UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
well-hello-there

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby well-hello-there » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:42 pm

evandm wrote:I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all?

Yes! Showing that level of commitment can only help your chances.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:49 pm

evandm wrote:I've been complete and pending review since 9/27... And now I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all? I have a 3.4, 169 and I'm out of state. It's definitely a reach for me and I'm wondering if sending in an ED form will benefit me at all.. or if it will just speed up my rejection letter haha. Thoughts?

below both medians + OOS + ED = faster rejection letter

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:03 pm

im_blue wrote:
evandm wrote:I've been complete and pending review since 9/27... And now I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all? I have a 3.4, 169 and I'm out of state. It's definitely a reach for me and I'm wondering if sending in an ED form will benefit me at all.. or if it will just speed up my rejection letter haha. Thoughts?

below both medians + OOS + ED = faster rejection letter

I can't see how it can hurt your chances. If you are out ED you are definitely out RD. If you have already applied, you might as well try.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:31 pm

You're out. You should have applied ED to Mich.

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:53 am

wow, people are straight-up here, huh?

yeah, I'd send in ED. I agree with the above poster's logic "If you're out ED, you're out RD." It doesn't hurt to try.

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 am

pulandasu wrote:wow, people are straight-up here, huh?

yeah, I'd send in ED. I agree with the above poster's logic "If you're out ED, you're out RD." It doesn't hurt to try.

Hah, I don't mind the straight-up answers. I'm by no means delusional about my chances at UVA. Thanks for the advice all!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:02 am

Just submitted my app last night! (OOS/RD) I hope I don't get YPwnd!

Good luck all!

jimraynor

Postby jimraynor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 am

In at UVa RD via phone call this morning.

In state.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:12 am

jimraynor wrote:In at UVa RD via phone call this morning.

In state.

Congratulations! We're in the same boat :)

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 pm

i hate to be that person who is new to the thread and doesn't take the time to read through it all, but could someone do me a solid and let me know how UVA's status checker moves along?

my status checker has had 3 "file complete dates"

One original one on the 8th, one on the 19th, and one on the 22nd...but it keeps saying "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" - why didn't it change to "Under Review" for the 2nd complete date?

thanks!

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Good luck to all in this thread. Hopefully UVA doesn't play games like it did last year. They extended their ED until March and just waited people out until they ED'd. Then there was a huge massive wave of WLs.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:50 pm

CG614 wrote:Good luck to all in this thread. Hopefully UVA doesn't play games like it did last year. They extended their ED until March and just waited people out until they ED'd. Then there was a huge massive wave of WLs.

I remember this. I don't know why I applied this cycle thinking it would yield a different result. I must admit I do like their strategy (from the admin point of view).

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:59 pm

CG614 wrote:Hopefully UVA doesn't play games like it did last year. They extended their ED until March and just waited people out until they ED'd. Then there was a huge massive wave of WLs.

As a RD, OOS applicant, this makes me want to vomit. How much could a near-perfect yield rate possibly boost a school's standing in the USNWR rankings? I don't mean to disparage anyone who's gotten in already (and it's not difficult to figure out why those who've been accepted have gotten in by this point), but it really bothers me that UVA will probably waitlist a majority of applicants with both numbers above the school's 75th percentiles and who write compelling "Why UVA" statements solely because it wants the number of matriculates divided by the number of admits to be as close to 1.0 as possible. More of this year's non-Virginian, non-URM RDers who also apply to Harvard will get into Harvard than UVA.

Outside of EDing, which would be completely foolish for someone with both #s>75% to do, there may be literally nothing a stellar RD OOS applicant (even one for whom Virginia is a perfect fit) can do to get in. EDing forfeits one's ability to ensure that he/she won't have to matriculate without a large scholarship, which of course makes no sense with a HYS acceptance in hand. I can't hold UVA's admissions philosophy against its fantastic professors, but the reality that I'll have to come grovelling with a LOCI in March to have much of a shot at an acceptance is a HUGE turnoff. But I'm still willing to do it :roll:

(Edited for clarity)
Last edited by dbrddr on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm

dbrddr wrote:
CG614 wrote:Hopefully UVA doesn't play games like it did last year. They extended their ED until March and just waited people out until they ED'd. Then there was a huge massive wave of WLs.

As a RD, OOS applicant, this makes me want to vomit. How much could a near-perfect yield rate possibly boost a school's standing in the USNWR rankings? I don't mean to disparage anyone who's gotten in already (and it's not difficult to figure out why those who've been accepted have gotten in by this point), but it really bothers me that UVA will probably waitlist a majority of applicants with both numbers above the school's 75th percentiles and who write compelling "Why UVA" statements solely because it wants the number of matriculates divided by the number of admits to be as close to 1.0 as possible. More of this year's non-Virginian, non-URM RDers who also apply to Harvard will get into Harvard than UVA.

Outside of EDing, which would be completely foolish for someone with both #s>75% to do, there may be literally nothing a stellar RD OOS applicant (even one for whom Virginia is a perfect fit) can do to get in. EDing forfeits one's ability to land a huge scholarship, which of course makes no sense with a HYS acceptance in hand. I can't hold UVA's admissions philosophy against its fantastic professors, but the reality that I'll have to come grovelling with a LOCI in March to have much of a shot at an acceptance is a HUGE turnoff. But I'm still willing to do it :roll:

+1 to everything except having to grovel with a LOCI. I really, really hope it doesn't come down to that. I would be absolutely grateful to go to UVA, but for a number of reasons this pattern turns me off as well.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 pm

dbrddr wrote:

Outside of EDing, which would be completely foolish for someone with both #s>75% to do, there may be literally nothing a stellar RD OOS applicant (even one for whom Virginia is a perfect fit) can do to get in. EDing forfeits one's ability to ensure that he/she won't matriculate without a large scholarship, which of course makes no sense with a HYS acceptance in hand. I can't hold UVA's admissions philosophy against its fantastic professors, but the reality that I'll have to come grovelling with a LOCI in March to have much of a shot at an acceptance is a HUGE turnoff. But I'm still willing to do it :roll:

You said it yourself! (Easy for me to say, I fought hard to keep my VA residency) but it's hard to fault UVA for working within the same system as every other law school, IMO. Is it ridiculous and embarrassing? Sure. But for whom?

Edit: Also, Idk about the law school, but in undergrad the school HAS to have a certain number of in-state students to get tax dollars, no? Is that true for professional degrees? Would love to know this.
Last edited by arism87 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm

MissLucky wrote:i hate to be that person who is new to the thread and doesn't take the time to read through it all, but could someone do me a solid and let me know how UVA's status checker moves along?

One original one on the 8th, one on the 19th, and one on the 22nd...but it keeps saying "File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" - why didn't it change to "Under Review" for the 2nd complete date?

thanks!

I dont think it ever says "Under Review."
"File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" is their version of UR.
I have been FC, PR/D since late october. Not in state though, and I feel like the non- in state people come out later.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:08 pm

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:10 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
dbrddr wrote:

Outside of EDing, which would be completely foolish for someone with both #s>75% to do, there may be literally nothing a stellar RD OOS applicant (even one for whom Virginia is a perfect fit) can do to get in. EDing forfeits one's ability to land a huge scholarship, which of course makes no sense with a HYS acceptance in hand. I can't hold UVA's admissions philosophy against its fantastic professors, but the reality that I'll have to come grovelling with a LOCI in March to have much of a shot at an acceptance is a HUGE turnoff. But I'm still willing to do it :roll:

+1 to everything except having to grovel with a LOCI. I really, really hope it doesn't come down to that. I would be absolutely grateful to go to UVA, but for a number of reasons this pattern turns me off as well.

Agreed! I would love to get an acceptance to UVA, but if they're going to string people along like that I don't know how much I'll love them by March in the event that I get into another T10 school.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Sigh....I really hope it doesn't come to that. I wasn't involved in that cycle but rode the waitlist for the prior one until a week before class. I'm praying that they don't stick me right back on it for the long haul for yield purposes.

It was by and far my first choice that cycle and I made sure I let it be known, except that for financial purposes I can not apply ED. It started off as my first choice school this cycle by default, but while I'm still hoping to get in, its moving down the list....

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:46 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:i hate to be that person who is new to the thread and doesn't take the time to read through it all, but could someone do me a solid and let me know how UVA's status checker moves along?

thanks!

I dont think it ever says "Under Review."
"File Complete, Pending Review/Decision" is their version of UR.
I have been FC, PR/D since late october. Not in state though, and I feel like the non- in state people come out later.

ah, got it. thanks s0ph1e!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 pm

i hate to break it to everyone, but UVA OOS RD is an elaborate flame. We're never going to get answers.

i should have never moved from virginia.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 pm

hipstermafia wrote:i hate to break it to everyone, but UVA OOS RD is an elaborate flame. We're never going to get answers.

i should have never moved from virginia.

+1, I should move TO Virginia. Too bad moving in with my uncle would've created a nightmare for the financial aid process though.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:+1, I should move TO Virginia. Too bad moving in with my uncle would've created a nightmare for the financial aid process though.

& too bad you need to live there 1 year prior to applying to claim 'residency'

ads222

Postby ads222 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:31 am

Magnifique1908 wrote:Sigh....I really hope it doesn't come to that. I wasn't involved in that cycle but rode the waitlist for the prior one until a week before class. I'm praying that they don't stick me right back on it for the long haul for yield purposes.

It was by and far my first choice that cycle and I made sure I let it be known, except that for financial purposes I can not apply ED. It started off as my first choice school this cycle by default, but while I'm still hoping to get in, its moving down the list....

+1
visited and fell in love with UVA even more, but, for a lot of reasons, I'm not comfortable EDing anywhere -- and it scares me a little to hear that all the acceptances so far are either in-state or URM -- which, I know, is such a generalization and is meant to help everyone relax. but as a waiting URM, I feel like chopped liver haha, like my chances are diminishing every day. Rude.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 am

silly question. I noticed that in the "Fees" section of the status checker that I have spots for "seat deposit 1" and "seat deposit 2." The amounts are both 0. I didn't notice these before, but then again I didn't really look closely. Does everyone else have these?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”