UVa. Regular Decision Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hipstermafia

Silver

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm

i didn't think uva took anyone off the waitlist last cycle?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

hipstermafia wrote:i didn't think uva took anyone off the waitlist last cycle?
I don't think so either.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:26 pm

muppet263 wrote:For all those who've asked...

Resident.

LSAT: 175
GPA: 3.55

They also mentioned that a letter would follow shortly. Not sure if they call everyone, but if not - your letter could also be on the way!
um, if this person is http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kayljsh (numbers are the same)
then muppet263 is an ED

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:31 pm

hellome wrote:

Resident.

They also mentioned that a letter would follow shortly. Not sure if they call everyone, but if not - your letter could also be on the way!
um, if this person is http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kayljsh (numbers are the same)
then muppet263 is an ED
That person was also admitted before Oct 7th

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:39 pm

arism87 wrote:
hellome wrote:

Resident.

then muppet263 is an ED
That person was also admitted before Oct 7th
ooh dates are different, gotcha :)
i guess it HAS begun - maybe i didn't want to believe it :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Was stuck at pending review/decision on 10/18. Just turned to pending 11/4.

Man, my status checkers have been busy today.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:27 pm

No update for me.. Still pending 10/04. Sadness

yellowmellow

New

Post by yellowmellow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm

I was pending 10/04 then I updates to pending 10/25 and have been stuck there since.

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:38 pm

I've been stuck at Pending Review/Decision since 9/30 :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:42 pm

almostfamous wrote:I've been stuck at Pending Review/Decision since 9/30 :?
9/20 here!

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm actually kind of hoping this means a longer turnaround for my decision...I'm expecting to hear back from Michigan (where I ED-d) end of November-early December and if I get deferred I'm going to ED UVA. In retrospect, maybe should have waited a bit longer to send in the UVA app :(

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:12 pm

almostfamous wrote:I'm actually kind of hoping this means a longer turnaround for my decision...I'm expecting to hear back from Michigan (where I ED-d) end of November-early December and if I get deferred I'm going to ED UVA. In retrospect, maybe should have waited a bit longer to send in the UVA app :(
Anyone know if you can switch an RD to an ED late in the cycle? How long would this option typically last?

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:19 pm

I think you can as long as you haven't received a decision from that school, it isn't past the school's ED deadline, and you aren't under binding ED contract to another school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:58 pm

why is uva slower this year :?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 pm

hellome wrote:why is uva slower this year :?
I think they made some kind of change in the way ED is handled.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
I think they made some kind of change in the way ED is handled.
makes me want to puke

thank god it's almost the weekend
and i have no choice but to do other things besides status checking
:oops:

edit: verb tense...

sarcasticswede

New

Post by sarcasticswede » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm

It's my understanding that they are taking significantly less people as a result of having a higher than anticipated yield last year (they offered money to those who were willing to defer a year because they ended up with that many more people than they expected if i'm not mistaken). this could be a reason for the slowdown.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 pm

sarcasticswede wrote:
It's my understanding that they are taking significantly less people as a result of having a higher than anticipated yield last year (they offered money to those who were willing to defer a year because they ended up with that many more people than they expected if i'm not mistaken). this could be a reason for the slowdown.
Maybe they are going to hold all of us til we finally cave and submit ED forms.. lolz

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 am

sarcasticswede wrote:It's my understanding that they are taking significantly less people as a result of having a higher than anticipated yield last year (they offered money to those who were willing to defer a year because they ended up with that many more people than they expected if i'm not mistaken). this could be a reason for the slowdown.
So.... a number of spots in the class of 2014 have already been filled by deferees from last cycle. UVA seems to be taking all ED applicants with an LSAT or GPA at or above the median (obviously seeking to optimize the yield rate), assuming the other number isn't embarrassingly below their 25th percentile. They also allocate 40% of the seats in each class to VA residents. How many students matriculate per year? Around 375?

I think RD out-of staters are screwed.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am

dbrddr wrote:
sarcasticswede wrote:It's my understanding that they are taking significantly less people as a result of having a higher than anticipated yield last year (they offered money to those who were willing to defer a year because they ended up with that many more people than they expected if i'm not mistaken). this could be a reason for the slowdown.
So.... a number of spots in the class of 2014 have already been filled by deferees from last cycle. UVA seems to be taking all ED applicants with an LSAT or GPA at or above the median (obviously seeking to optimize the yield rate), assuming the other number isn't embarrassingly below their 25th percentile. They also allocate 40% of the seats in each class to VA residents. How many students matriculate per year? Around 375?

I think RD out-of staters are screwed.
I think they've actually wait-listed a couple of people who were above one median and not too far below the 25% for the other.

But yeah, I imagine it's cyclical: the more people ED, the more screwed RD out-of-staters are, the more people ED...

vsl89

Bronze

Post by vsl89 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 am

Does UVA's in-state requirement (like x% of class must be from in state) make any of you a little uneasy about attending? I always wanted to go to a school that functioned on a meritocracy, and I feel the fact that people get a leg up in admissions based on where they live makes me feel like I am going to a school where not all my peers would deserve to be there. Don't get me wrong -- UVA is a great school, admissions is competitive, even for in-state folks, and I would love to attend,but I just don't like the thought of having as classmates people who wouldn't have otherwise been there if not for their residency. (I realize this problem isn't just limited to state residencies, but also URM status,etc. but I just want to focus on the former.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 am

vsl89 wrote:Does UVA's in-state requirement (like x% of class must be from in state) make any of you a little uneasy about attending? I always wanted to go to a school that functioned on a meritocracy, and I feel the fact that people get a leg up in admissions based on where they live makes me feel like I am going to a school where not all my peers would deserve to be there. Don't get me wrong -- UVA is a great school, admissions is competitive, even for in-state folks, and I would love to attend,but I just don't like the thought of having as classmates people who wouldn't have otherwise been there if not for their residency. (I realize this problem isn't just limited to state residencies, but also URM status,etc. but I just want to focus on the former.)
This is dumb, UVA is a state school. State schools are often given funding from their state government. Many state schools have requirements for a %age of class that must be in state. If you don't like it then go to a private school!

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:07 pm

vsl89 wrote:Does UVA's in-state requirement (like x% of class must be from in state) make any of you a little uneasy about attending? I always wanted to go to a school that functioned on a meritocracy, and I feel the fact that people get a leg up in admissions based on where they live makes me feel like I am going to a school where not all my peers would deserve to be there. Don't get me wrong -- UVA is a great school, admissions is competitive, even for in-state folks, and I would love to attend,but I just don't like the thought of having as classmates people who wouldn't have otherwise been there if not for their residency. (I realize this problem isn't just limited to state residencies, but also URM status,etc. but I just want to focus on the former.)
This might be a good time to completely abandon the myth of meritocracy. No one gets where they got on their own.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Lol.. strangest thing Ive read this week.

pulandasu

Bronze

Post by pulandasu » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 pm

So are RD decisions coming down the pipe this week or no?

I know there was one RD admit (in-state) in the posts above, but why isn't anyone else reporting decision status?

The wait is just killing me...

It looks like from LSN that last year, the first RD admit was also 11/03/09 and another batch started flowing in 11/05/09...

I am an out-of-state, but hoping to hear the good news soon... (of course, crossing fingers)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”