UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arthur

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby arthur » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:33 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:Just got a ding email. Status checker has been stuck at "pending review/decision" since 11/15.

Sorry to hear that as well :(

If you don't mind me asking, has your status date always been 11/15 or did it update to 11/15 from an earlier date?

Pending review/decision 11/2-->11/15

if you don't mind telling us, can you share your numbers? and if you wrote why uva statement?

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:34 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:thought I should share a piece of the email the ding came with (it looks like the odds this year for people out of state may be a bit more brutal than usual):
"We expect to receive over 7,500 nonresident applications and 650 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. This is likely to be the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law. This is especially true for nonresidents."

It ends....
"I hope you excuse the informality of this communication, but I thought you might appreciate speed over formality. In addition, we are communicating almost exclusively via email now in an attempt to reduce our reliance on paper."

Good luck to everyone else!

I think someone already did this statistics (r6_philly maybe?), but doing it again to show the odds of getting in as OOS, non-URM

OOS probability
[350 seats] * 60% (% of ~OOS) / 31% yield rate (based off LSN statistics) = 677 acceptances for OOS
677 / 7,500 applicants = 9% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

IS probability
[350 seats] * 40% (% of ~IS) / 31% yield rate (based off LSN statistics) = 451 acceptances for IS
451 / 650 applicants = 70% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

wait... IS probabilility can't be right, can it? what am i doing wrong?

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:36 pm

pulandasu wrote:
LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:thought I should share a piece of the email the ding came with (it looks like the odds this year for people out of state may be a bit more brutal than usual):
"We expect to receive over 7,500 nonresident applications and 650 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. This is likely to be the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law. This is especially true for nonresidents."

It ends....
"I hope you excuse the informality of this communication, but I thought you might appreciate speed over formality. In addition, we are communicating almost exclusively via email now in an attempt to reduce our reliance on paper."

I think someone already did this statistics (r6_philly maybe?), but doing it again to show the odds of getting in as OOS, non-URM

OOS probability
[350 seats] * 60% (% of ~OOS) / 31% yield rate (based off LSN statistics) = 677 acceptances for OOS
677 / 7,500 = 9% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

IS probability
[350 seats] * 40% (% of ~IS) / 31% yield rate (based off LSN statistics) = 451 acceptances for IS
451 / 600 = 70% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

Wow, that makes me feel good about getting in even though I ED'd. Your not taking the ED factor into consideration, so that number should be even lower for RD

J. Cheever Loophole

Postby J. Cheever Loophole » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Another email ding here. 165 URM (International degree, so no GPA as far as they are concerned... but 3.8+) No Why UVA essay. Out of state. Out of luck. Congrats and best to those who got in and those who are still contending!

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:39 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
pulandasu wrote:

It ends....

OOS probability
677 / 7,500 = 9% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

IS probability
451 / 600 = 70% chance, not taking GPA and LSAT into account

Wow, that makes me feel good about getting in even though I ED'd. Your not taking the ED factor into consideration, so that number should be even lower for RD

Yeah, I'm making a boat load of assumptions
1) ED factor
2) yield rate (which I would think it's probably lower for IS) -> (raises the %)
3) YP
4) GPA / LSAT

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm

pulandasu wrote:OOS probability

IS probability

Well, you haven't considered that UVA will probably fill at least half of its incoming class through ED. An OOS applicant drawn randomly from the applicant pool may have a 9% chance of getting in, but ED OOSers with one number above either UVA's GPA or LSAT median are essentially locks, so the OOS divisor (677) should be substantially lower.

Edit: icouldbuyu beat me to it.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm

dbrddr wrote:

IS probability

Well, you haven't considered that UVA will probably fill at least half of its incoming class through ED. An OOS applicant drawn randomly from the applicant pool may have a 9% chance of getting in, but ED OOSers with one number above either UVA's GPA or LSAT median are essentially locks, so the OOS divisor (677) should be substantially lower.

Yeah, if I have time today, I may go to LSN and calculate the ratio of OOS ED to RD to get a better estimate... but basically, as a OOS, non-URM, RD is pretty damn hard to get in (especially, if you didn't write a Why UVA)

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:47 pm

pulandasu wrote:
dbrddr wrote:

IS probability

Yeah, if I have time today, I may go to LSN and calculate the ratio of OOS ED to RD to get a better estimate... but basically, as a OOS, non-URM, RD is pretty damn hard to get in (especially, if you didn't write a Why UVA)

I'm actually curious how that number would compare to HYS

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm

I think OOS applicants can read a lot from this paragraph on the UVa page on this site:

top-law-schools.com wrote:Still, there are no special considerations given to Virginia residents who do not meet the school’s high LSAT and GPA standards. A sizable number of highly qualified applicants live in Virginia, and Trujillo lets it be known that “the medians between the pools are not statistically distinguishable.” This has led him to “joke that getting in…is ridiculously difficult (for nonresidents) rather than just being plain hard (for residents).”

Since the pools are not statistically different in terms of numbers, clearly OOS applicants need something else to differentiate their app. Say applying ED, a Why UVa essay, significant work experience, or anything else that makes them stand out. Numbers alone - unless you're above 75th on both may not be sufficient.

onepass

Postby onepass » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Given that they basically granted everyone in the world a fee waiver and they have a pretty basic application, it must be crazy for the admissions office.

cherry17

Postby cherry17 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm

Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't come back to update you yesterday, but yes the call meant that I was accepted! Woohooo! He was very nice and we talked for a little while about why he wanted me at virginia and what he liked about my application.

To answer any questions you might have: Regular Decision, out-of-state (Pennsylvania), straight from undergrad, 167, 4.0.

My status on their website still says File Complete/Pending Review or whatever, so it hasn't changed. I went complete on 11/7 and got the call yesterday, 12/7.

Good luck to all of you!

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

cherry17 wrote:Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't come back to update you yesterday, but yes the call meant that I was accepted! Woohooo!

Congrats on the acceptance and thanks for letting us all know.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Email ding. 3.0/175

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:53 pm

condolences :( I'm scared to check my email now...

kch3684

Postby kch3684 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Ding via email 3.1 170 OOS wasn't expecting admission offer but 1st ding of the year blech

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Every day that passes, I get more and more confused by UVA's admissions process. At least I haven't gotten the ding email yet, but it seems like it's only hitting OOS splitters at this point...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm still alive! But this can't last long. OOS RD Splitter? Yeah, here comes the ding...

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Please let me survive this round of dings! OOS RD URM Splitter / wrote a Why UVA

To the people who received a ding - my condolences. Surely you will find a suitable alternative.

Also, to those who were dinged: did your status date change at all?

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:32 pm

Dwigt wrote:Please let me survive this round of dings! OOS RD URM Splitter / wrote a Why UVA

To the people who received a ding - my condolences. Surely you will find a suitable alternative.

Your status changes to something along the lines of "Application Denied"...I don't remember exactly because I deleted UVA's status checker from my bookmarks after I was dinged haha

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:35 pm

almostfamous wrote:
Dwigt wrote:Please let me survive this round of dings! OOS RD URM Splitter / wrote a Why UVA

Your status changes to something along the lines of "Application Denied"...I don't remember exactly because I deleted UVA's status checker from my bookmarks after I was dinged haha

I would have too (I did when I got the ding from Cornell), but I was actually asking about complete dates before the ding email came. For instance some people were at, say, 9/30, and then they updated to 12/6...

I should have been more clear in the first question.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 pm

are 12/6ers being dinged?

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Dwigt wrote:
almostfamous wrote:

I would have too (I did when I got the ding from Cornell), but I was actually asking about complete dates before the ding email came. For instance some people were at, say, 9/30, and then they updated to 12/6...

yep, I was at 9/30 that morning, then when I got the email I checked and the date had updated to 12/3.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm

cherry17 wrote:Hey guys!

Sorry I didn't come back to update you yesterday, but yes the call meant that I was accepted! Woohooo! He was very nice and we talked for a little while about why he wanted me at virginia and what he liked about my application.

To answer any questions you might have: Regular Decision, out-of-state (Pennsylvania), straight from undergrad, 167, 4.0.

My status on their website still says File Complete/Pending Review or whatever, so it hasn't changed. I went complete on 11/7 and got the call yesterday, 12/7.

Good luck to all of you!

Interesting- I thought this was just a myth. Real question: Why even bother with a status checker at all?

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Interesting- I thought this was just a myth. Real question: Why even bother with a status checker at all?

the same reason you give cigarettes to people in front of a firing squad

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:41 pm

almostfamous wrote:
Dwigt wrote:
almostfamous wrote:

yep, I was at 9/30 that morning, then when I got the email I checked and the date had updated to 12/3.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out what not being updated means!

Good luck with the rest of your cycle!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”