UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby 4102011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:39 pm

bdubs wrote:
kk19131 wrote:WAITLISTED


....BY EMAIL 2 MINS AGO.

:lol:


For those who are hearing back, what were your submit/complete dates?


This! & are you guys OOS?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby kk19131 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:40 pm

Submitted: 9/19
Complete 9/23, 10/4
Waitlist 12/2

...PA resident

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:43 pm

kk19131 wrote:Submitted: 9/19
Complete 9/23, 10/4
Waitlist 12/2

...PA resident


Thanks. Looks like they are starting to make decisions on really early submissions

User avatar
AdamAndSteve
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby AdamAndSteve » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Ding

Under 25s, but URM so I had to throw my hat in the ring.

10/27...11/8...12/2 ding

Edit: OOS
Last edited by AdamAndSteve on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:48 pm

dbrddr wrote:pending/complete since 9/28... hoping for some action soon!


Same... Is this the final status before a decision is made, or is there an "under review" status? I wish law schools would conform to a universal standard.

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby GentlemanJim » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Waitlisted via email. Darn.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm

mrmangs wrote:
dbrddr wrote:pending/complete since 9/28... hoping for some action soon!


Same... Is this the final status before a decision is made, or is there an "under review" status? I wish law schools would conform to a universal standard.


No UR for UVA.

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 pm

mrmangs wrote:
dbrddr wrote:pending/complete since 9/28... hoping for some action soon!


Same... Is this the final status before a decision is made, or is there an "under review" status? I wish law schools would conform to a universal standard.


No under review status. You stay at "Complete Pending Review/Decision" until you get your decision.

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby 4102011 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:51 pm

So someone who got WL'd said that this was part of the e-mail:

More specifically, we expect to receive over 7,500 non-resident applications for 60% of the seats, and approximately 650 resident applications for the other 40%, making this a very competitive year for every applicant.


Importantly, you should know that we have been very conservative (even more so than in recent years) with our offers this year in anticipation of utilizing the waitlist.


I am looking forward to my own WL e-mail! Arghhh.

ivantheterbl
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby ivantheterbl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I submitted Nov. 1, went complete a few days after-- I'm really glad I got in, but based on reading this thread closely quite surprised! Maybe the Why UVA really helped, idk?? Best of luck to everyone else!!!!

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:59 pm

ivantheterbl wrote:I submitted Nov. 1, went complete a few days after-- I'm really glad I got in, but based on reading this thread closely quite surprised! Maybe the Why UVA really helped, idk?? Best of luck to everyone else!!!!


URM or extreme NT?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm

"We expect to receive nearly 8,000 nonresident applications and 650 resident applications for the 350 seats in the entering class. This is likely to be the most difficult year on record in which to gain admission to Virginia Law. This is especially true for nonresidents. "

Applied 9/07 which was the biggest mistake I made this cycle so far, since I was planning on EDing UVA if waitlisted at Penn. Oh well looks like GTown if Penn doesn't work out

Edit: That quote is from the rejection email

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby trudat15 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
dulcatis wrote:So someone who got WL'd said that this was part of the e-mail:

More specifically, we expect to receive over 7,500 non-resident applications for 60% of the seats, and approximately 650 resident applications for the other 40%, making this a very competitive year for every applicant.


Importantly, you should know that we have been very conservative (even more so than in recent years) with our offers this year in anticipation of utilizing the waitlist.


I am looking forward to my own WL e-mail! Arghhh.


So....

In-State: 650 competing for 148 spots (~22% of applicants get accepted)
Out-of-State: 7500 competing for 222 spots (~3% of applicants get accepted)

Sucks to be from a state other than VA, huh?


You mean 22% and 3% matriculate, whereas the acceptance rate HAS to be higher, right? Please, or I'm screwed. Can their YP policy really that good?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby kk19131 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Does anyone know how they prioritize those on the waitlist?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby bdubs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 pm

kk19131 wrote:Does anyone know how they prioritize those on the waitlist?


Median maintenance?

User avatar
mrmangs
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby mrmangs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
dulcatis wrote:So someone who got WL'd said that this was part of the e-mail:

More specifically, we expect to receive over 7,500 non-resident applications for 60% of the seats, and approximately 650 resident applications for the other 40%, making this a very competitive year for every applicant.


Importantly, you should know that we have been very conservative (even more so than in recent years) with our offers this year in anticipation of utilizing the waitlist.


I am looking forward to my own WL e-mail! Arghhh.


So....

In-State: 650 competing for 148 spots (~22% of applicants get accepted)
Out-of-State: 7500 competing for 222 spots (~3% of applicants get accepted)

Sucks to be from a state other than VA, huh?


You mean 22% and 3% matriculate, whereas the acceptance rate HAS to be higher, right? Please, or I'm screwed. Can their YP policy really that good?


Yeah, I think you must be right. Still rough though.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Somehow i'm still pending/complete 9/23, i feel as if i'm headed to the waitlist of doom but no e-mail yet. I give it another 5 minutes.

User avatar
Entchen
Posts: 722
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby Entchen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
dulcatis wrote:So someone who got WL'd said that this was part of the e-mail:

More specifically, we expect to receive over 7,500 non-resident applications for 60% of the seats, and approximately 650 resident applications for the other 40%, making this a very competitive year for every applicant.


Importantly, you should know that we have been very conservative (even more so than in recent years) with our offers this year in anticipation of utilizing the waitlist.


I am looking forward to my own WL e-mail! Arghhh.


So....

In-State: 650 competing for 148 spots (~22% of applicants get accepted)
Out-of-State: 7500 competing for 222 spots (~3% of applicants get accepted)

Sucks to be from a state other than VA, huh?
'

Crap. What was I thinking? I moved from one house in DC to a different house in DC last Feb...literally ONE MILE from VA.

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby trudat15 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
trudat15 wrote:You mean 22% and 3% matriculate, whereas the acceptance rate HAS to be higher, right? Please, or I'm screwed. Can their YP policy really that good?


Yeah, I think you must be right. Still rough though.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I just popped my head in and did quick calculations.

That would be for matriculating students. Presumably, UVA admits students who do not matriculate. Still, those are not great odds for OOS candidates.



Yeah, if 22% in state matriculate, that means they are accepting over 30% of applicants in state (just a guess), whereas with the 3% OOS, they can probably get away with accepting 10% or so and getting anyone else off the WL. Rough indeed.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Entchen wrote:Crap. What was I thinking? I moved from one house in DC to a different house in DC last Feb...literally ONE MILE from VA.

and i moved from VA to DC, we are not the brightest :)

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:21 pm

FYI, I know this has been posted before in here, UVA did not take anyone off of the waitlist last year. They actually offered scholarships to some students to defer for the year and begin in 2011.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Hm, this is strange. I first submitted in early November, but asked all my schools to wait for my second LOR to arrive. It was finally processed by LSAC yesterday. I see my status for UVA is "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision," but my status date is 11/3. UVA requires two letters, so my file couldn't have been complete without the one that just arrived, but the date reflects when they first received my app. Anyone know why this might be? Am I actually under review, or not?

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:23 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Hm, this is strange. I first submitted in early November, but asked all my schools to wait for my second LOR to arrive. It was finally processed by LSAC yesterday. I see my status for UVA is "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision," but my status date is 11/3. UVA requires two letters, so my file couldn't have been complete without the one that just arrived, but the date reflects when they first received my app. Anyone know why this might be? Am I actually under review, or not?

Call the office

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby trudat15 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:That would be for matriculating students. Presumably, UVA admits students who do not matriculate. Still, those are not great odds for OOS candidates.



Yeah, if 22% in state matriculate, that means they are accepting over 30% of applicants in state (just a guess), whereas with the 3% OOS, they can probably get away with accepting 10% or so and getting anyone else off the WL. Rough indeed.

Could be. But let's not forget that their "ED as long as you want!" policy probably helps UVA's yield quite a bit. I'd be shocked if less than 50% of their OOS admits were ED.


Crap. Totally forgot about that. Makes sense though. So OOS RD numbers are even lower. Sigh.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:51 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
sgtgrumbles wrote:Hm, this is strange. I first submitted in early November, but asked all my schools to wait for my second LOR to arrive. It was finally processed by LSAC yesterday. I see my status for UVA is "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision," but my status date is 11/3. UVA requires two letters, so my file couldn't have been complete without the one that just arrived, but the date reflects when they first received my app. Anyone know why this might be? Am I actually under review, or not?

Call the office

Good call. I don't know why I always get spooked about just contacting schools. Anyway, they told me that my application is indeed complete and that the status date discrepancy is nothing to worry about.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”