETA there are over 10 170+ WL on 2/11. Watch it come.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:Oh sweet thanks.

I was fortunate enough to be in one last year. LSN was drown by a sea of yellow over night.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... er=asc&p=8

Scroll down to the 2/8 decision date and beyond.

ETA there are over 10 170+ WL on 2/11. Watch it come.

Great. I guess next year if I post here I will be another person claiming that OOS RD is an elaborate flame.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:37 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
Great. I guess next year if I post here I will be another person claiming that OOS RD is an elaborate flame.

People do get in, but they must have said something compelling or have strong ties. They want you to ED. It's easy to control yield and enrollment that way. They want to get clear or Duke and NU and looks like they are trying everything do game the rankings.

So while I don't say it's a flame, I don't expect to get in.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:

People do get in, but they must have said something compelling or have strong ties. They want you to ED. It's easy to control yield and enrollment that way. They want to get clear or Duke and NU and looks like they are trying everything do game the rankings.

So while I don't say it's a flame, I don't expect to get in.

r6_philly: crusher of hopes and dreams!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:43 pm

jpk5372 wrote:r6_philly UVa: crusher of hopes and dreams!

FTFY :|

rupret1

Postby rupret1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, but I'm wondering then if anyone even really takes a look at some of our applications. If its true that an updated status means that someone is looking at or reading your application (or that it is moving through the process), then a WL on my application would indicate to me that no one ever even read what I sent in, and that I wasted my time and money. I submitted on 10/6, went under review 10/21 (which is when all of the LSAC reports and things were received, I assume), and nothing has happened since.

I guess the frustrating part is that its mostly speculation. No one really knows what is going on with any of our applications except the people in the admissions office. I should have put a little GPS tracker on mine or something, so at least I'd know if it moved.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:r6_philly UVa: crusher of hopes and dreams!

FTFY :|

So sad but so true....

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:55 pm

UVA, the hardest and easiest T-14 to get into at the same time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 pm

rupret1 wrote:I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, but I'm wondering then if anyone even really takes a look at some of our applications. If its true that an updated status means that someone is looking at or reading your application (or that it is moving through the process), then a WL on my application would indicate to me that no one ever even read what I sent in, and that I wasted my time and money. I submitted on 10/6, went under review 10/21 (which is when all of the LSAC reports and things were received, I assume), and nothing has happened since.

I guess the frustrating part is that its mostly speculation. No one really knows what is going on with any of our applications except the people in the admissions office. I should have put a little GPS tracker on mine or something, so at least I'd know if it moved.

I thought I will have a better shot at it applying earlier this year. So I applied 9/22 and went UR 10/4. Nothing since. I speculate that since their ED process is later than other schools, they want to work through all the ED admits first then decide who to admit to round out the class. So there is a chance that many if not most of our files are just sitting in a "TBD" pile until after ED is finished. At which point, if the class is full, we all get WL, if not, a few will be admitted while others get WL.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:02 pm

Got all excited for more date updates...and I'm still at 12/6. Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone's date updated multiple times?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:13 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Got all excited for more date updates...and I'm still at 12/6. Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone's date updated multiple times?

I've updated 2-3 times. On or around 12/2, 12/22, 12/28. There may or may not have been more, I'm not sure. I try to limit status checks to once a week.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rupret1 wrote:I'm not trying to dispute what you're saying, but I'm wondering then if anyone even really takes a look at some of our applications. If its true that an updated status means that someone is looking at or reading your application (or that it is moving through the process), then a WL on my application would indicate to me that no one ever even read what I sent in, and that I wasted my time and money. I submitted on 10/6, went under review 10/21 (which is when all of the LSAC reports and things were received, I assume), and nothing has happened since.

I thought I will have a better shot at it applying earlier this year. So I applied 9/22 and went UR 10/4. Nothing since. I speculate that since their ED process is later than other schools, they want to work through all the ED admits first then decide who to admit to round out the class. So there is a chance that many if not most of our files are just sitting in a "TBD" pile until after ED is finished. At which point, if the class is full, we all get WL, if not, a few will be admitted while others get WL.

FWIW, a few OOS RD people have gotten in, including myself (with no Why UVA), so all hope is not lost.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:25 pm

sarahlawg wrote:FWIW, a few OOS RD people have gotten in, including myself (with no Why UVA), so all hope is not lost.

All hope is not lost, the percentage/odds are just very low. I would love to see the OOS selectivity rating from last year.

ETA: I acknowledged the few OOS RD admits above, it however does not chance the fate of the majority.

swimmergirl1303

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:17 pm

wow thats great sarahlawg! do you mind sharing your stats?

sarcasticswede

Postby sarcasticswede » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:FWIW, a few OOS RD people have gotten in, including myself (with no Why UVA), so all hope is not lost.

All hope is not lost, the percentage/odds are just very low. I would love to see the OOS selectivity rating from last year.

ETA: I acknowledged the few OOS RD admits above, it however does not chance the fate of the majority.

Still no movement for me, UR 10/21. I'm expecting a WL very soon considering I had no Why Virginia and clearly have significant ties to California. I only wish I'd realized ahead of time how hard it was going to be for OOS RD applicants to get in considering how many people deferred last year. Could've used my application fee on some post xmas sales or something : )

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:39 pm

wait wait wait. I have what may be good-ish news for the huddled masses yearning not to get WLed at UVA.

I've also been operating under the assumption that RD acceptances are a freak occurrence, and yeah, they do seem less likely than elsewhere. BUT I can't live under the cloud of pessimism that was forming in my head, so I did some looking around on LSN.

These numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they are pretty close: there were ~148 acceptances total last year. About 45, maybe slightly fewer, were ED.

That means it's not as bleak as we (or at least I) thought, and that there are some acceptances....which will all go to us, duh.

edit: and because there's not enough information and so I don't totally wreck my newfound positivity, I'm going to assume that plenty of these acceptances were OOS.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 pm

ads222 wrote:wait wait wait. I have what may be good-ish news for the huddled masses yearning not to get WLed at UVA.

I've also been operating under the assumption that RD acceptances are a freak occurrence, and yeah, they do seem less likely than elsewhere. BUT I can't live under the cloud of pessimism that was forming in my head, so I did some looking around on LSN.

These numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they are pretty close: there were ~148 acceptances total last year. About 45, maybe slightly fewer, were ED.

That means it's not as bleak as we (or at least I) thought, and that there are some acceptances....which will all go to us, duh.

edit: and because there's not enough information and so I don't totally wreck my newfound positivity, I'm going to assume that plenty of these acceptances were OOS.

And not URM, oh and LSN is a full look into all accepted applicants at each school.

What a perfect world

ads222

Postby ads222 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
ads222 wrote:wait wait wait. I have what may be good-ish news for the huddled masses yearning not to get WLed at UVA.

And not URM, oh and LSN is a full look into all accepted applicants at each school.

What a perfect world

uh, few of them were URMs. Twelve or thirteen, actually. But thanks for your informed and polite answer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”